PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano 5G: Arrived! Now with pics and now with video test!

calderone
Sep 9, 2009, 09:41 PM
I ordered two 16GB Nano's (Orange and Green) not long after the store went up. Just got my shipment notification.

I did the free shipping, but it is showing as overnight, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Anyone else have their's on the way? :apple:

shady825
Sep 9, 2009, 11:15 PM
I ordered two 16GB Nano's (Orange and Green) not long after the store went up. Just got my shipment notification.

I did the free shipping, but it is showing as overnight, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Anyone else have their's on the way? :apple:

I was so debating about ordering one or trying to find it in a store.
If I knew It woulda came tomorrow I would have ordered it ASAP.
I did just get a email from Apple tho saying they will be in stores tomorrow.
Either way I cant wait to get my hands on one!

calderone
Sep 9, 2009, 11:27 PM
It doesn't look like it is in FedEx's hands yet. So it is possible it won't be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting mine as well though!

Are you going for the 16GB?

alexdudman
Sep 10, 2009, 03:10 AM
I ordered my green 16GB first thing when the store went up (not sure im going to like the green after the pictures look so much darker than the ones posted during the keynote) and I too have had the order confirmation but no sign that its made its way to the courier yet. I am in the UK however, so I half expected this to take longer than I would have hoped.

My guess is that it will come on Friday, hope this is the case soon as im away all weekend!

Has anybody else's arrived at the couriers yet? :apple:

dagomike
Sep 10, 2009, 07:07 AM
Bah! I paid $16 for overnight, ordered 11:13 AM PDT and it still says prepared to ship. Maybe Apple's system isn't updated, but looks like I'll get it Friday. If people are getting today with standard free shipping, that sucks.

calderone
Sep 10, 2009, 01:36 PM
dagomike:

I did standard shipping and mine is going to be delivered today. Within the next hour and a half in fact. Mine came from TN, I am in the midwest. But they still used Standard Overnight.

See attached image. I was going to go with Overnight, but I am glad I didn't. $16 saved.

Alex: I'll snap some of shots of the green in a few hours. Keep a look out.

alexdudman
Sep 10, 2009, 01:52 PM
That would be great, cheers.
First impressions of the color, is it a light green like lime (I really liked the previous generations lime green).

Looking forward to the photos :)

leethefilmer
Sep 10, 2009, 02:28 PM
Bah! I paid $16 for overnight, ordered 11:13 AM PDT and it still says prepared to ship. Maybe Apple's system isn't updated, but looks like I'll get it Friday. If people are getting today with standard free shipping, that sucks.

The reason I got standard shipping is for the package to get here later on in the day. I can actually sign for it then (out of work). So they kind of screwed me over by sending it overnight.

Now I have to wait another day (i still wont be home). Or will they try to deliver it later on today? Anyone know? Either way I'll call them when I get out of work.

shady825
Sep 10, 2009, 02:32 PM

leethefilmer
Sep 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
It looks great. I'm glad I got the black one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipodlounger/3907258632/

shady825
Sep 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
It looks great. I'm glad I got the black one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipodlounger/3907258632/

Kinda a gun metal color in the sun.
I like it tho! :)

leethefilmer
Sep 10, 2009, 02:55 PM
Can you upload an uncompressed video file? I want to see what the quality is like (before the youtube compression). I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be getting mine today sadly.

If not it's cool. Hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow.

rgarjr
Sep 10, 2009, 03:01 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3907258632_92ff8cf1ef.jpg

The blue one looks sick. Damn so many colors to choose from. I like blue, gray, and black.

calderone
Sep 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
Unfortunetly there isn't much available light in place this time of day. I will get some better shots when can get a nice surface with some light. Here are a few though.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/3907983610_4f2d4a27f5_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2566/3907204175_fe39c84f58_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3441/3907983138_58f1c8efa8_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3907982910_98c5d9a61f_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2596/3907203595_7d4f7ce078_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/3907983190_6d809f2607_b.jpg

LazersGoPEWPEW
Sep 10, 2009, 04:37 PM
The orange one looks pretty sick. I might have to pick up one of these since I'm not going to buy a touch.

mrboult
Sep 10, 2009, 05:07 PM
Got to say that whilst I think the updates make the new nano a pretty sweet little ipod.
I visually prefer the colors and dimensions of the former generation. (Looking at the photos)

gan6660
Sep 10, 2009, 05:51 PM
Can those who received them tell me how the new finish feels? Also I am going to be picking one of these up but got to pay for my zune hd first.

calderone
Sep 10, 2009, 05:53 PM
Can those who received them tell me how the new finish feels? Also I am going to be picking one of these up but got to pay for my zune hd first.

The finish has a very smooth feel.

gan6660
Sep 10, 2009, 05:58 PM
Im thinking of going with the black what color does everyone else like best?

shady825
Sep 10, 2009, 06:23 PM
Im thinking of going with the black what color does everyone else like best?

The "black" is super sick looking! I wouldnt really call it black tho.. You have to see it in person to see what I'm talking about. The top where the hold switch is and the bottom where the headphones go, now thats BLACK
The "black" nano can look purple in some light, grey in others... It's a really weird color but I most definitely like it!:D

surgedc5
Sep 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
yeah gotta check them out in person first, i was leaning towards black or yellow but after seeing pics of the new orange i cant make up my mind now lol :eek:

fun173
Sep 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
i have a nano 4g and a touch 1g and these r sick i want one so bad i might pick one up just for the hell of it i cant believe the screen is bigger too. Can theese things take stills?

shady825
Sep 10, 2009, 06:48 PM
i have a nano 4g and a touch 1g and these r sick i want one so bad i might pick one up just for the hell of it i cant believe the screen is bigger too. Can theese things take stills?

no stills.. just video.
Works out perfect for me tho cause I have a iPhone 3G (no video camera)
and I dont use the iPhone for an iPod.
Therefor I will always have the nano and iPhone with me. (having a video and still camera at all times)

gan6660
Sep 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
yeah gotta check them out in person first, i was leaning towards black or yellow but after seeing pics of the new orange i cant make up my mind now lol :eek:

I ike the orange also but my brother has an orange 4th gen ano so I dont want the same color as him. I like the colors but I get sick of them after awhile thats why I think Ill stick with "classic" black this time.

calderone
Sep 10, 2009, 07:55 PM
Quick video test with new Nano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhDt-wXh1qY

techfreak85
Sep 10, 2009, 07:58 PM
Quick video test with new Nano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhDt-wXh1qY

not great, but not bad.:)

could u do some shots of longer, more normal distances? like if u were filming someone else?

OutSpoken
Sep 10, 2009, 08:00 PM
I was thinking to sell my 4g and get the 5g...but I doubt I will now. Am sure the missus would love to hear me say that, since she already thinks I'd be wasting money on something which to her is practically the same thing...

The feature I was keen on most was the fm radio, about bloody time apple!... video I couldnt care less about.. even having this function on phones I rarely use them..so I doubt I would with the nano. But given the chance I would probably more likely pull out my phone, since my nano is usually hooked up to the car. oh and the extra .2 inches of screen would have been sweet.

But from the pictures posted, I dont know how I feel about the new shiny finishes... I love my silver 4g because it matches and really compliments my unibody macbook pro.:D

Hmm I dunno...maybe if I see them in the flesh...

zap2
Sep 10, 2009, 08:02 PM
My my those colors do look nice! Much better then 4G(plus I ended up with a blue which I'm not the biggest of fans)...and the video isn't to bad, plenty for my needs.

I'm tempted

gan6660
Sep 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
Looks better than I thought. Maybe those demo videos on apple's website really were shot with the new nano.

calderone
Sep 10, 2009, 08:08 PM
OutSpoken. The FM rocks! It does live pausing. It essentially "records" live radio, so you can pause and even go backwards in the video.

It also will let you tag songs, from stations that use the Radio Data System.

AppleThis&That
Sep 10, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'm thinking of getting mine black or silver. I like mine to match my other Mac products. I'm weird that way.

techfreak85
Sep 10, 2009, 08:39 PM
OutSpoken. The FM rocks! It does live pausing. It essentially "records" live radio, so you can pause and even go backwards in the video.

It also will let you tag songs, from stations that use the Radio Data System.

just regular Fm? not HD radio?

fun173
Sep 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
wow im impressed with the vid quality i kept thinking "wheres the nano" hahaha im sold on one of these i have a yellow 4g but that green does look good so ill have trouble choosing between green and yellow

calderone
Sep 10, 2009, 09:05 PM
just regular Fm? not HD radio?

I think it is just FM. No HD radio.

Also, to clarify earlier, I meant to say "you can pause and go backwards in the FM audio."

Hayduke60
Sep 10, 2009, 10:48 PM
Were you zooming in and out with the click wheel? Or does it just auto focus on the subject?

techfreak85
Sep 10, 2009, 10:57 PM
Were you zooming in and out with the click wheel? Or does it just auto focus on the subject?
Im guessing no zooming and all auto focus. like most cell phone cameras.

NC MacGuy
Sep 10, 2009, 10:59 PM
Is the speaker hearable for normal things like a Touch?

How many MG's did that little vid squander? Just wondering since I'm always on the edge of maxing out 16GB devices.

Your Air has lines on the display. Are you going to return it?:p

GoCubsGo
Sep 10, 2009, 11:03 PM
Damn I think I need one.

shady825
Sep 10, 2009, 11:18 PM
Looks better than I thought. Maybe those demo videos on apple's website really were shot with the new nano.

When you see it uncompressed in person it really is amazing video! Im very impressed and SUPER happy with my new purchase.

Also, just took a 1500 step walk and burned 66 calories! haha! (took the dog for a walk and tested out the pedometer.. very cool!)

Damn I think I need one.

every single person I've shown it to in person says the same exact thing! :)

leethefilmer
Sep 11, 2009, 12:55 AM
I got mine today (10th).

Here is a sample video I filmed today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-yx_dFxhs

or

http://vimeo.com/6527854

three
Sep 11, 2009, 11:34 AM
Nice. I might pick up a green one, but I am wondering if the green is as dark as the picture says.

calderone
Sep 11, 2009, 01:24 PM
Nice. I might pick up a green one, but I am wondering if the green is as dark as the picture says.

It isn't very dark, but it is indeed dark. It has a nice deep color. I think you will like it.

Using the standard color profile for my Air and comparing the Apple photos to the one I have, I would say it is a bit darker than Apple's photos.

wallaby
Sep 11, 2009, 01:29 PM
It's too bad they changed the finish, these new glossy ones look like cheap crap compared to the old grain-metal matte finishes.

calderone
Sep 11, 2009, 01:44 PM
It's too bad they changed the finish, these new glossy ones look like cheap crap compared to the old grain-metal matte finishes.

I disagree. The beauty of these colors more than makes up for that. Appearance is subjective though, to each their own.

OutSpoken
Sep 11, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ok, so I was lucky enough to sell my 4g nano today..:) Got a very good return too. I figured the sooner the better before news catches on to your average non techy consumer..looking for more of a bargain.

5g nano is tempting...im just not sure on the shiny finish...these ones look like they will scratch easy. I thought for a moment, maybe a touch this time...but honestly the 5g nano has pwned it. So another thing is which colour to get? or shall I just get another silver.

gan6660
Sep 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
Ok, so I was lucky enough to sell my 4g nano today..:) Got a very good return too. I figured the sooner the better before news catches on to your average non techy consumer..looking for more of a bargain.

5g nano is tempting...im just not sure on the shiny finish...these ones look like they will scratch easy. I thought for a moment, maybe a touch this time...but honestly the 5g nano has pwned it. So another thing is which colour to get? or shall I just get another silver.

Im trying to sell my nano also was yours an 8gb? What color? How much did you get? Mine is listed in the marketplace but also on ebay. I thought the same as you since people may not know of the new nano yet so I figured sell on ebay now since the weekend it sees the most traffic.

MLeepson
Sep 11, 2009, 04:31 PM
Loving the new iPod
but...
Does anyones speaker sound like it's being muffled/echo-y?

OutSpoken
Sep 11, 2009, 05:09 PM
Im trying to sell my nano also was yours an 8gb? What color? How much did you get? Mine is listed in the marketplace but also on ebay. I thought the same as you since people may not know of the new nano yet so I figured sell on ebay now since the weekend it sees the most traffic.

I had a 6 week old 16gb silver...mint condition... everything but the ipod was still sealed and packaged, was always hooked up to my car or I would use my BB headphones... I let it go for 100. I was more than happy with that, considering I would of have went down to 90.

dXTC
Sep 11, 2009, 06:06 PM
The 16Gb blue is in my hands right now, and man, is it sweet.

If anyone cares for video camera file sizes, I've done a couple of test videos that were one minute long, and they average 19.1 Mb per minute. This means that a Gb will hold about 53 minutes of video. Keep that in mind when choosing which playlists to sync. If you're planning to do any video recording, switch off the "Automatically fill remaining space with songs" checkbox in the Music tab of your iPod settings.

Does anyones speaker sound like it's being muffled/echo-y?

It's a very small speaker with a very small port, so it's not nearly as loud as the Touch, with virtually no bass. It's good maybe for gathering everybody around to watch the goofy video you just recorded, but everyone will need to be quiet. I can't recommend it at all for extended music listening. Since it is mixing both the left and right channel into a single mono speaker, there may occasionally be a bit of "phase cancel", which distorts the sound a little.

Toddgabweg
Sep 12, 2009, 09:49 PM
I just ordered the orange ipod touch from amazon because it was ten dollars cheaper... I really don't care about the color...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L6HE7S/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

SomeSwede
Sep 13, 2009, 06:08 PM
What is it with Apple and cameras? The iPhone always had had a sub-par camera. For that price i think 5 megapixels should be standard.

And now a crappy video camera in the Nano? 640x480? That should be way below Apple's standards. It is something i would expect to find on some cheap Chinese knockoff. 2-3 megapixels still pictures and video would be more suitable. As it is now i think it would have been better if Apple had skipped the camera and lowered the price by 10 bucks.

sms52
Sep 13, 2009, 06:19 PM
Crappy camera? From all the youtube videos I've seen it looks very good and it should look even better before being uploaded. So keep trying to convince yourself that you don't want one.