PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express with B & W G3?

C J Hansen
Jul 3, 2004, 11:49 PM
I have an (older) Blue and White G3 which I am not currently using. B & W G3 is an older computer, and doesn't support an airport card.
I have an Airport (ice) base station hooked up to my cable modem, which is serving 2 Apple laptops in the house equipped with Airport cards. Everything works beautiful, fast and very dependable - no hardware issues, ever.

Question is this - I still love the (old) B & W G3, and would like to know if I buy the new Airport Express product, can I hook it up (with an ethernet cable) to the B & W G3, and access my Airport network? I've scoured the Apple website for this kind of application endorsement, and havn't found any.
I'm not sure if what I'm describing is called an ethernet or wireless BRIDGE?

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

crazzyeddie
Jul 4, 2004, 12:16 AM
No, Airport Express will not work as an ethernet bridge. You can however buy an ethernet bridge at Best Buy for $30 - $70, which will work with any 802.11x network.

N10248
Jul 4, 2004, 05:28 AM
I put a Belkin 54G PCI wireless adaptor in my B&W 350 and it shows up as an airport card.
The only minor problem arose when i reinstalled 10.2.3 from my original OS X discs but as soon as it was updated to 10.2.8 it was fine. it connects to my Extreme base everytime without problems and only cost 25
link: Here (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=141055&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F)

Any PCI wireless card that uses a "broadcom" chipset SHOULD work (it says it on the black chip on the card).

Bye