Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FasterSoonerNow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Anyone have any experience?

Would it be worth picking up the iBreeze when I get my Powerbook?

If you use one of these cooling fan stands, is the Powerbook always going to run at a nice temperature and NEVER become overheated?

Anyone?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I think that the majority of laptop stands then require you to have an external keyboard and mouse as it becomes very awkward to type at such a height. However, a smaller stand, that provides adequate ventilation is the Traveler CoolPad which is only $20, pivots 360 degrees, and allows you to still use the internal keyboard. I have heard some good reviews and I will most likely choose this stand for its simplicity, size, cost, and functionality.

Good luck

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
CoolPads are great!

I use and highly recommend the CoolPad (I have found the standard-sized version is still portable enough to travel with). My fan still comes on ocassionally, but I use the swivel more than I thought and the keyboard is now at a more natural slant for me.

chiiyo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Singapore
I've been using the Traveler Coolpad for my 12" Powerbook ever since I first got my Powerbook and it's so small and convenient it pretty much never leaves the bottom of my Powerbook. It's small enough so I can actually zip it in attached to my Powerbook into my notebook sleeve. My fan does come on now and then but you have to keep in mind this is the hot season in Singapore.

Another good thing is... no scratches on the bottom of my PB!

criana

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
IcePad from MacAlly

I use the IcePad from MacAlly. The main reason I bought it was because it can be used two different ways.

I can fold it in half and get an adjustable angle pad, or I can open it up and have a full "tray" to put my mouse on too.

icepad2.gif

icepad2_001.gif

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
um.... I just prop up my pb on a few cd's. Or if you really want to do somthing, you can get some old procesor heat sinks and put them under your pb, sure it looks ghetto, but my fan has never ever come on when I put the heatsinks, and rarely with just somthing small under it. Also it is free.

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
i have an ibreeze, prety good, fans r quiet. jsut the fans wont work if ur using the ibreeze on ur lap w/ ur ipod becuase the fans r low and will hit your legs, but its a good product, one of the best stands for the laptops

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
A couple of questions...

How good are the ones with fans of lowering the PB temperature?

Has anybody thought to create a non portable one with its own seperate power for the fans and cool stuff like a 4 port USB 2.0 hub built in (and powered)?

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
aswitcher said:
A couple of questions...

How good are the ones with fans of lowering the PB temperature?

Has anybody thought to create a non portable one with its own seperate power for the fans and cool stuff like a 4 port USB 2.0 hub built in (and powered)?

The ones with fans seem pointless - the fans on your stand make the noise instead of the ones on the PowerBook. Yeah, it's cooler, but where's the benefit.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
These things seem to me to be a bit overkill. I mean I understand that the additional cooling can MAYBE prolong the life of your Powerbook a bit, but I don't think Apple would release it if there were overheating issues with it in normal conditions.

Plus even the shorter ones that put the powerbook at a "better" angle, like from the CNN video from the roadtools website; from what I know keeping your wrists straight is more ergonomic than having them angled to type.

I agree with what titaniumducky said about the fans.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Nspace said:
I agree with what titaniumducky said about the fans.

My guess is that if the fans on my PB aren't spinning because I have fans in the stand, then it will save on wear and tear... but I can't say I am taken by any of the designs I can find...

Shame Apple dont do one specifically (in aluminium of course) for the PB that serves as a USB and Firewire Hub just like the new screens do so that it acts as a form of dock.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i curve

Instead of doing a new thread i thought i'll just post my question here...
i was uisng my powerbook last night and it got really hot, ( i was playing around with garage band) and it started to burn so i placed it on my bed and continuted to work. I dont' plan on useing it that much on my on my lap but more on my desk and was thinking about the Icurve because it props it up to use an external mouse and keyboard so the screen is at a nice angle. Any use it? Does it help keep the pb cool? Or should I just get the coolpad or something like that? Right now i'm using a couple of old cd's to prop it up to get some air underneeth but its still freakin' hot and my fan is on most of the time i'm using it.
Thanks for your help

win_convert

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Aus.
Does anyone know where to get a cheap apple keyboard in australia? I intend to put my laptop up on three deodorant can lids and then use an external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.