Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr1970

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Hi there

We were given an old iMac G3 for free recently so I added some RAM, upgraded it to Panther and gave it to my 12 year old son to mess around on. He's got a keyboard which he likes to record his own tunes on - until recently onto our shared Windows PC.

He's now found that he can record his keyboard as a soundtrack to an empty iMovie project (!) but I have to think there's a better / more appropriate way of doing this. Garageband won't install on a G3 so I've been struggling to find the right thing for him.

Any suggestions? I'd ideally like something free (obviously) but if I should be looking for an old version of a pro package on eBay, for example, I'd happily spend a bit to get him going.

I know the obvious answer to this is a new machine, but finances are very tight at the moment and I also want to just see what he can do before we start spending proper money.

Many thanks in advance

A

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is he making audio recordings or is he recording MIDI data from the keyboard?

If it's audio then look at "audacity". It's free and widely used.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If he wants a MIDI sequencer for the G3. It will be harder. But there are many free midi sequencers out there for Linux and BSD Unix that could run on the Mac with some effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.