Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I thought i wanted a 12" powerbook for college, i was on my brother's 12" ibook and the screen was small to look at for a while... The next step up would be the 15". Do you think it would be to big for college use in the class room....? I used to carry around a 14" ibook so i'm used to the weight, although lighter will be better!
Thanks for your help!

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
i'm using a 12" pb in college and i think it's great. be sure to increase the font size for your apps (safari f.e.) and you'll be fine. i feel when you get a portable computer (laptop), it should be just that: fully functional at the smallest possible size. i'd love to have the backlit keyboard though.

check out this thread for some more opinions on the 12" pb.

phonic pol

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
I have the 15" powerbook and it's really portable. I have no qualms about carring it around. I'd find it hard to go to a 12" now, the screen real estate is so good on the 15".

jsulens

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Calvinatir said:
I take my 17" PB to class, no hassle, no problems
u dont think i will have any trouble hauling around a 15'' and typing in class do u? do you ever get croweded with the 17''?

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I'm very glad I bought the 17" means I can have either my browser - or main app window open normal size, and keep MSN Messenger AND iChat windows open on the side - without having to reduce the size of my Word doc, Powerpoint window, Safari window - or lots of other windows!!!

Very handy!

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I just bought a 15" for college, and i can't wait to bring it to class everyday so people will stare at me and have their mouths drop open and their tongues hanging down to the floor. (Everyone i know up there has iBooks and are jealous of the poowerbooks, don't really know why). But I love this thing, it is amazing. I don't how this could be a problem carrying to class everyday. I also see how the 17" could be used in class everyday too. But i prefer the 15", it's just my taste. The 17" screen is amazing but i liked having a screen that wasn't as wide for the things i do, plus it was just too much money.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Hmm, I suppose what kinda of desk the school has would be the first question. You don't want the PB to take over your entire desk.
In Australia at least they are fairly large tables to a person so you could easily put a 17" on.
12" tends to be the best for portability and suits schooling well.

And the other thing is what are you going to be doing with it mainly? Word, PowerPoint/KeyNote can easily be done on a 12" but doing more bigger stuff like video editing is more suited to the 15" and 20".

But ya know, I'm not exactly sure what you guys do in college as we don't have the same thing down here.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I have a 15-incher that I occasionally took to class (not too often, I was an English major). It just barely fit on the the desks (we had those integrated desk-chair thingies), but it worked fine. I think a 17-incher would be too big, but I guess that's a matter of personal preference. The main thing is to get a backpack/carrying bag that accommodates your computer. Some of the "standard" computer bags aren't big enough for a 15-incher. Once you've got the right bag, the 15-incher doesn't actually weigh much more than an iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.