Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breyeguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Hi, I just bought a 12" ibook G4 with an airport extreme card, and I'm having difficulty receiving signal from my wireless router. My router is a Network 802.11b 2.4GHz which works GREAT with my roommates PC laptop. I have a cordless phone, but it opperates at 900 MHz. I have the router on the Kitchen counter and my connection fizzles out anywhere farther than about 6 feet from the router. The other computer in the house works fine at over 50 feet. I'm hoping that there is something wrong with my settings, because apple is proud of the fact that their computers come wired with an antenna. Has anyone else had this problem? I called Apple Care, but didn't get anywhere with them. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm very new to Mac's (I LOVE my new computer and am already committed to a lifetime of mac use!) I just want to get this wireless connection problem fixed (preferably without buying an airport base station) so I can continue enjoying my mac outside of my kitchen!

Brian

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It sounds like an antenna connection issue (you should either have no connection due to hardware/software failure elsewhere, or else much, much more range).

Keep on with Apple support. Get a case number. Refer to it each time. Do not get off the phone without one, and be sure to mention it each time. Eventually, you'll get someone who can help.

If you installed the card yourself, please check that the antenna wire is properly connected.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Make sure your ibook's antenna is plugged in all the way. Mine gets a solid signal through 4 walls and well into the back yard from a wireless router that's notorious for having a crappy antenna. I do get an arc of silence when I'm lined up with one of the bedroom closets but there's a lot of junk in there.

breyeguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I'll give it a try

I'm going to try and figure out how to open up this computer in the morning and see if the airport card is installed properly. Thanks for the advice. It's encouraging to know that some people have proven good experiences with their wireless airport connection. I'll post again tomorrow after I've had a chance to take a look. Thanks again,

brian

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Getting inside your ibook and acessing the airport card should not be a problem. Getting your antenae properly connected all the way is a pain. Make sure it is set in properly along with the airport card. I had a hard time getting my antanae plugged in properly. Its a struggle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.