Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csmitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Ok, I'm trying to get into the TC volume through Teminal and having some trouble. from my user volume when I open terminal I use cd /Volumes/TC name

Now in Finder it has a name, but when clicking on that the first folder shows something different does that matter. Also in terminal am i correct that spaces need a \ as in "My\ TC"

Thanks.

I'm trying to reassign a backup to a new computer and having trouble with the proper terminal procedures.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Ok, I'm trying to get into the TC volume through Teminal and having some trouble. from my user volume when I open terminal I use cd /Volumes/TC name

Now in Finder it has a name, but when clicking on that the first folder shows something different does that matter. Also in terminal am i correct that spaces need a \ as in "My\ TC"

Use either the quoted form or the backslashed-space form. Don't do both.

For example, if the disk name in Finder is "A Fine Time" (without the quotes), then you'd use one of the following command-lines in Terminal:

Code:
cd /Volumes/A\ Fine\ Time

cd "/Volumes/A Fine Time"

Also, Terminal windows are drag-n-drop aware. If you type cd by itself, don't hit Return, then drag the TC disk from Finder onto the window and drop it, its pathname will be automatically entered. I do this all the time with deeply nested pathnames.

Finally, in the future, please give the actual error messages you get (copy and paste them from Terminal), rather than giving the vague description "having some trouble". No one knows the trouble you've seen unless you include the exact error message.

csmitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Use either the quoted form or the backslashed-space form. Don't do both.

For example, if the disk name in Finder is "A Fine Time" (without the quotes), then you'd use one of the following command-lines in Terminal:

Code:
cd /Volumes/A\ Fine\ Time

cd "/Volumes/A Fine Time"

Also, Terminal windows are drag-n-drop aware. If you type cd by itself, don't hit Return, then drag the TC disk from Finder onto the window and drop it, its pathname will be automatically entered. I do this all the time with deeply nested pathnames.

Finally, in the future, please give the actual error messages you get (copy and paste them from Terminal), rather than giving the vague description "having some trouble". No one knows the trouble you've seen unless you include the exact error message.

Ah ok, I was just doing the "" to distinquish what I was doing, I wasn't actually adding them in Terminal. And I wasn't ever getting a error message. I would type in what I believe would be correct but all I would get back is a new line with >

Dragging and dropping a time capsule folder showed I was missing a ' in the name. Formatting that correctly allowed me to change directories like I wanted.

Also I can only drag folders in the time capusle but not the shared disk itself from finder. Is this correct?

Thanks for the reply!

csmitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I'm using this method to change the attributes of my TC backup to my current mac.

$ sudo fsaclctl -p/Volumes/Backup\ of\ MyMac -d
$ sudo xattr -w com.apple.backupd.BackupMachineAddress 00:1a:2b:3c:4f:56 /Volumes/Backup\ of\ MyMac/Backups.backupdb/MyMac
$ sudo fsaclctl -p/Volumes/Backup\ of\ MyMac -e
$ cd /Volumes/Time\ Capsule
$ sudo mv .00f9e8d7c6b5 .001a2b3c4f56
$ sudo mv MyMac_00f9e8d7c6b5.sparsebundle MyMac_.001a2b3c4f56.sparsebundle

My question is My old back up is one name, but my new comp. is a different name. How would that apply to this situation here?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
And I wasn't ever getting a error message. I would type in what I believe would be correct but all I would get back is a new line with >

If you'd said that instead of "having some trouble", I would have known immediately that it's an unbalanced quote problem. Vague questions can only be replied to with vague answers.

Also I can only drag folders in the time capusle but not the shared disk itself from finder. Is this correct?

The description of what you're doing is too vague. Pretend I can't see your screen or your actions, and describe exactly what you're doing and seeing.

csmitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
If you'd said that instead of "having some trouble", I would have known immediately that it's an unbalanced quote problem. Vague questions can only be replied to with vague answers.

The description of what you're doing is too vague. Pretend I can't see your screen or your actions, and describe exactly what you're doing and seeing.

I opened up Terminal, opened Finder, clicked the shared TC on the left side of the finder window then dragged to Terminal. Nothing happens. I go into the Time Capsule through finder and the main folder I can not drag as well. But the next level I can.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I opened up Terminal, opened Finder, clicked the shared TC on the left side of the finder window then dragged to Terminal. Nothing happens. I go into the Time Capsule through finder and the main folder I can not drag as well. But the next level I can.

If the Finder doesn't show the Time Capsule icon on the desktop, then it's not mounted. If it's not mounted, then there's no pathname which refers to the files and folders located on the device. If there's no pathname, then no command-line tool in Terminal can access anything on the device.

Another check: in Terminal, enter this command and post the output:

Code:
mount
If your Time Capsule share isn't listed, then it's not mounted, so there's no pathname that a command could use to refer to anything on the device.

An unmounted device is effectively off-line and unreachable until it's been mounted. When you double-click a disk-image file, its contents are mounted as a disk. When you eject its disk icon, it's unmounted and goes off-line. The disk-image file is still there, but it's not mounted as a disk, so its contents have no pathname.

I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.