Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asteroids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Trying to setup a VPN account with Macbook using 10.5.8. My VPN server provided me with files but no directions for setting this up with the built in VPN on my macbook.

I received two *.crt files that I clicked on and both were added to my system keychain with full trust. The problem is I do not have any certificates detected when setting up the connection under network. Suggestions?

I get this message after selecting certificate:
Certificate authentication cannot be used because your keychain does not contain any suitable certificates. Use Keychain Access to import the appropriate certificates into your keychain. If you do not have the certificates required for authentication, contact your network administrator.

Thxs
BT

p120ph37

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
It sounds like you probably are lacking the private key portion of your client certificate. *.crt files usually contain only the certificate part and not the private key. You need to get the key and certificate bundled together into a PKCS12 format file (*.p12) in order to import it in a way that the VPN client can use.

You can use the "combine_cert.sh" script from my project ( https://github.com/p120ph37/darwin-racoon-cisco-cert-fix ) to combine your "crt" and "key" files into a "p12" file.

If for some reason you don't have the key file, you may want to go through the certificate-request process again using the scripts from my project.

Also, if you are trying to connect to a Cisco VPN server, you may need to use the fixed "racoon" binary from my project to get the certificate authentication to work right.

And finally, if you need more detailed instructions, see the README in my project.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.