PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router question

excalibur313
Jul 3, 2004, 09:45 AM
In college next year I'd like to be able to use my computer wirelessly in my dorm but the campus doesn't have wireless capabilities, just ethernet. They say that they do not want routers in the dorm but i was curious if there was a way to make my computer wireless, only allowing my computer on and thus being invisible to itc (what i mean by that is that they can't see that a router is attached in my dorm....i might be wrong but isn't the reason they can see is when a computer gets a new ip thats assigned by the router and not the college campus) Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Stephen

PlaceofDis
Jul 3, 2004, 10:31 AM
the system admin might be able to tell no matter what, as far as i know there is no way around it....however the one thing that i know you can do that will work for most people checking for networks on campus would be to make your network "closed" so that if someone wants to join it, even you, they would have to enter the network name and password to gain access. This means that people looking for networks would not be able to find yours unless they knew both of those....hopefully someone else can help with masking your ip or whatnot

macopia
Jul 3, 2004, 10:40 AM
You probably have to give the MAC address of your ethernet card to your network admin. Just give them the MAC address of the router and create a closed network.

excalibur313
Jul 3, 2004, 11:05 AM
What about if i made it so that the wireless router was passive and didn't give out new ip addresses?

12ibookg4
Jul 3, 2004, 11:19 AM
you could turn off ssid broadcast and have the router only assign ip addresses to your MAC address

RBMaraman
Jul 3, 2004, 11:50 AM
you could turn off ssid broadcast and have the router only assign ip addresses to your MAC address

That still won't work. My university has a "no router in dorm room" policy, and when one is plugged in (wireless or not), it sets off a flag in the technology office indicating a firewall hole. I tried to go wireless, and I turned off SSID broadcasting, enabled WEP password, only assigned ip addesses to my MAC address, and it still set off my universities equipment.

excalibur313: DO NOT even attempt to go wireless on a campus network. You are paying to use THEIR network, so you must follow their rules. When I went wireless, I just got a warning. My friend got his internet shutoff permanently. At the University of Evansville, I pay $50 per year to use the university network. When my friend got his internet turned off, he has to pay $50 per month for a cable modem. If you want cheap internet, follow your universities guidelines.