PDA

View Full Version : Asus Eee PC 1000HE VS. iBook G4 1.33ghz

pilotkid
Sep 9, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hey everyone. I currently have a Asus Eee PC 1000HE that I have for sale with the intent of buying a used iBook G4 to replace it. I can get one in great condition for about $300 bucks, which I think is good. I'm wanting to stay in the netbook size range, no larger than 12 inches. My Eee PC is very nice but its Windows, I cant stand it anymore and its pretty slow. Do you guys think a iBook G4 1.33ghz with the ram maxed out (I think its 1.25 or 1.5 gb) would be usable for basic internet surfing and light iTunes use? I know I cant update with Snow Leopard but Leopard will be just fine. What do you guys think about my thinking? Thanks for your help and opinions!

js81
Sep 9, 2009, 03:19 PM
What do you guys think about my thinking?

I think its great thinking - gets you away from icky-icky Windows XP. :D

In all seriousness, a high-end G4 should be a bit quicker than an Atom-powered netbook, but most testing says no.

(from another forum - I couldn't ever get the graphic to load)

iBook 1.2 - 674 GeekBench

Dell Mini - 918 GeekBench

I've considered the same thing myself, but have decided that (someday) I'll try the hackintosh route on my HP Mini.

But until then, its icky-icky Windows XP. :(

techound1
Sep 9, 2009, 03:57 PM
A judicious shopper can score a dell mini 10v for $250-$300 in the outlet, depending on what's floating around for coupon codes. There are several great how-tos at mydellmini.com for making a pretty slick hackintosh with minimal headache (typing on one now). Much, much nicer than a G4 iBook (and it comes in colors...). :D

fun173
Sep 9, 2009, 04:31 PM
for surfing and itunes it will be fine even youtube, my ibook 1.2 was great for all these things

After G
Sep 9, 2009, 06:36 PM
From what I remember of my iBook 1.2 GHz, I had to put the setting on "higher performance" for decent Youtube performance (this was on Panther 10.3 though). Surfing and iTunes were just fine, and I don't see any problems for you there. But I'd definitely take OS X over icky icky XP :p