PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla takes advantage of recent IE security holes

MacBytes
Jul 3, 2004, 05:09 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Mozilla takes advantage of recent IE security holes (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040703180919)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

awulf
Jul 3, 2004, 09:16 PM
I recommend that all IE users on Windows switch to Mozilla FireFox. I gave the advice to two clients and the one I heard back from really loves FireFox and can't believe how inferior IE is.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 3, 2004, 10:50 PM
I agree with the above member's suggestion. I use Firefox at work, and it has to be my favorite browser for the PC, hands down. Just try it, you can always switch back... but you won't. ;)

Nermal
Jul 3, 2004, 11:12 PM
And unlike switching to a Mac, you can switch to Firefox for free :D

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if Apple were to make an OS X "live CD" for x86? In other words, a bootable CD containing the OS and a few apps, but it would not be possible to install the OS onto a hard drive or install additional applications. It would let Windows users try out the OS though, without spending a cent :)

noverflow
Jul 4, 2004, 11:54 AM
And unlike switching to a Mac, you can switch to Firefox for free :D

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if Apple were to make an OS X "live CD" for x86? In other words, a bootable CD containing the OS and a few apps, but it would not be possible to install the OS onto a hard drive or install additional applications. It would let Windows users try out the OS though, without spending a cent :)

Linux PPC did that.
It was the slowest thing second to only cold molasses.

Nermal
Jul 4, 2004, 11:15 PM
I see. But I'm sure Apple could do a better job than a no-name Linux distributor :)

shamino
Jul 6, 2004, 10:52 AM
Nice idea, but why would any company go through all of the trouble to port a system like OS X to a new platform if they have no intention of actually selling anything for that platform.

If you can only run the few bundled apps, you can get the same effect with a Shockwave applet - you won't have to port the OS and you won't have to worry about hackers figuring out how to bypass your no-install security restrictions.