PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth internet sharing, is it possible?

phonic pol
Jul 4, 2004, 02:47 PM
Hi all,

I've just linked up my powerbook with my partnerís ibook via bluetooth and I'm surprised at the transfer speed. I transferred a 212kb file in about 1.5 seconds! It's got me thinking, is there a way to share an internet connection over bluetooth?

We haven't yet installed airport because we're waiting for the new airport express to ship. Meanwhile bluetooth internet sharing might be a great work around.

Any hints and tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Darwin
Jul 4, 2004, 03:17 PM
You can try

Go to System Prefs, Sharing, then to the tab Internet

Start Internet Sharing and tick the connection that you use with Bluetooth

BrianKonarsMac
Jul 4, 2004, 03:32 PM
itll be like usin a modem.

phonic pol
Jul 4, 2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks, I tried the system preferences but it doesn't want to connect. Maybe there's a driver that's needed - any ideas?

Darwin
Jul 4, 2004, 05:15 PM
I know that you are waiting for the Airport Express to ship but what is stopping you from buying the cards?

Just interested

phonic pol
Jul 4, 2004, 06:23 PM
I know that you are waiting for the Airport Express to ship but what is stopping you from buying the cards?

Just interested

I was under the impression a base station was needed for the airport system to work. If I can share an internet connection with just the airport cards that's great - I'll get one for the ibook as soon as.

jsw
Jul 4, 2004, 06:44 PM
All you need is the cards. The base station lets you go completely wireless with a broadband connection (or, I suppose, dial-up). But if you just want to share between systems, or if one is hardwired to the net, the cards are all you need!

phonic pol
Jul 4, 2004, 06:46 PM
Fantastico, I'll order one tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

jsw
Jul 4, 2004, 06:47 PM
Fantastico, I'll order one tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

Er, two cards, right?

phonic pol
Jul 4, 2004, 06:48 PM
Er, two cards, right?

I have a new powerbook with airport already installed.

Finiksa
Jul 4, 2004, 09:46 PM
is there a way to share an internet connection over bluetooth?

Yup, very easy to do in fact.

All you need is Bluetooth to internet v2.3 (http://bluetooth.webhop.org/)

jsw
Jul 4, 2004, 09:58 PM
Yup, very easy to do in fact.

All you need is Bluetooth to internet v2.3 (http://bluetooth.webhop.org/)

Excellent! I have no need to share a BT connection, but, damn it, now I'm going to have to just to try this sucker out. Quite the cool app!

Celeron
Jul 4, 2004, 10:02 PM
Note that Bluetooth tops out at 1mbps max. Thats a theoretical speed, with overhead and all that sort of stuff and you are going to be quite a bit below that. Bluetooth is not idea for internet sharing.

Finiksa
Jul 4, 2004, 10:44 PM
Note that Bluetooth tops out at 1mbps max. Thats a theoretical speed, with overhead and all that sort of stuff and you are going to be quite a bit below that. Bluetooth is not idea for internet sharing.

True tends to top out at 700kbps, but when you're on dial up like me and want to share between an iMac and iBook in the next room it's the perfect solution.