Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So less than a month a way from launch are you tempted by Sony's relaunched PSP or does it fill you with as much trepidation as anticipation.

Whilst I like the design and size there are a couple of fundementals that are really holding back at present.

Firstly that launch price. At €70 more than a PSP as it stands, for somthing that has less features it's hard to justify the cost / trade up. Especially when you consider it's also the same price here in Europe as an Xbox Elite.

Secondly and this is my greatest fear of all.... The cost of gaming.

We all know about R.R.P and how retailers often sell new games cheaper than the suggested retail price. Then there is the even cheaper prices offered by online retailers too and not forgetting the increasingly popular trade in market, further offering a way to buy the latest title at a discount.

With PSN and similar games on demand services from Sony:Microsoft we currently find that that their downloadble full game offerings are often a lot more expensive than the boxed game at retail.

Add DRM licensing to the mix and I'm not liking the prospect tbh. We all know this is the future and that digital distribution will be the way forward in years to come, but until they can offer similar services as actual retailers it's going to take a good while before becoming the mainstream venue for games content. (Well sort-of. With PSPgo there is no other way)

PSPgo is the first step at a purely digital download only console, and whilst I praise Sony for having the balls to do somthing first for a change, there will undoubtably be hard lessons learned here and it will be watched by all the console manufacturers. I'm not 100% sure I want to get my legs wet by jumping into this pond with the first bunch of guinnea pigs.

Sony need to find a way to offer games that are at least comparable in price to online retailers, and most importantly some form of electronic transfer system allowing you to trade back a game (deleting it from your system) and offering you trade back credit for use in the store on other purchases.

Your thoughts?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
No.

I own a PSP-1000, and my other half owns a PSP-2000 FFVII Limited Edition, and we've got a bundle of MSDuo sticks of various sizes. The PSP Go! offers us very little beyond 16GB of inbuilt flash memory, but we can reach that by using a memory stick anyway.

The PSP Go! also removes the UMD drive (and we've built up a small-ish collection of titles), and although I've been using the PSN store for some titles (FF VII, Patapon 2) and am quite enjoying the new-found method of obtaining games I simply can't see myself switching to it full time for everything.

Oh, and it is really expensive. I can buy a second PS3 for not that much more, and our existing PSPs have larger screens.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I don't own a handheld console at the moment. (Unless you count the iphone, which I don't due to lack of proper control options.)

I like the PSPGo due to its size. I also don't have any UMD's or anything to worry about at this point. I like buying PSN games too, though the inability to resell them is a little bothersome. I probably would have traded in some of the PSN games on my PS3 long ago, if I could. But I don't think this would actually keep me from getting one if I really wanted it.

I am just not sure if I really want a handheld console in the first place, especially for that price. :confused: How often would I use it, really? On vacation? I kind of don't see the point of traveling to some nice destination, if I spend my time there playing video games. On airplanes, I guess? I usually read, listen to music, sleep, watch movies.... I don't know. Maybe once I start traveling more for work, it will become a little more tempting, but right now it simply wouldn't get much playtime.

But if I was to get a handheld, it would very likely be the PSP Go.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No.
It costs too much.
I don't think it's a good idea to rely on DD at this stage. If they mirror the Steam store then it could be good (with sales and price drops to mimic a real store).
When it comes to PSP I think the bigger the screen - the better.
Not keen on the slideout design, if anything I'd like the display protected instead of the buttons.
Don't like the locked in battery.
Don't like that I'd have to buy another memory card.
I've grown to like UMD.

Personally I just think it's a few years too early. I'll end up buying one eventually but it's just a no-go for now. I just have no need for either the 3000 or Go.
Now a 4000 model ;)...

Taustin Powers said:
I am just not sure if I really want a handheld console in the first place, especially for that price. How often would I use it, really? On vacation? I kind of don't see the point of traveling to some nice destination, if I spend my time there playing video games. On airplanes, I guess? I usually read, listen to music, sleep, watch movies.... I don't know. Maybe once I start traveling more for work, it will become a little more tempting, but right now it simply wouldn't get much playtime.
I'm primarily a handheld gamer since I prefer the games. Looking over the console games I've played, most of them (especially on the PS3/360) are effects, style and "cinematic experience" over substance, and on a handheld you just cant get that. There's a stronger reliance on addictive and well-constructed gameplay. That and all handhelds have a sleep function :D.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I've said this before, I almost bought one... Then in the end I decided against it.

It's expensive
I own a PSP 2000
It doesn't come with anything
Games can only be bought from Sony (less sales)
The controls look small
I'd have to buy a new memory stick when I run out of space

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I still have my launch PSP-1000.
As long as it works I won't replace it. When I do, I'm presently more inclined to get a PSP-3000 (or 4000 if rumors pan out) than the Go. The smaller form factor is nice, but size has never kept me from toting the one I have.

I think Sony made another mistake by pricing it so much higher than the current PSP.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Yes.
My launch 1000 model is on the way out...the L/R button sticks a lot so I'm in the market. I hope they offer a FREE way to get my UMD games in that thing. I'm a little skeptical on spending that much but I'm a sucka for the shiny;)

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Debating it. Not this year since I gots no cash-ola but maybe next Spring.

After using it for a brief bit at PAX I have to say I really like the form factor. It's small, iPhone small which makes it FINALLY a pocketable device. The DSi/PSP phat & phatter are annoying since they require a jacket or bag unless I'm wearing some big ass cargo pants or something. Portable gaming should be portable.

I am a bit hesitant about the UMD transfer thing but hopefully they sort it out. I'm not worried like MRU about cost, overall the games on the PSP store aren't overly expensive and retail is going to prevent Sony from giving preferential pricing to their online store so we won't be seeing cheaper online stuff unless it's a sale (like NIS is about to have on PSN).

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I have my PSP Go pre-ordered and will grab it on launch day.

That said, I think it is a stupid purchase for many reasons stated, and here is why:
- Too expensive based on value, as Sony stated they are deliberately 'premium pricing' it.
- Digital Download = single source. I might have 22 games from PSN for my PSP, but that doesn't mean they are a good value. All you need to do is look at the prices of games on the PSN store now ... they have stuff that was on clearance months ago still at full price.
- Nothing included: last week we saw the Gran Turismo PSP-3000 bundle with the game, UMD movie, 2GB MemStick included. In the EU there is a special 'pre-order and get Gran Turismo for free' deal. In the US ... you get a PSP Go, AC adapter, and USB cable. For $50 more than the PSP-3000 GT bundle!
- Where is the 'cash for clunkers' for UMD's? Anyone else remember that at E3 there was all this talk about some sort of UMD-to-Digital conversion we would be able to do to get value from our libraries? That is noticeably absent in current talks.
- New proprietary format ... so all of us PSP fans get to buy yet another memory stick format ...
- Hardware is really nothing new: sure we lose the UMD slot, get the Mylo fold-up, and so on. But the screen is actually smaller, and we still don't get the second analog stick that would add so much gameplay potential to the system.

All in all it is a poor value proposition.

So why am I buying one? Well, I had budgeted for one months ago, so the money is there. Also, right now my older son has my PSP-1000 (likes the chunky feel), my younger son has my PSP-2000, and as a family we have fun with multiplayer games. So with this one, my wife will get use of my PSP-3000, which I'll still have for reviewing UMD games as they come out.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Well, a few weeks later...

...launch is around the corner (already available in some stores)
...the UMD-conversion program idea has been nixed
...the first reviews are in (IGN, Joystiq, Engadget)
...the price is unchanged
...the adapter thingy for old accessories looks ridiculous

Seems like they got the hardware/screen right, judging from the reviews. But it still seems like they absolutely do not WANT any current PSP owners to buy this. Some weird choices they made... However, it is attractive to me as a non-handheld-owner.

Well, like I said, if I were to buy a handheld console, it would be the Go. But I simply don't need one right now. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Thats the problem IMO. If you don't have a PSP you can buy a 2000 or 3000 model for little, a 4gb memory card for little and then a whole slew of UMD games before you've even got close to the Go's price. I've been playing catch up with some PSP games I missed and I spent around £50 on 9 games, new and sealed. £50 would go to 2-3 full games on the PSP store.

I'm not sure who they're aiming for with this device since you can get much more gaming for your money with a 3000 model, and still do more than a Go.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
If I lived in Europe, I'd think about getting one, especially if I didn't own a PSP. Even though it's still overpriced, and they canceled the UMD-PSP GO plans... A PSP Go in Europe comes with Gran Turismo (for the first 2 weeks) and until March 2010, you can get 3 other games for free with it.

But ya... I'd hate to pay full retail for every new game I buy. I just got Gran Turismo for $23 from Amazon. :p

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
A PSP Go in Europe comes with Gran Turismo (for the first 2 weeks) and until March 2010, you can get 3 other games for free with it.

That is half true - you get the GT for free *, but for the '3 free' you need to own an earlier PSP, log into your PSN account using both your older one and new PSP Go and THEN you get a email voucher for the three games.

* having played GT for nearly a week now (review), I will only say that it is NOT a system seller.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That is half true - you get the GT for free *, but for the '3 free' you need to own an earlier PSP, log into your PSN account using both your older one and new PSP Go and THEN you get a email voucher for the three games.

* having played GT for nearly a week now (review), I will only say that it is NOT a system seller.

So you basically can not trade in your older psp to get a new pspgo and still get the three free games offer, as you will need to log in to your account with both consoles after the event.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sony really do not wan't to make things easy for people do they.

I thought they had learn't all the bad lessons from PS3 launch, but seemingly they are planning on making them all again (complacency / over pricing etc...) with the PSPgo!

The PSPgo! has the makings of a great console and a great upgrade, and yet it is being utterly hampered by Sony's own hand ? Madness.

I'm a sucker for impulse purchases, but the PSPgo! is doing nothing for me at the moment

___

The pricing of games on PSN is still my biggest bugbear though.

Need For Speed : Shift = PSP €39.99 on PSN
Need For Speed : Shift = UMD from online retailer = €27.99

Motorstorm : Arctic Edge = PSP €29.99 on PSN
Motorstorm : Arctic Edge = UMD from online retailer €19.99

For the same reason Album downloads (cost of album download to the cost of owning physical CD media) are not as popular as CD Single downloads.

PSP online game pricing is too much and I just don't see it catching on at those prices.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan

Well, that's kind of lame. I only read the title of some blog post, and then up to the part about it only being in Europe. :p

And about GT. I love GT, and while this game doesn't seem like it is worth the wait, I'll be happy with it for the $20 I spent on it.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Sony really do not wan't to make things easy for people do they.

I thought they had learn't all the bad lessons from PS3 launch, but seemingly they are planning on making them all again (complacency / over pricing etc...) with the PSPgo!

The PSPgo! has the makings of a great console and a great upgrade, and yet it is being utterly hampered by Sony's own hand ? Madness.

i think the problem for a big part lies in sony head quarters: they simply have the idea "we have to push across all products how much of a premium brand we are" and go through with it regardless if the product fits

let's face it sony: game consoles are a mass market where price matters it's not like you are making cars

edit: ouch i just read that some continental european retailers/traders even decided not to stock the psp-go _at all_

edit2: oh god .. it's not 'some' ... it's the media-markt holding with it's 700 stores (the absolute giant in the german market) and EB games/Gamestop europe.. if only 1-2 chains more chains join this boycott it is a disaster for sony
and for those small stores which offer them, pre order numbers are said to be catastrophic/non existing

Antares

macrumors 68000
The PSPgo is a no go for me.

Why? I watch movies on my iPod Touch and play games on my consoles or Mac. I don't have enough time to play all the console games I want to play and don't travel enough (not busy with other things, like driving) to justify paying for the PSPgo (or any other handheld).

Oh...and there's also the fact that I don't like that the go! is digital download only. I like physical media and prefer to purchase used games. Maybe if Sony allowed digital downloads from any company, anywhere. Otherwise, price competition/special pricing/sales are essentially eliminated.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm primarily a handheld gamer since I prefer the games. Looking over the console games I've played, most of them (especially on the PS3/360) are effects, style and "cinematic experience" over substance, and on a handheld you just cant get that. There's a stronger reliance on addictive and well-constructed gameplay. That and all handhelds have a sleep function :D.

This is right.

I buy very few console games anymore. Mostly, I just play Brawl now. If I had a 360/PS3, I'd just play SF4/Blazblue, probably, lol. I buy a ton of VC games, and I still get DS games. <3 Scribblenauts.

The more "cinematic" games try to be, the less focus game mechanics get, in many ways. Not saying it's bad, it's just a different direction of entertainment, and I prefer the old one; which the handhelds still deliver.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Hell no

I got a PSP Slim last Christmas so I had something to do at airports. They release like what, 1 game a month?

Sony's goal with the PSP is to try and copy the app store. What they should have done was put in a second analog stick, which is what everybody wanted. Instead they took the same PSP, made it look uglier, and gave it a stupid name

PSP's are gonna be a dead product in a few years

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
PSP's are gonna be a dead product in a few years

I wouldn't say so. It's clambered its way up the sales charts and now sits besides the Wii and DS (I believe the 2nd place in most markets is interchangable with Wii and PSP, but that might be outdated now). It's just this one version thats got it hella wrong. I hope the PSP2 is a mixture of both - data and internal and expandable memory.

But who knows. The original PSP-1000 and PS3 were initially disasters but they rose from there. The Go might also get better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.