Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flytec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I have a 1000MHz DP G4 (mirrored front) and having trouble with APC UPS BK500. I am here in Florida with very regular black outs, brown outs and power flicker. As often as my APC actually provides back-up power it does not provide back-up power. I have discussed this at length with their tech support. They have replaced the BK500 twice now and the problem remains. They now say that the G4 needs a faster transfer rate than the BK500 can deliver and that I need to move up to a Smart Back Up unit (much more expensive). Is this BS? Is the G4 more demanding with respect to transfer time? Is there another UPS that can do the job for lessthan the $320 for the APS Smart UPS? I just need enough VA to shut everything down when the power goes out. Auto shut down would be nice.

:confused:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have a CyberPower 1500AVR connected to my G5 that seems to work OK, and I have a lot of power issues here as well. The UPS software isn't wonderful, but it does, sort of, kind of, support OS X. And the UPS is much cheaper than APCs. I think this cost less than $150 (bought it over six months ago and forget what I paid).

APC stuff is, I think, overpriced. Perhaps it lasts longer, but my experience has been that it isn't very high quality - or at least very consistent quality.

I'm not saying CyberPower is the be-all and end-all of UPS systems, and I think they're somewhat new to the scene. But, after many months and a number of power issues, it's still working. YMMV.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Look at a cheap line conditioning UPS instead of a cheap battery back-up, the Smart product is real good -- but expensive.

Your focus should probably be on the brown outs/spikes, rather than the loss of power.

---

Back UPS Pro might work, might not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.