Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Interesting article....

Polyphony confirms GT5 head-tracking
September 9th, 2009

Polyphony Digital mastermind Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed that the forthcoming Gran Turismo 5 features support for head-tracking via the PlayStation Eye camera accessory. According to Gran Turismo resource GT Planet, the feature was first mooted on Polyphony's website during gamescom and was recently confirmed by Yamauchi during an interview with Italian gaming site MultiPlayer.it. The head-tracking feature is restricted to the in-cockpit view within GT5. Employing facial recognition, the PlayStation Eye scans the position of your head and adjusts the viewpoint in the cockpit accordingly, effectively replacing the use of the right analogue stick on the DualShock 3. Your display stops being a flat 2D representation of a 3D world and effectively becomes an interactive window into the game experience.

Want to see how close your opponents are to catching up? Turn your head and look at the wing mirror. Want to see which gear you're using? Look down at the transmission and see for yourself as you would in a real car. Want to check out the racing line beyond the next corner? Look beyond the turn just like real drivers do.

To get some idea of how the display's perspective adjusts when head-tracking is in play, there's no better example than Johnny Lee's original YouTube video based on reverse use of the Wii remote's infra-red sensor. Sony's technology - assuming it works well, of course - goes far beyond this in taking infra-red out of the equation completely. Head-tracking looks set to be integral component of Project Natal to the point where the self-same Johnny Lee is now working under NDA with Microsoft, but the inclusion of the feature in Gran Turismo 5 will be the first time we've seen it deployed properly in a current-generation console game.

Going forward, it also has big implications for the forthcoming PS3 motion controller, which also works in conjunction with the existing PlayStation Eye accessory, suggesting that Sony's plans in this area go beyond using feedback from the "wand" alone...

Ok sounds really promising until you think about it and it occurs to me this has a rather serious flaw....

If your playing a racing game, and use your head to look down, left or right - you're no longer looking at the TV set.

If your not looking at the TV set how are you going to see any of those things anyway ? :confused:

Whilst this may work if your up close to your TV, if your sitting an average of 6 feet away from your TV your going have to to tilt your head, whilst looking in the opposite direction in order to maintain eye contact with the TV. That sounds uncomfortable to say the least.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Ok sounds really promising until you think about it and it occurs to me this has a rather serious flaw....

If your playing a racing game, and use your head to look down, left or right - you're no longer looking at the TV set.

Well thats the flaw in all of this motion/tracking tech MS/Sony is using...turning your head in a FPS, peeking, ducking and rolling. I don't see the effectiveness in any of it unless you have LCD screens all around you that gives you a full 360 degree look at the environment.

I'll have to see how it pans out...cockpit view/driving wheels is the only way I could play these racers and adding head tracking to it can't hurt but I don't really see a need for it.

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
turn your head a bit while keeping your eyes on the screen. Just a slight twist is all it requires. There is a Half-Life mod that uses a webcam to track your head motion, and it works fairly well to boot.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
It will probably be pretty sensitive, not 1:1 control. You just turn your head slightly and you see out the side window. That sounds pretty sweet, if it works...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Here, this is how us NERDS do this on the PC.

But PC users are sat two feet away from their monitors. Not the same thing as being sat way back on the couch. Also that device needs an extra peripheral to be worn around the head in order for it to track properly.

How will EyeCamera be able to replicate that is a big ? Especially in different lighting, various living room objects and any extra people sat in the room whilst your playing..

It will probably be pretty sensitive, not 1:1 control. You just turn your head slightly and you see out the side window. That sounds pretty sweet, if it works...

If it works it will be sweet indeed. But we will see.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
But PC users are sat two feet away from their monitors. Not the same thing as being sat way back on the couch. Also that device needs an extra peripheral to be worn around the head in order for it to track properly.

Good luck to Sony, especially when considering your points. Maybe they should release an optional clip for their setup. :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i'm not so sure this will be a hit with the head tracking, but GT 5 will overall and i'm glad they are at least working with this kind of technology. can't wait for GT 5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.