PDA

View Full Version : The Freedom of Wireless: My Experiences

Capt Underpants
Jul 5, 2004, 03:09 PM
I got my Powerbook about 2 months ago, and since then, I have been delving into the world of wireless. In the past two months, I have set up 3 wireless network (one for me, one for my grandparents, and one for my aunt), I have bought a wireless printer, a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse.

Guess how many cords I have connected to my computer! One! It's for power, and when my PB battery is charged, I can have no cords attached to it for hours. I can't tell you how much I love my new wireless stuff. It had made me a believer, and now my desk looks so clean. I even got a wireless controller for my xbox.

I really don't know why I am writing this. I guess it's to encourage people that are a bit weary about wireless technology to give it a try. I have, and I love it. I'll have to admit that some of the wireless networks were a bit frustrating to set up, but other than that it has been a breeze.

I have now given up the dell gaming machine in favor of an xbox, and have made the switch completely to Mac OSX. If you have been wanting to try out some wireless gear, I would encourage you to go ahead and get it. IT's truly awesome!

U2Rules!
Jul 5, 2004, 03:20 PM
I've just ordered a Powerbook with the exact same specs as yours. How do you like it?

JOD8FY
Jul 5, 2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to buy an AE card and Airport Express as soon as it comes out. What should I look out for when I set up a wireless network? Have you tried any wireless hotspots? Did you have any trouble with any bluetooth devices?

Thanks,
JOD8FY

Ryan1524
Jul 5, 2004, 03:57 PM
yesterday i watched TV with the PB browsing web on my lap. it was great.

then i had to meet someone down at the lobby, and as i'm waiting, i opened my PB and found a stray WiFi network, it just hooks in automatically an i'm online. joys of wireless - and dumb people not protecting their routers. :cool:

Capt Underpants
Jul 5, 2004, 04:15 PM
I've just ordered a Powerbook with the exact same specs as yours. How do you like it?

It's absolutely amazing. The best computer that I have ever owned!

Capt Underpants
Jul 5, 2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to buy an AE card and Airport Express as soon as it comes out. What should I look out for when I set up a wireless network? Have you tried any wireless hotspots? Did you have any trouble with any bluetooth devices?

Thanks,
JOD8FY

I don't know any real specifics about what to watch out for when setting up a wireless network. I would try and guess the amount of time you will spend setting it up, then add an hour on top of that. Chances are there will be some problems, but nothing that can't be fixed.

I haven't tried out any hot spots, but I have gone over to my grandparent's house and my aunt's house, and the PB has recognized the wireless network. Of course, I set up WEP encryption, so I had to enter the 10 digit WEP number on my PB in order for it to connect. That's only the first time, though, as you have the option of adding the 10 digit number to your (wow, the name just slipped my mind) thing in Mac OSX that saves passwords for you....

Bluetooth devices are a snap. The wireless Apple keyboard and mouse were a breeze to set up. I didn't even have to use the install Cd that came with them. I just went to the bluetooth icon in the system prefs and clicked on devices, then add a new device. It will detect the keyboard and mouse, then you're ready to go.

jimjiminyjim
Jul 5, 2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll go for it. Please make donations to the paypal account jimjiminyjim@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Capt Underpants
Jul 5, 2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll go for it. Please make donations to the paypal account jimjiminyjim@yahoo.com

Thank you.

LoL.... For what?

ravenvii
Jul 5, 2004, 07:00 PM
It's Keychain, Captain. :)

I know the freedom of wireless - I have a wireless network at home, it's grrrrreat!

But I still have wired keyboard and mouse. The keyboard because, well, it's a $3 unbranded Dell keyboard from my former university's surplus store. Ugly, but works and feel great. The mouse because I hate the Apple one-buttoned mouse, and the only other Bluetooth mouse that's good is the MX900, and from accounts, it doesn't work so great with Macs. So I got a MX500. Love the mouse.

So my iBook has 4 cords coming out of it (power, mouse/keyboard and monitor). Doesn't bother me that much, really.

jknight8907
Jul 5, 2004, 07:16 PM
I now have a wireless network at all of my grandparent's houses, my house, and a portable AP that I take to hotels and such. I love it!! Right now I'm watching 'Moonraker' from the couch! Of course, it's just dial-up, but still, its wireless! Next is a bluetooth printer, keyboard, mouse, Airport Express for music...

Wireless life is great!

virividox
Jul 5, 2004, 07:25 PM
i love wireless, especially on campus or in malls with hotspots; its a shame my school doesnt implement it campus wide.

i have a wireless network at home, but my house is made of concrete and reinforced steel to withstand the typhoons in the philippines, its range is very poor.

jimjiminyjim
Jul 5, 2004, 07:32 PM
LoL.... For what?

Why, for my new wireless network! What else?

Capt Underpants
Jul 5, 2004, 07:53 PM
It's Keychain, Captain. :)

I know the freedom of wireless - I have a wireless network at home, it's grrrrreat!

But I still have wired keyboard and mouse. The keyboard because, well, it's a $3 unbranded Dell keyboard from my former university's surplus store. Ugly, but works and feel great. The mouse because I hate the Apple one-buttoned mouse, and the only other Bluetooth mouse that's good is the MX900, and from accounts, it doesn't work so great with Macs. So I got a MX500. Love the mouse.

So my iBook has 4 cords coming out of it (power, mouse/keyboard and monitor). Doesn't bother me that much, really.

Ahh! That's what it's called. I still couldn't remember until you reminded me. Thanks.

Yes, before I bought the apple BT keyboard and mouse I had an mx900 and another logitech keyboard. I didn't read on the box at the store that it was only windows compatible, so I got it home, opened it up, and, realizing it wouldn't work, grudgingly packed it back up and asked my mom to take me back up to CompUSA to get the Apple branded ones. They work great, and I couldn't be happier. I'll eventually have an external monitor cord coming out of my Powerbook (probably after Christmas when my teenage funds will be able to afford a CRT). I think I'll be able to handle two cords coming out of my PB, but 4 peripherals being connected. That's not too bad!

edit: I talked the guy at CompUSA into giving me an OSX labeled mousepad that they use for all of their display mice. Pretty cool, huh?

Capt Underpants
Jul 5, 2004, 07:54 PM
Why, for my new wireless network! What else?

I doubt many here would be willing to give their cold hard cash to a stranger, but, hey, if you get a donation, then you deserve one.

jimjiminyjim
Jul 5, 2004, 09:03 PM
I've often wondered about those people who set up websites with paypal accounts towards a certain goal. It seems a little silly - but it also seems to work once in a while. As for a "donate now" button on this site, I don't think that will work. Pretty well everyone here drools over having all the newest and latest - meaning they'll donate to their own "wireless network accounts"

However, having said that, if anyone wants to donate, I will post updates of the account status... :)

daxdagr8t
Jul 8, 2004, 01:51 AM
i love wireless, especially on campus or in malls with hotspots; its a shame my school doesnt implement it campus wide.

i have a wireless network at home, but my house is made of concrete and reinforced steel to withstand the typhoons in the philippines, its range is very poor.

ya tell me about it, i set up a wireless network in my grandmas house in the philippines and it did not work that well.Besides having steel reinforced walls the house is just so darn big that i have to put the router and access point in the center of the house which is the kitchen. :D viridox which places in manila has wireless hotspots?i did not really bother to look when i was there.

johnnyjibbs
Jul 8, 2004, 04:11 AM
I have an older version of the 12" PB (1GHz) and it's great. I now use the Apple Bluetooth mouse and think it's great (don't care about it just having one button). I got an AirPort Extreme card for it recently (they didn't used to include it with the PB) and can go wireless in my university library.

I've just persuaded my parents to get cheap broadband at home - it'll only be 256kbps but it's a start. And it will mean the green light for AirPort Express, which should be available when I come back from my holiday in France. That'll just leave a cheap 20 wireless 802.11g card for our home Dell desktop and then I'll have wireless internet, music via AirTunes and printing in our house and will have the freedom to surf wherever at better than dialup speeds! Problem is, I could do with 2 AirPort Express stations, but WANT and NEED are two different things... :( :)

BakedBeans
Jul 8, 2004, 04:17 AM
i have the 15 inch superdrive rev c .... with wireless network...
and its amazing...truley amazing.... i have 1 thing in my powerbook also, the power.... sitting in the garden is great...

ffor those of you that dont have a huge range then just buy an airport express and use it as a bridge...its all gravy

MacFan26
Jul 8, 2004, 05:29 AM
Right now I'm watching 'Moonraker' from the couch!

:D cool, I love a good Bond movie while using wireless! I'm using my PB with a 102.11b Airport card and a NetGear router. I've had it going for about a month and it's awesome :)

sirlan
Jul 8, 2004, 08:25 AM
I set up a wireless network in my apartment a few weeks ago for me and my roommate. I love not having to drag around a 50' cable with my ibook. I also set up a printer on my base station yesterday and it works great also. Wireless is just freaking cool.

fingers
Jul 8, 2004, 10:26 AM
I used to work as a computer engineer and have installed probably miles of cat5 cable - i hate it.

I was a little bit circumspect when wireless appeared but I love it now.

If you have a airport card built in but no basestation - check to see if there are any networks near you. I can connect to two of my neighboors networks from mine and browse the web... Makes a real cheap wireless network. :D and is a good back up if your isp goes down.

Might compromise your security and is almost certainly illegal tho... You have been warned.

VooDooPope
Jul 8, 2004, 01:32 PM
I had a lightning strike that fried my base station at home recently so I've been plugged in to my connection for the past few weeks. But this weekend I had to work and my wife wanted to go swiming at her brothers house so I packed up the wife, kids and powerbook. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up my powerbook and bam I was on my brother in law's wireless network.

having to work on the 4th and 5th wasn't so bad working poolside. :D