Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsulens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
does anyone here have any experience with hooking thier powerbook up to an external monitor (20'' or 23'' apple display). i am looking to get a powerbook and the new external monitor, but i do not want to drop all that cash if the powerbook is not going to be strong enough to run the external display properly. The 12'' only has 64mb of vram, i dont know if that will be enough or not. does anyone have any experience with any of this?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jsulens said:
does anyone here have any experience with hooking thier powerbook up to an external monitor (20'' or 23'' apple display). i am looking to get a powerbook and the new external monitor, but i do not want to drop all that cash if the powerbook is not going to be strong enough to run the external display properly. The 12'' only has 64mb of vram, i dont know if that will be enough or not. does anyone have any experience with any of this?

You should be just fine with a powerbook and a 20 or 23" display. I have hooked up my powerbook to a 23" with no problem, and have seen the 12" do the same. If you want see response time - take your PB to an Apple store and hook it up! :p

jsulens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
ok thanks good idea. i have bene to an apple store before and played around with a 12'' powerbook connected to a 20'' apple display and it seemed to work fine. but i wasnt really running any tests of any sort and i wasnt really intrested in buying one at the time like i am now. do u think the video card in the new 12'' pb will be fine if i am viewing dvds web brousing ect?

omala

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2004
jsulens said:
ok thanks good idea. i have bene to an apple store before and played around with a 12'' powerbook connected to a 20'' apple display and it seemed to work fine. but i wasnt really running any tests of any sort and i wasnt really intrested in buying one at the time like i am now. do u think the video card in the new 12'' pb will be fine if i am viewing dvds web brousing ect?

It'll be fine. I'm typing this on a 12" PB 1.33 that's driving a 19" monitor, sometimes at 1600x1200 (if I'm working) and sometimes at 1280x1024 (if I want to give my eyes a break). It plays DVDs and Warcraft 3 (among other things) with no problems - that fx5200's a midrange card for PCs these days but still pretty hot stuff for a notebook.

jsulens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
ok thanks omala, i doubt i will be playing any games at high resolutons on the external monitor or anything like that. i am just glad that the pb can still perform regular tasks. do u ever see any slowdowns or huge hits the powerbook takes while using an external monitor?

jsulens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
sweet, i cant wait. i now feel more comfortable about buying the 12'' pb as well as the new 23" cenima display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.