PDA

View Full Version : Apple's iMac Attack

MacBytes
Jul 3, 2004, 05:09 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple\'s iMac Attack (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040703180936)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

montex
Jul 3, 2004, 05:57 PM
Missing the 'Back to School' sale on the iMac is unfortunate, but I think most students benefit from having laptops more than desktops anyway. You can take your iBook to class, the library or science lab and use them more conveniently than a desktop that is planted in a dorm room. This paradigm shift may be the reason the iMac sales were slulmping in the first place.

Besides, everybody knows the delay is from putting the G5 into the iMac and that will be worth waiting for!

sjk
Jul 3, 2004, 06:36 PM
Let's see if Apple manages to ship a G5-based iMac replacement w/ 15" LCD (detached or AIO) for under $1K. That price with a 17" LCD would be miraculously unexpected... and seriously killing the eMac.

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 3, 2004, 06:41 PM
I agree that a student would be better off with a ibook than a desktop like the imac, but missing the back to school sale will cost Apple some sales.

I still think something happened at Apple that caused this to not be shown at the WWDC. The stock would take a nose dive if they introduced the imac G5 in the keynote and it crashed or caught on fire. :eek:

awulf
Jul 3, 2004, 09:11 PM
Maybe Apple didn't announce the new iMac at WWDC because it maybe something so innovative and new that Dell would copy and release something similar by the time Apple actually ships the new iMac.
So by announcing and shipping at the same time would result a delay of PC manufacturers copying Apple.

This is my theory anyway.

Students who want to buy a Desktop can just buy an eMac, they are cheaper and do everything a student could want it to.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 3, 2004, 10:57 PM
At my school, many students wait to purchase thier machines unitl the semester is well underway. This way, they can get technology comparable to what they need. At least in the case of my school, all is not lost.

nagromme
Jul 4, 2004, 04:30 AM
The eMac is the big back-to-school desktop. The iMac less so.

thatwendigo
Jul 4, 2004, 11:46 PM
Let's see if Apple manages to ship a G5-based iMac replacement w/ 15" LCD (detached or AIO) for under $1K. That price with a 17" LCD would be miraculously unexpected... and seriously killing the eMac.

You're talking about $350-500 in monitor, which leaves very little room for computer. Even making the giant leap of hope that Apple could magically build a G5 system that's as cheap as the iMac, you still arrive at a cost that's over that price point. We've done this dance before, and I've shown how even a comparably specced PC in parts alone would cost quite a hefty chunk of change.

Best not to get your hopes up.

sjk
Jul 5, 2004, 02:44 PM
My point was that hitting Fred Anderson's sub-$1K sweet spot with a complete iMac replacement system, especially a G5-based box + external Apple display, seems unlikely.

Word is that at the WWDC "Apple in the Enterprise: Myths vs. Reality" session the audience was strongly requesting a headless iMac. A case was made for schools and businesses who want to share desktop space with a PC, or switch to Mac, and reuse perfectly good PC monitors. A G4 was sufficient, e.g. ~$600 eMac minus the display.

Add a ~$400 display and you've hit the $1K sweet spot, while another G4 system would surely disappoint many people here even if it's headless. But there's some sense to that because the reusable display leaves more incentive for a G5 Power Mac (or whatever) later. Yet Apple wouldn't sell as many displays or have any profit from them as an AIO component.

Would, say, a ~$600 1.5GHz G4, 8x SuperDrive, etc. with a $1300 20" cinema display priced closer to the 17" than 20" AIO iMac be an "acceptable" 20" iMac replacement? Still not good enough for some gamers. And what 15"/17" replacements? Does Apple want to sell ~$1K LCD "home" systems? I dunno what the "Apple way" would be to satisfy customer diversity at this product level.

Hope, on a rumor forum? ;)