Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
While trying to upgrade my 1st gen MacBook to Snow Leopard I THINK I discovered that my superdrive is dead... I got everything backed up and then popped in the snow leopard disk, nothing happened. I couldn't get snow leopard to mount or anything. It would spin up and then eject itself. Thinking it was a problem with the snow leopard disk I tried a leopard(10.5) disk and the same thing, then I tried a DVD movie and the same thing happened. I checked my AppleCare status and of course the warranty is up. Soooooo, is my super drive dead or is it possibly something else? Its my mothers computer, and she doesn't really need the super drive but it bugs me, haha. Is it worth taking it to Apple to get fixed or should I just get a new MacBook. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
First question, how often do you need it and is it essential?

If you just use it to install software (most of which you can download now) or watch the occasional movie, try living with it and see.. since you just noticed I can only imagine that you don't use it THAT much and now that you notice it it really bugs ya.. I know how it is.

If you really need or want it fixed, try a local Apple repair place since it's out of warranty. Compare and see how much it is and if it's worth it. I'd imagine it will be about $100-$200..

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
First question, how often do you need it and is it essential?

If you just use it to install software (most of which you can download now) or watch the occasional movie, try living with it and see.. since you just noticed I can only imagine that you don't use it THAT much and now that you notice it it really bugs ya.. I know how it is.

If you really need or want it fixed, try a local Apple repair place since it's out of warranty. Compare and see how much it is and if it's worth it. I'd imagine it will be about $100-$200..

He would like to install Snow Leopard, which he can't download legally, so i think he probably does need it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.