PDA

View Full Version : GarageBand --> USB --> Serial --> MIDI --> Keyboard

stoid
Jul 5, 2004, 11:26 AM
I want to use GarageBand with my MIDI keyboard. I have had the keyboard for a while and it is a decent piece of equipment. I got it back in the days of the Performa and Serial ports. The MIDI box that I have plugged into the printer port on the back of the Performa. I now have a 15 inch PowerBook and would like to use it with GarageBand. I have recently acquired a Keyspan USB-Serial adapter (part USA-28) and have used that to span the gap between my Opcode MIDI Translator II. THere was never any driver for the MIDI box. I have downloaded and installed the Keyspan USB-Serial adapter driver, and it is obviously functional as the Network System Preference Pane now recognizes the two serial ports as possible network outlets. Ideas anyone? I'd really like to avoid purchasing any new hardware. Thanks guys!

stoid

Luap
Jul 5, 2004, 12:02 PM
I'd really like to avoid purchasing any new hardware. Thanks guys!

stoid

Out of luck i'm afraid.. Those Serial/USB interfaces are not really of any use for midi, as they introduce severe timing problems. And thats just if you can get it to work in the 1st place.
Far better to stump up the cash and buy a simple USB midi interface. they really don't cost that much now.

stoid
Jul 5, 2004, 12:17 PM
The USB MIDI devices I've seen are all 50-70 dollars. I really don't want to spend more than 20-30 at the most. Is there somewhere I'm not looking?

LeeTom
Jul 5, 2004, 12:21 PM
Edirol makes one for $39. My roommate has it and it works fine.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040705101837067160047204841643/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/700716/

It's your only option really...
Lee Tom