PDA

View Full Version : How to use M-audio Oxygen 8 v2 for live gigs?

3paulx
Sep 8, 2009, 11:58 AM
Im a total noob in using midi controllers and I want to know w/c is the best and easiest software to use for live perfomance.

Before, im just using Zoom ST-224 and Kaoss Pad to trigger samples during gigs but now that i have an Oxygen 8 v2 Im thinking of using it live. I purposely bought it to make beats and bass lines on my Garageband just for fun but now Im thinking of using it w/ my Macbook during gigs to create ambient noise, whirls and maybe trigger samples also and do other crazy stuff but i am confused what steps to take.

Ive run across ableton and people say its best for Djs and stuff. Someone also told me to try reason but based on a little research Im thinking its best for recording and stuff.

Please give me tips/crash course....Are there any other simple yet useful software I can use for live setups aside from ableton and reason and logic?

Thanks!

brmaki
Sep 8, 2009, 02:43 PM
My experience with Reason live has been good. I never used my pitch bend for anything, so I just assigned that to move to the next instrument that I had open and as long as I had everything in the order that I'd use it, it worked perfectly.

I've never used Ableton, but I've heard a lot of good things about it as well.

deej999
Sep 8, 2009, 06:28 PM
Im a total noob in using midi controllers and I want to know w/c is the best and easiest software to use for live perfomance.

Before, im just using Zoom ST-224 and Kaoss Pad to trigger samples during gigs but now that i have an Oxygen 8 v2 Im thinking of using it live. I purposely bought it to make beats and bass lines on my Garageband just for fun but now Im thinking of using it w/ my Macbook during gigs to create ambient noise, whirls and maybe trigger samples also and do other crazy stuff but i am confused what steps to take.

Ive run across ableton and people say its best for Djs and stuff. Someone also told me to try reason but based on a little research Im thinking its best for recording and stuff.

Please give me tips/crash course....Are there any other simple yet useful software I can use for live setups aside from ableton and reason and logic?

Thanks!

Ableton Live is amazing software for live performance. Mainstage 2 is interesting if you use Logic for your productions. Never tried out Reason, so don't know how it compares.

3paulx
Sep 9, 2009, 12:17 AM
thanks!

3paulx
Sep 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
thanks for the response guys.....
anymore suggestions?
i would appreciate if sum1 would tell me detailed stetups and stuff.
cheers!

deej999
Sep 10, 2009, 04:27 PM
If you go with Live then you can set up the Controller in Live. If you choose Mainstage same thing.

First choose the program and go step by step learning it. There's a kick ass tutorial on Live at macprovideo.com that goes thru all the things you need to know step by step - and about setting up MIDI controllers for live performance.

deej