Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
I just bought an iBook off of ebay, and it works perfectly fine. It doesn't get very hot, but it seems warm enough to have a fan turn on. But so far, after 2 days of having it, I haven't heard a fan.
So, Does the iBook G3 (NON-CLAMSHELL) have a fan at all?

I have no idea! But I see vents here and there for what I thought would be the fan. Please tell me.

If its broken, how can I tell? Or how can I fix it.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
All my iBooks both G3 an G4 had a single fan. I remember my G3 fans hardly ever came on or weren't that audible.

Yours could very well be clogged so bad that the fan won't turn or it could have burnt out because of it. Take a can of compressed air to blow out any dust. Or just be glad you got a quiet iBook :).

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
I noticed with my G4 iBook, when it got old, the fan seemed to be either all or nothing. It would run, get hot, get hotter, then the fan would come on full blast and cool it a bit.

Same with my iBook G3. The thing would get burning hot and then the fan would come on and roar for a while until it cooled off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.