Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The music streaming app by Spotify, a popular Swedish music subscription service, is now available in the App Store. It was reported just last month that the app had been approved by Apple and the app was expected to be available in the App Store shortly.

The app is capable of streaming music over Wi-Fi or an EDGE or 3G data connection. It also offers the ability to store offline playlists that can be listened to in the absence of a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection, a feature that directly competes with the iPhone's iPod application.

Spotify offers a video demonstrating the app on YouTube, which can be viewed here.

Spotify's music subscription service is only available in a handful of European countries at the moment, including Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France and Spain. Accordingly, the Spotify app is not available in the U.S. App Store. Where it is available, the app is free though a Spotify Premium account at a monthly cost of €9.99 is required to use it.

Article Link: 'Spotify' App Appears in App Store

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I just went to the App Store using Spotify's website link and no go.
The app doesn't seem to be there.

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Upgraded to Premium first day

This is the killer app that the iPhone needs!

Works great but the following needs to be addressed:

- Should work in the background. Apple must allow for at least one music app to run in the background, not just iPod. Some apps have a built-in browser to at least allow for web surf while listening but it's better to allow background execution.

- Sync for offline listening only works on Wi-Fi. Why? My tests indicate a bit rate of about 1Mbit/s while syncing, I normally have 2-3 Mbit/s on 3G cellular. Restriction dictated by AT&T / Apple? Should not exist according to AT&T's answer to FCC questions. Remove this restriction!

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England

That's because of this:

Spotify's music subscription service is only available in a handful of European countries at the moment, including Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France and Spain. Accordingly, the Spotify app is not available in the U.S. App Store. Where it is available, the app is free though a Spotify Premium account at a monthly cost of €9.99 is required to use it.

;)

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Downloaded at work, sync'd all my playlists really quickly and works very good except for the occasional hiccup when i am on the bus and my signal drops from 3G to gprs and then back to 3G it then stutters.

Very impressed!:D

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009

Spotify is not available in all countries yet, not in the US. Not visible at appshopper.com, thought that page was international but I was wrong.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ahhh see, MR was clear, Spotify was not immediately clear to me. :( I thought it was UK only but what did I know? ;)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I've already got like 37 different ways to play my music... don't really need another one. :p Simplify Music 2.0 is a great way to access my entire music collection using my iPhone, and I am within 3G or WiFi roughly 99.999% of the time.

I am glad to see that Apple aren't being jerks about approving apps that may encroach somewhat on their "territory".

Well, I haven't posted on MacRumors for ages, but I couldn't resist. As soon as I saw this thread, I went off and purchased the Spotify Premium subscription and downloaded the app. I'm already a Napster subscriber so the concept of "renting" music doesn't pyshcologically distress me as it clearly does to many people on the net.

Instead I've been waiting ages for Napster to do a similar service. But now that Spotify's beaten them to it, looks like I may have to cancel my Napster subscription.

I can't stress enough just how MUCH I've been looking forward to be able to stream more or less any song, where ever you are. The freedom is just unbelievable! :eek: Whether it's out and about and I hear a song I like in a store or cafe, or I'm simply in the lounge and I just feel like listening to a particular song, right now, without having to purchase and download it first.

I personally think this is a massive gamechanger. I just wish people were more willing to embrace subscription music. I was all against it myself when I first heard the idea but then I tried a 7 day Napster trial and I was hooked. I've got a Napster To Go subscription using my Sony Walkman but this really is an amazing step up from that. Why download music in the first place or worry about taking up precious space when you can just simply stream it on demand?

To me, that's GREAT value for £9.99.

Long may Spotify live and hopefully it'll encourage more people to stop illegally downloading music (well, one can hope!) :D

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Well, I haven't posted on MacRumors for ages, but I couldn't resist. As soon as I saw this thread, I went off and purchased the Spotify Premium subscription and downloaded the app. I'm already a Napster subscriber so the concept of "renting" music doesn't pyshcologically distress me as it clearly does to many people on the net.

Instead I've been waiting ages for Napster to do a similar service. But now that Spotify's beaten them to it, looks like I may have to cancel my Napster subscription.

I can't stress enough just how MUCH I've been looking forward to be able to stream more or less any song, where ever you are. The freedom is just unbelievable! :eek: Whether it's out and about and I hear a song I like in a store or cafe, or I'm simply in the lounge and I just feel like listening to a particular song, right now, without having to purchase and download it first.

I personally think this is a massive gamechanger. I just wish people were more willing to embrace subscription music. I was all against it myself when I first heard the idea but then I tried a 7 day Napster trial and I was hooked. I've got a Napster To Go subscription using my Sony Walkman but this really is an amazing step up from that. Why download music in the first place or worry about taking up precious space when you can just simply stream it on demand?

To me, that's GREAT value for £9.99.

Long may Spotify live and hopefully it'll encourage more people to stop illegally downloading music (well, one can hope!) :D

I agree that it is a great idea, wether or not it is a game changer remains still to be seen in my opinion. I bought the subscription and got the free app to be a compliment to my iTunes catalogue as intend to still buy albums from my favourite bands. For me this the freedom to explore new music, to seek out bands and albums i probably would never look twice at before. Has it worked?

Hell yes! This app is amazing!

Nick--

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Spotify and Airport Express??

I've been using Napster for ages, and it's always annoyed me not being able to use a Napster to Go subscription with an iPhone. I'm also switching to Mac soon this couldn't have arrived at a better time. Bye, bye Napster hello Spotify. I downloaded it today and got a premium subscription, it works very well indeed.

Now all we need is Spotify to link into Airport express speakers!

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
I was reading throu the comments and those stupid "Fail" comments are ridiculous.

People forget that Spotify is a business and they need to make money. It was a BRILLIANT idea that they make you have the Premium sub for the iphone version. It got me to signup for premium.

If you cant afford 33p per day, stick to the pirate bay. :)

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
I was reading throu the comments and those stupid "Fail" comments are ridiculous.

People forget that Spotify is a business and they need to make money. It was a BRILLIANT idea that they make you have the Premium sub for the iphone version. It got me to signup for premium.

If you cant afford 33p per day, stick to the pirate bay. :)

Yes and it actually feels great to pay for this huge and fast growing selection that is immediately available. Why spend money and time on buying music or downloading using The Pirate Bay now?

jimbarnes

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Glasgow, UK
Anyone else think Apple is going to announce an iTunes payment/subscription service on Wednesday that will compete head-to-head with Spotify?

Spotify is an amazing app but I'm worried that Apple is going to totally hit the nail on the head and start a subscription service on Wednesday that undercuts Spotify by a few pounds a month..

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Anyone else think Apple is going to announce an iTunes payment/subscription service on Wednesday that will compete head-to-head with Spotify?

Spotify is an amazing app but I'm worried that Apple is going to totally hit the nail on the head and start a subscription service on Wednesday that undercuts Spotify by a few pounds a month..

Or why not Spotify integration in the iPod app? Shouldn't matter to either Apple or Spotify since the premium service is required. An iPod integration will at least allow it to run in the background.

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.

The same thought went through my mind as I just subscribed to Spotify Premium... It's easy to cancel Spotify, however, so it's only a tenner lost (and I've probably got two quid's worth out of it this evening...)

Steve.

Nick--

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Yes I did mean Spotify directly to airport directly from the ipod. How about Shazam sending identified songs directly to Spotify playlist, that'd be good too.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Apple announce a subscription service on Wednesday, let's wait and see, not long now.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
WTH, it's nowhere to be found in the App Store. :confused:

Did you consider reading the article? It is available, here. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.