Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IIc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Anybody else notice this...
New Apple G5 case brought out in beautiful aluminium - Now Apple have updated the screens to match

But what about the white keyboard and mouse - talk about a mismatch

Not that I'm complaining, but Apple seems to have forgotten about those two items.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Rumors have already been a-flyin' that they'll go aluminum as well, with even the rumored possibility of a multi-button aluminum "pro" mouse.

Of course, rumors and two bits will get you 1/6th of a Starbucks coffee, so take it all with a grain of salt. But it makes sense.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
It wasn't until I had actually received my PowerBook that I realized the powercord and transformer had the same white color as the accessories I had with my iBook... up until I got it, it just didn't even enter my mind that it wouldn't match. Well, I was wrong... it is kind of annoying that Apple doesn't have the accessories to match the Pro styles. I'd like to see an aluminum keyboard...

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
IIc said:
But what about the white keyboard and mouse - talk about a mismatch
I love the white keyboard and mouse, it contrasts beautifully with the Aluminium case. An Al keyboard and mouse would be too much metal.

I also love the white accessories with the Powerbooks.

Keep 'em white I don't want more metal.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Finiksa said:
I love the white keyboard and mouse, it contrasts beautifully with the Aluminium case. An Al keyboard and mouse would be too much metal.

I also love the white accessories with the Powerbooks.

Keep 'em white I don't want more metal.
I think it makes sense to keep the notebook powercords white--after all, they need to blend in with walls and furniture, which aren't usually brushed aluminum. However, I agree that brushed aluminum or even black keyboards/mice would look better with the G5s.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Aren't the left and right side panels on the new displays white plastic anyway?

I haven't been able to see a really good picture yet but they look like it to me, I don't think you're ever going to get away from the white plastic completely.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
Steve says no...

Apple releasing a pro 2-button wireless mouse would be amazing, but I don't think it's realistic. If you check out Steve Jobs Weblog (http://justonemorething.com), he says on the 30th of May that this is not gonna happen.

Of course you can tell me now that the guy writing this blog is not Steve Jobs, which would pi$$ me off a bit cause I liked reading it believing that it was written by him....on the other hand, this blog not being written by his Steveness could mean that 2-button mice aren't out of the question...

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Tomaz said:
Apple releasing a pro 2-button wireless mouse would be amazing, but I don't think it's realistic. If you check out Steve Jobs Weblog (http://justonemorething.com), he says on the 30th of May that this is not gonna happen.

Of course you can tell me now that the guy writing this blog is not Steve Jobs, which would pi$$ me off a bit cause I liked reading it believing that it was written by him....on the other hand, this blog not being written by his Steveness could mean that 2-button mice aren't out of the question...
it's not written by steve jobs. on the bottom of the page it says "A Parody"

Attachments

• parody.jpg
    parody.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 87

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'd be happy with at least some aluminum trim to tie together the look. I don't need a metallic keyboard - although something like the PB's look would be appreciated. My Kensington StudioMouse Wireless is a nice blend of white and metal and serves to sort of tie my wireless Apple keyboard and my G5 together.

That said, I hardly notice the keyboard and mouse, so I wouldn't buy another one just for a better look.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I always liked the clear/black keyboard and mouse that came with my old 466 Mhz G4 (Digital Audio) -- think it would look a lot better with my G5 than this ugly white plastic.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Come on guys

Having everything matching is so NOT in style. You gotta have things that coordinate. I think the Aqua style displays looked much better with the G5's, esp when you threw in a white keyboard and mouse. All the same style ( metallic look ) is So not the way to go.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My complaint is that it really gets dirty. The last time I checked iSkins still doesn't have a skin available for the keyboard. :(

IIc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Keyboard and Mouse

Don't get me wrong...I love the current form factor...But how about applying all the technology Apple has at its disposal...How about using the firefly technology on a wired keyboard..that would be awesome...

Also, there was talk a while back of apple patenting a lighting effect tha would show a different colour for a different purpose..red for an alert..blue for mail etc...that could also be integrated quite easily..

The mice debate is a thorny one, one button vs two..I get by ok with one button but I am not a power user, two buttons would be better for a pro user. I just thought one of those steel finishes under the polycarbonate like the old G4's would be nice

IIc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Absolutely

Koodauw said:
Having everything matching is so NOT in style. You gotta have things that coordinate. I think the Aqua style displays looked much better with the G5's, esp when you threw in a white keyboard and mouse. All the same style ( metallic look ) is So not the way to go.

completely right..having everything metal would age very quickly...even a different texture or finish would go well..

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
If you really *must* have a two button scroll mouse that matches your G5, maybe this one will do. (this has come up in Macrumors before)

http://www.macmice.com/themouseal.html

The keyboard, though, is still missing . . .

Attachments

• mouseal_240_1.jpg
    mouseal_240_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 341

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
I dunno.

That would make the keyboards pretty heavy.
Plus, that would mean that when you spill your soda on your keyboard, all of the holes on the bottom would mean that the soda spills out of the keyboard and into your desk. That doesn't bode well for new keyboard sales. :p

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Frohickey said:
I dunno.

That would make the keyboards pretty heavy.
Plus, that would mean that when you spill your soda on your keyboard, all of the holes on the bottom would mean that the soda spills out of the keyboard and into your desk. That doesn't bode well for new keyboard sales. :p
hey, at least your keyboard wouldnt overheat, plus:

*insert dangerous doses of sarcasm*
maybe that would mean the new imac wouldnt have a wireless tablet display. it would have a wireless keyboard with a g5 in it. there would be no lag at long distances like with some bt keyboards and it would be able to correct your spelling before it got to the cpu. add 256mb of ram and a 4gb ipod mini hard drive and you can have a keyboard running os x. if you had a wired keyboard, you could just put a 2nd cinema display in your living room and have a fw keyboard with no need for a cpu, kinda like web tv, only less crappy. that's the new apple digital hub. connect your 23" hd display to one of those dvi hd tuners and you have a combo tv/computer, and you could even connect it to your stereo system thru the tuner to have the perfect home theater to stream internet video, watch tv, listen to itunes w/out an airport express, and even play games on your living room tv, with a fw cd rom. plus, being aluminum and with g5ish holes, it would be adequately cooled, although it would burn a hole thru your couch.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
wdlove said:
My complaint is that it really gets dirty. The last time I checked iSkins still doesn't have a skin available for the keyboard. :(

yes the dirt is a big question, I have the standard keyboard + a wireless one... both a dirty... even more than the old white one wich they made a few years ago...

and iSkin sells the protectors now... but I'm not using US QWERTY... its BE AZERTY so no protector for me...

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
My friend uses PCs, but loves macs, and when she came over and saw my white keyboard, her comment, "I liked the thin ones that came with the first iMacs the best"... to each their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.