PDA

View Full Version : Flickr App Pops into App Store

MacRumors
Sep 8, 2009, 09:50 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/08/flickr-app-pops-into-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/08/104047-flickr-1.jpg

Yahoo's Flickr service now has a native app available in the App Store. We recently reported (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/17/iphone-becomes-most-popular-camera-for-flickr-photos/) that the iPhone had become the most popular cell phone camera used to upload photos to the image sharing site and it's likely this new native app will only increase its popularity among Flickr users.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/08/104047-flickr-2.jpg

When you first sign in to the Flickr app, you are required to authorize the app to use your Flickr account, which is done through Safari on the iPhone. After this, uploads to your Flickr account will be handled directly through the app with no further authorization requests.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/08/104047-flickr-3.jpg

The app can geotag your photos and offers immediate access to your recent uploads, your entire Flickr stream, and those of your Flickr contacts.

The Flickr app is free and can be found here (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=328407587&mt=8) (link opens iTunes).

Article Link: Flickr App Pops into App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/08/flickr-app-pops-into-app-store/)

batchtaster
Sep 8, 2009, 10:10 AM
US Store only. That's piss-poor.

Fafafoooey
Sep 8, 2009, 10:12 AM
As I said!

Michael73
Sep 8, 2009, 10:20 AM
I'm not a Flickr user so I have a question...

When you upload a picture, does it upload in full resolution or does it further compress them?

What I have in the back of my mind is whether I could use Flickr like iDisk by uploading pictures in full resolution to Flickr and then when I get home downloading them to my Mac.

CrackedButter
Sep 8, 2009, 10:34 AM
Download fine here in the UK and I'm using it. What you talking about US only?

stellarceltic
Sep 8, 2009, 10:41 AM
We recently reported (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/17/iphone-becomes-most-popular-camera-for-flickr-photos/) that the iPhone had become the most popular cell phone camera used to upload photos to the image sharing site.

Sure... when you seperate the Canon EOS Digital Rebel models, and combine all iPhone models.

chimerical
Sep 8, 2009, 10:46 AM
Side note, the Yahoo! Finance and Yahoo! Fantasy Football apps for the iPhone OS are also out today.

Keyhole
Sep 8, 2009, 10:49 AM
Sure... when you seperate the Canon EOS Digital Rebel models, and combine all iPhone models.

:confused: Canon came out with a mobile phone?

Otaviano
Sep 8, 2009, 10:53 AM
US Store only. That's piss-poor.

Not available in the Swedish store :(

sneeks
Sep 8, 2009, 10:58 AM
Downloaded and installed from the UK store. Great app.

abbstrack
Sep 8, 2009, 11:01 AM
the app has potential, but still needs work. the UI is nice, but as a mobileFoto user for the better part of the last year, there are 2 things that struck me as odd on the Flickr app:

1) I dont have access to all my sets. As a working photographer I typically use Flickr to have mobile access to all my post-edited shoots, which I organize/arrange into sets. The Flickr app loads up the most recent 52 sets, but nothing beyond there. I'm hoping this is a bug that will be fixed rather than a limitation. On mobilefotos i am not limited with the amount of sets I can access.

2) ability to save photos to your photo library or as wallpaper is missing. i would assume this is something that will be coming in a later update hopefully

aside from those 2, i like the interface, and while to me the 2nd isnt that important, it is important that I be able to access all my sets. having paid for mobilefotos already i dont see myself discarding/discontinuing use any time soon, but it would be nice if i had this option in the flickr app as well

dumell
Sep 8, 2009, 11:05 AM
Not available in Finland either. Same story with the Eye-Fi application that can be used to upload photos to Flickr. Annoying.

intrepid00
Sep 8, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm not a Flickr user so I have a question...

When you upload a picture, does it upload in full resolution or does it further compress them?

What I have in the back of my mind is whether I could use Flickr like iDisk by uploading pictures in full resolution to Flickr and then when I get home downloading them to my Mac.

It is crap, ****, and poo. It cuts the image quality in half. Use Darkslide.

On that note when will Apple let them use the stored geo tag instead of where you are currently standing.

stellarceltic
Sep 8, 2009, 11:16 AM
:confused: Canon came out with a mobile phone?

My bad. The linked article claims that the iPhone is the most popular camera on Flickr.

tangerineyum
Sep 8, 2009, 11:59 AM
Yahoo's Flickr service now has a native app available in the App Store. We recently reported that the iPhone had become the most popular cell phone camera used to upload photos to the image sharing site

Did you miss the part where it said most popular cell phone camera, not most popular camera?

DipDog3
Sep 8, 2009, 12:24 PM
But Still, Flickr is a little late to the party don't you think?

eastercat
Sep 8, 2009, 12:31 PM
If their previous submissions didn't meet Apple's standards, that would explain the delay. Also, who knows the level of interest in an app at Flickr. Maybe they only had one person working on it part time.

stellarceltic
Sep 8, 2009, 01:05 PM
Did you miss the part where it said most popular cell phone camera, not most popular camera?

Did you miss the part where I corrected myself?

SFStateStudent
Sep 8, 2009, 01:12 PM
Side note, the Yahoo! Finance and Yahoo! Fantasy Football apps for the iPhone OS are also out today.

Totally cool; long overdue....

Maybe late, but at least they're dancin'....:cool:

FreeState
Sep 8, 2009, 02:03 PM
Just in time for tomorrows launch of iPods with cameras:)

jonny
Sep 8, 2009, 02:44 PM
The image quality aspect is a dealbreaker for me.
I can't speak to Darkslide, but Mobile Fotos is much better than this 'official app' on many levels.

intrepid00
Sep 8, 2009, 04:22 PM
I can't speak to Darkslide, but Mobile Fotos is much better than this 'official app' on many levels.

Mobile Fotos is better. It wasn't at first but I just looked at it after not looking at it for a long time. The only good thing about Flickr app is its launch point and it's free.

I just wish it could delete for those accident uploads.

Rojo
Sep 8, 2009, 04:29 PM
Wow, what a MAJOR disappointment. I've been using Flickr's mobile web app for a while now, but have been patiently waiting for a native app since the introduction of the app store. But after playing with it for a few minutes, I've already deleted it an back to using the mobile web app.

There are sooo many problems, frustrations and/or bugs with this release. The recent activity feature is a mishmashed mess, with no way to finetune or control what it is. It takes at least an extra step (or two or three) more to do anything than the web app. It doesn't show any "extra" photos people might add below their main photo (my contacts and I do this ALL the time). And worst of all, the interface in general is soooooooooooo slow!! Agonizingly slow.

About the ONLY improvements over the web app are tags (which aren't that important to me), and the larger/nicer display of images (something that REALLY wanted me to keep the app -- but everything else was just too crappy about it).

I really hope this app adds more features, finetuning/control, and gets considerably faster. For now, the mobile web app works fine for me...

str1f3
Sep 8, 2009, 05:21 PM
I've just started using flickr and I was looking for a great iPhone app for the past few days before the app came out. My questions are:

1. Is not being able to pinch and zoom only in the official flickr app or is it the same for Darkslide and Mobile Fotos?

2. Is the whole Ken Burns effect only on the starting page because I don't see that ability for viewing photostreams?

3. Does the official app upload the full resolution of the picture?

jonny
Sep 8, 2009, 06:13 PM
I've just started using flickr and I was looking for a great iPhone app for the past few days before the app came out. My questions are:

1. Is not being able to pinch and zoom only in the official flickr app or is it the same for Darkslide and Mobile Fotos?

2. Is the whole Ken Burns effect only on the starting page because I don't see that ability for viewing photostreams?

3. Does the official app upload the full resolution of the picture?

1. Can't speak to other apps but pinch and zoom works in Mobile Fotos
2. don't know
3. No. it sizes it down. completely useless. (EDIT: for example, a photo uploaded by Mobile Fotos is 1600 x 1200 and a photo uploaded by Flickr app is 600 x 450)

ob81
Sep 8, 2009, 11:24 PM
Glad they did something native. It really still needs some work though, but at least I can go straight through flickr now.

Apollo21
Sep 9, 2009, 12:53 AM
Did you miss the part where I corrected myself?

Why did you correct yourself? You were right the first time. The people trying to correct you apparently can't reason intelligently, because the linked article and graph make it very clear that they meant to say all cameras.

chenks
Sep 9, 2009, 05:48 AM
are you guys sure about the re-sizing of the image uploaded using the flickr app is not just a flickr app issue ?

i uploaded the same image using mobilefotos and flickr and they both were uploaded at 1600x1200 (confirmed it by clicking on "all sizes" on the flickr website). full size is 20481536 ? so it's not just the flickr app that doesn't upload the full resolution

the flickr app does seem to strip ALL the exif data out of the image though (even the "taken with apple iphone tag"). mobilefotos does not do this.

chenks
Sep 9, 2009, 06:13 AM
3. No. it sizes it down. completely useless. (EDIT: for example, a photo uploaded by Mobile Fotos is 1600 x 1200 and a photo uploaded by Flickr app is 600 x 450)

i tested it and it certainly didn't size it down to 600x450.
the uploaded image was 1600x1200, which is the same size as mobilefotos uploads.

jonny
Sep 9, 2009, 06:31 AM
i tested it and it certainly didn't size it down to 600x450.
the uploaded image was 1600x1200, which is the same size as mobilefotos uploads.

Hmm. Were you per chance on wifi? I tested on 3g.

Pika
Sep 9, 2009, 06:36 AM
The only thing i would like is the ability to get the link address for the picture as i usually upload to flickr and post the pictures on a forum... does the mobile fotos app do that ?

chenks
Sep 9, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hmm. Were you per chance on wifi? I tested on 3g.

yes on wifi

jonny
Sep 9, 2009, 07:27 AM
yes on wifi

well then they need a pref in the iPhone settings so we can turn the resize off for uploads done on a mobile network. :confused:

jonny
Sep 9, 2009, 07:30 AM
The only thing i would like is the ability to get the link address for the picture as i usually upload to flickr and post the pictures on a forum... does the mobile fotos app do that ?

in mobile fotos you can link to the photo via twitter, send via email, OR open in safari which in turn gets you the link via the browser.

DustyLBottoms
Sep 9, 2009, 07:47 AM
This needs the ability to delete searches, the wife doesn't need to see me searching for.....stuff.

jonny
Sep 9, 2009, 07:53 AM
This needs the ability to delete searches, the wife doesn't need to see me searching for.....stuff.

bahahahahaha....
we should contact support and let our opinions be heard.

stellarceltic
Sep 9, 2009, 07:57 AM
Why did you correct yourself? You were right the first time. The people trying to correct you apparently can't reason intelligently, because the linked article and graph make it very clear that they meant to say all cameras.

I think they meant to (and did) say cameraphones. They said cameras in the first article, and it was pointed out in the comments that it wasn't really the case. They are probably just taking the conservative approach here by saying cameraphone.

Anyway, I look forward to testing this bad boy out today, but it doesn't sound like it's a must-have.

nagromme
Sep 9, 2009, 09:53 AM

Darkslide doesn't fully pinch-zoom. Pinch gesture just expands to full the full screen (supporting any phone orientation) without black margins. So in effect, it zooms a bit on the center of the image.

(I like that Darkslide can show you other photos taken near your current location. Do Mobile Fotos and the official Flickr app do that?)

kindashoulda
Sep 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
Looks great. My friend downloaded and said it was pretty good. Will download later today and check it out.

jonny
Sep 9, 2009, 11:12 AM
Darkslide doesn't fully pinch-zoom. Pinch gesture just expands to full the full screen (supporting any phone orientation) without black margins. So in effect, it zooms a bit on the center of the image.

(I like that Darkslide can show you other photos taken near your current location. Do Mobile Fotos and the official Flickr app do that?)

Mobile Photos supports "near me" photos too.
pretty neat. tho I do feel like a bit of a voyeur. hubbahubba

Maverickster
Sep 9, 2009, 11:59 AM

Agreed. Mobile Fotos is still superior. Here are the features that, to me, set it apart and above the "official" app:

1. Batch uploading (or, at least, quasi-batch uploading).
2. Easy-to-use in-app method of posting flic.kr shortened url to Twitter.
3. Uploads in original resolution.
4. "Search Nearby" feature for locating geo-tagged photos taken near your then-current location.
5. Leaves the original EXIF data alone (the official app appears to be stripping it out and replacing the geolocation tag with the location uploaded rather than the location taken).

jajohns8
Sep 9, 2009, 08:50 PM
I like the slick interface, but would rather be able to upload at full resolution.

I will gladly pay for another app that offers this.

jonny
Sep 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
yes on wifi

hmm. Mine still uploads 450 x 600. on wifi and on 3G. I have a pro account as well. something's up.:confused:

aendaman
Sep 15, 2009, 12:20 PM
why is this still not available in the German Store??? :mad:

chenks
Sep 17, 2009, 02:58 AM
update has added the missing EXIF data, and a toggle for image size upload.

jonny
Sep 17, 2009, 02:10 PM
update has added the missing EXIF data, and a toggle for image size upload.

just trying it now!
just uploaded my first photo at 1200x1600
exif data intact.

finally.:D

chenks
Sep 17, 2009, 02:12 PM
when i uploaded a test (over wifi) it uploaded it at the resolution (and not the limited 1200x1600 res).

still has the GPS location tag as an issue though it seems

chenks
Sep 19, 2009, 11:37 AM
ok having done some tests of the flickr app (after the latest update), it is still failing in some (major) areas.

image manually uploaded to flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ch3nks/3934651442/

image uploaded using flickr app - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ch3nks/3933880763/

time and date stamp are still wrong. the app uses the upload time rather then the actual time the image was taken.

no GPS data (even though this is in the EXIF data of the image). it wants to use the location where you are when you upload it.

the "taken with" tags are different. manual upload tags it as "taken with Apple iPhone 3GS" and the app upload tags it as "taken with Apple iPhone".

so the app is still failing at some of the fairly basic things you would expect from it.

FoldingCat
Sep 19, 2009, 11:13 PM
just downloaded it and love it. I have uploaded a few mobile pics and it is super easy. EXIF data works great. Finally a good Flickr app. I would have paid for this LONG LONG ago.

SpaceKitty
Sep 20, 2009, 12:10 PM
Dowloaded this but when it goes to authorize the app through Safari, it fails and says Safari Can't download this file.

What's the secret here? Tried on two different iPhones, same thing on both.

chenks
Sep 20, 2009, 12:23 PM
Dowloaded this but when it goes to authorize the app through Safari, it fails and says Safari Can't download this file.

What's the secret here? Tried on two different iPhones, same thing on both.

no idea, worked fine for me

chenks
Sep 20, 2009, 12:24 PM
just downloaded it and love it. I have uploaded a few mobile pics and it is super easy. EXIF data works great. Finally a good Flickr app. I would have paid for this LONG LONG ago.

EXIF data is not great, as uploads incorrect info in some cases (and still some data missing).

Xibalba
Sep 20, 2009, 12:44 PM

i know i could not believe that it took this long for a good Flickr app - thank you.