Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valypan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Denmark
Hi everyone!

First of all I am a huge Apple fan, happy owner of my second Ibook!! Today however I saw this this laptop by Sony Vaio. Here is the link to it:

http://www.vaio.net/models/notebooks/x505/features/mobility.html

I read teh specifications and although definetely not a laptop for professional users, I think it could be a competition to the IBook for normal users? It´s so thin and apparently also fully functional (with cd/dvd drive!!) I am really tempted to get one of these! The only thing that stops me is Windows (yack) and the loss of Mac os X. Can you find any other "faults" with this great Vaio laptop? Right now I am thinking I wish Apple had done something like that already...:( What do you guys think?

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I don't know how sturdy the vaio is. It could be fragile like the PB (easily dents b/c of aluminum). You have to remember the iBook is probably a little thincker because it has 3 layers of magnesium and 1 layer of polycarbonate. The iBook is most likely 100% more durable than the vaio. The iBook is close to being indestructable, don't forget that.

valypan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Denmark
Durable or not it would certainly attract buyers just for its sheer size!
But I am not sure whether the cd/dvd drive is inbuilt or not? I doubt it but they do not specify it anywhere on the web site as far as I can see. Is it legal not to specify whether it´s external or inbuilt?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
No their is no optical drive on that thing. That thing is useless in my eyes. It is a huge PDA. Waste of money.

valypan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Denmark
quagmire said:
No their is no optical drive on that thing. That thing is useless in my eyes. It is a huge PDA. Waste of money.

Well it might not have an optical drive integrated but it does pretty much everything else! I think its pretty impressive for something of this size. Dont you think all laptops of the future will look like this one day? ;) ( well with the exception of all sporting a big apple on them hehe)

valypan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Denmark
gdl96 said:
For that price, I don't think it can be compared to an iBook. :p

Haha yes true. I saw the price just after posting the message grrrr but its technologically exciting to see something so thin and yet with so many features :)

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
No built-in drive more than negates the size advantage to me.

The only thing that stops me is Windows (yack) and the loss of Mac os X.

You make that sound like a small thing :rolleyes: .

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
I played around with one of these on Friday (at Micro Anvika in London). Yes, the computer is light (VERY light), but it has quite possibly the worst keyboard I've ever seen. I think the keypad on my mobile phone is better.

Do not even think of buying one of these without taking it for a spin first.

valypan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Denmark
McBain said:
I played around with one of these on Friday (at Micro Anvika in London). Yes, the computer is light (VERY light), but it has quite possibly the worst keyboard I've ever seen. I think the keypad on my mobile phone is better.

Do not even think of buying one of these without taking it for a spin first.

Thanks for the info! I only read reviews of the VAIO and they were good. But only the thought of not having OS X or an inbuilt cd/dvd drive keeps me from buying it! And the price of course...knew you guys could kick some sense into me hehe As for the screen size I was not aware an inch or two could make that much difference, until I converted them to cm! LOL
Anyway any of you know how thicker the VAIO is compared to the Apple powerbook? How thick can a laptop get before it is necessary to have an external cd/dvd drive?

kafelatte

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2004
Personally, I think anytime some expresses and urge to Switch, in the wrong direction, an intervention should be organized.

valypan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Denmark
kafelatte said:
Personally, I think anytime some expresses and urge to Switch, in the wrong direction, an intervention should be organized.

LOOOL so true. Thanks to all the Apple militia out there :)

phonic pol

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
Windows is a major drawback, I couldn't consider losing OSX no matter how small the device. I think the powerbooks are much nicer objects than vaio. There's no question in my mind - go for a 12" powerbook, their small, beautiful and relatively cheap.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I don't care if the vaio is small and light or any other windows laptop for that matter, i would take a laptop the size of cinder block if it means keeping OS X and never going back to windows.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
I saw some awesome sony latops and desktops in bic camera in shibuya the other day.
This one is going to be a pain with cds and the stupid little nob mouse (ibm style).
And it says "amazing thin - featherweight" so you have to put a paper-weight on between the keyboard and the screen when you leave it on the table or the wind might knock it off.
The laptop has a 20gb hard drive - plaenty of space for todays technology. :confused:

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
if you really need a 2 lb notebook and have $3000 to spend it's not that bad

but the ibook will beat the sony in performance in everything at 2000 less

JRam

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Santa Cruz
Its not hygenic

Quote from the website,
"The carbon fiber mixed mold casing of the X505 notebook is as rigid as magnesium but as flexible as mold."​
(http://www.vaio.net/models/notebooks/x505/features/design.html)

Lovely, a notebook that is finally as flexible as nature intended. Would you really want a keyboard as flexible as what you find growing in your cake?

Aside from that its a fun computer, although I imagine after a week you'll get tired of not having some of the features of the ibook that you might consider necessary (*caugh* cd rom). Sure it will look pretty although if you just want a computer that'll look pretty and have $3000 to spend... why not just go for a powerbook? ;)

JRam

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Im surprised that the notebook isnt made out of flubber.I agree with jram try the pb and see if you like.:)

valypan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Denmark
nyprospect said:
Im surprised that the notebook isnt made out of flubber.I agree with jram try the pb and see if you like.:)

I love the looks of the PB but doesn´t it get extremely hot? Thats what I heard at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.