Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
My HD is going out on G3 CD-R iMac, I want to put in a 7200 prm drive.
Will this be too hot? has any one done this? were there any issues?
Thanks.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
imnotquitesure said:
My HD is going out on G3 CD-R iMac, I want to put in a 7200 prm drive.
Will this be too hot? has any one done this? were there any issues?
Thanks.

I've heard of people doing it succesfully, but you must check the heat profile to be a close match to the one you're replacing. I've heard a lot of horror stories even concerning 5400 rpm drives in G3 iMacs.

You'd be happy with the speed, though, even for a short while. ;)

jwdawso

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2002
Think Quiet!

I put in a maxtor 7200, and had no problems for 2 years. HOWEVER, it turned my quiet iMac SE DV much louder. I have since replaced it with a Seagate 7200 (both were 80 GB), and it returned back the quietness. That's been 6 months, and have had no problems.

BTW - it was much easier taking it apart the second time than the first!

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Concerns about 7200 rpm drives in G3 iMacs is simply a load of FUD.

I've been running a 7200 rpm Maxtor drive in my iMac for over two years, it's on 24/7 and it's fine. I know three other people who have done the same and have heard of several others who've done the same.

Don't worry the iMac is fine with a 7200 rpm drive.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
most 7200 rpm hard drives run at around the same heat as older 5400 rpm ones due to better technology

just avoid western digital there drives are the worst ever they fail quickly there are many horror storys

maxtors are ok

seagates, IBM (Hitachi) and samsung's are good

(i have a 120GB Maxtor from a lacie firewire HD in my cube and it ran without a fan for a while before i did a prosessor upgrade)

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I got a western digital

I got the WD over the Maxtor. I have a Maxtor and it has given me problems. I got a 160 GB 7200rpm. Ill will never use this much space before replacing this machine. Ill put it in tommorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.