Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Prototype Apple products have been known to appear on eBay. Late last year, a prototype MacBook Air was found by a member of our forum and in March a prototype iPhone was spotted.

A prototype Mac Pro has recently been put up for sale on eBay, claiming to be an early 2.4GHz dual Quad-Core processor machine. The machine is said to even be able to run Snow Leopard. Photos of the machine are provided and it does contain a red motherboard typical of Apple's prototype machines:

053718-!BUt2jSg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl5Z,dBKO7F1Vulw~~_3.JPG_500.jpg

053719-!BUqF2g!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBKOnvJ8qjQ~~_3.JPG_500.jpg

Meanwhile, another interesting prototype machine was found by a forum member back in May. jpo287 purchased a PowerBook that carries an Intel processor and an iSight camera -- features that were never released in a "PowerBook" branded machine. The machine carries a build date of November of 2005 which was two months before the first Intel MacBook Pros were released. For whatever reason, this unreleased PowerBook contains a blue motherboard:

054347-P1020022.JPG_500.jpg

More photos and speculation can be seen in the original discussion thread.

Article Link: Prototype Mac Pro and Intel PowerBook Spotted

Jimmetry

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
This should definitely be in Page 2.

Of course a Mac Pro can run Snow Leopard, it's completely Intel.

And a prototype PowerBook 2 months before the MacBook Pros were released simply indicates they changed the name within that timeframe, not that they tried to tack on a bunch of Intellian stuff onto a PPC-intended motherboard :p

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Wtf ?????

Jesus ... who gives a rats ass!

I don't know, sometimes Apple fanboys just go a little too far; we'll be analysing the different types of wiring used next!

Hmmm!

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
The title should say "Dirty Prototype Mac Pro, and Intel PowerBook Spotted"

Then people would wonder if that dirt is Steve's saliva or Woz's sweat.

In other words, who cares.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The title should say "Dirty Prototype Mac Pro, and Intel PowerBook Spotted"

Then people would wonder if that dirt is Steve's saliva or Woz's sweat.

In other words, who cares.

Yeah.

I would have cleaned the case.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
wow, some people just have super bad attitudes.

Prototype machines are cool because they are extremely rare, especially from Apple. Personally I collect synthesizers and not computers. However it is cool to find these rare jems.

The problem I have is there are quite a few people that see a couple people getting excited over something, and feel they need to flame. Honestly if you couldn't care less about a prototype machine, then your just a damn fool for reading a theard with the first word being Prototype.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It looks like the yellow wire is from a new distributor from Asia that is suppose to help cut costs and improve connectivity. I can make out the part number yet.
:D

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Jesus ... who gives a rats ass!

I don't know, sometimes Apple fanboys just go a little too far; we'll be analysing the different types of wiring used next!

Hmmm!

Agreed... who cares? But it's got nothing to do with being a 'fanboy'. How this is page one news I'll never know.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
pretty cool. i wouldn't mind having those things, but i wouldn't want to pay a high price for it. i think i'll stick to new ones that are sure to work properly

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
Seems like you'd have to be a pretty dyed-in-the-wool fanboy to get excited about something like this! It's interesting and all, but I can't picture myself dying to own something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.