PDA

View Full Version : what does the PC card bus do on the PB?

phreakout13
Jul 5, 2004, 03:23 PM
What do PC cards do? Thanks:)

7on
Jul 5, 2004, 03:59 PM
It's a form of PCI but smaller-ized for laptops.

KingSleaze
Jul 5, 2004, 04:09 PM
It's a form of PCI but smaller-ized for laptops.

Then the question becomes where to find useful PC cards for the PB. GPS?

vollspacken
Jul 5, 2004, 04:11 PM
What do PC cards do? Thanks:)

sorry, but is this supposed to be a joke??? if not, have you tried Google???

vSpacken

Jalexster
Jul 5, 2004, 04:31 PM
PCIMA is the real name of PC Card.

They can be anything; an Ethernet NIC, an analogue modem, a Wi-Fi unit, a Firewire card, a GPS unit, A video input card, etc...

They may be hot-swapable, I'm not sure. They can do everything that PCI does but because it's in a easier to access place than on a normal computer, it can be other, more useful things.

However, since USB got on the scene, it's been dying. Thats why it's only on the 15-inch and 17-inch powerbooks, because they are designed to have everything. It's faster than USB I think though, but USB is fast enough for most things.

I personally think that having one on an iMac or e-Mac would be useful, because thier designs don't allow normal, full sized cards. And it would allow better expansion. The new iMac may have one.

Jo-Kun
Jul 5, 2004, 07:01 PM
it was very usefull on my old Ti-Book (before it got stolen :-S) I plugged a USB2 card in there to get faster speeds when downloading the images from my DSLR camera onto my computer...

in some cases I've herd users getting other WiFi cards in there to boost the poor signal for AirPort (yes Poor... my G5 gets a better connection on my AirPort than the old Ti-Book did and its further away!!!) or get extreme speed(g) on a machine wich is built for the b standard...

you can allso buy PCMCIA->CF cards too for the same reason... or people who bought for instance the last series of Ti-Books and needed FW800...
or for a special dedicated audiocard since there is a lack of support on it by standard issues... some people need portablilty and expansion for it...

just some thoughts... because otherwise you can get outdated so soon...

the only reason we don't see it on the 12" is because of the formfactor (thats why there is no FW800 allso) and on the iBooks because they're not meant to be as powerfull...

J

virividox
Jul 5, 2004, 07:35 PM
you could also use it for audio input and output so you could free up a usb or firewire port witha dedicated set of high quality audio ports

Celeron
Jul 5, 2004, 07:46 PM
PCIMA is the real name of PC Card.

Actually, its PCMCIA.