PDA

View Full Version : gmail vs. mac.com mail

gwuMACaddict
Jul 6, 2004, 08:29 AM
i am currently using my mac.com and my gmail.com accounts as my primary email addresses. does anyone have any information about apple updating their mac.com accounts to include more storage? seems to me that they need to do something, with yahoo, gmail, and hotmail all increasing their storage.

thoughts?

osprey76
Jul 6, 2004, 09:05 AM
To be competitive with the aforementioned free services, it seems to me that Apple should be increasing their storage for its paid service. Personally, I do not have any problems with the current storage level since I don't keep much on their servers. The key thing I would like to see improved is the speed and reliability of .Mac webmail. It usually works well when it is up, but there seems to be quite a bit of down time. I use it to look at my personal email while away from home or at work and it annoys the heck out of me when I can't get in.

kgarner
Jul 6, 2004, 09:13 AM
I wish Apple would update the size of the storage, but for the iDisk. 15MB is really enough for me (does anyone really need 1GB of space for email?), but I would like more space on my iDisk. That and making the transfer rates A LOT better. The iDisk is so slow! :mad:

iJon
Jul 6, 2004, 09:23 AM
well lately i have been getting the almost full email, so now i wish they would increase it, even to 25 or so. i have a lot of messages i keep in a folder, but most of my mailbox is just undeleted files in the in, sent, and trash box.

iJon

rainman::|:|
Jul 6, 2004, 09:33 AM
They should offer 1gb iDisk, and then have mail share that space. So, you get 1gb storage all said and done, you ration it yourself.

Tho, for $99/year, i should think 3 or 5 gig would be more appropriate...

paul

gwuMACaddict
Jul 6, 2004, 10:25 AM
They should offer 1gb iDisk, and then have mail share that space. So, you get 1gb storage all said and done, you ration it yourself.

paul

oooo- now thats an idea i like actually... steve needs to start browsing these forums more often for good ideas ;)

michaelrjohnson
Jul 6, 2004, 11:28 AM

paul

For this reason, I have never understood the draw of .Mac. After they took away my iTools account, I just used email elsewhere. I have since found GMail, and it is *very* nice, I might add. So I won't be using .Mac anytime soon.

jsw
Jul 6, 2004, 11:33 AM
For this reason, I have never understood the draw of .Mac. After they took away my iTools account, I just used email elsewhere. I have since found GMail, and it is *very* nice, I might add. So I won't be using .Mac anytime soon.

Yeah, it's hard to defend. I'm not sure I'll renew again this fall; I'm just not seeing the value.

If they upped iDisk space, then, yeah, I'd be much more likely to stay. Mail space doesn't mean as much to me.

Sabbath
Jul 6, 2004, 11:35 AM
Apple need to do something to really make .mac worth the money. The services seems pretty good, I would really like the photo posting for example, but there just isn't enough space to justify the cost. Backing up could be really useful if there were a few gigs of space available, but it's just not enough to tempt me right now. Additionally when I had my free trial I found the email was always down aswell which was highly disappointing.

I think we will be seeing some updates though, its not Apples style to stay competitive or keep edging just ahead, they have to be miles ahead then become pretty uncompetitive then miles ahead again and repeat. :rolleyes:

Wyvernspirit
Jul 6, 2004, 01:06 PM
Right now I don't know if I will continue with .mac, I also don't know if I will be able to afford it for that matter. But if it had more iDisk space than I might not have as a hard time deciding. I now have a gmail account. Have always had a yahoo account and get seven accounts through comcast, and that doesn't include work. So I guess I am covered on email if i decide to drop it. More iDisk space for backing up would be useaful.

idkew
Jul 6, 2004, 01:59 PM
with prices of consumer HDs at <$1/GB i see no reason apple can't loosen their sphincter and give us some more space.

edit: for what it is worth- i informed apple (.mac) that i would not be re-subscribing if my store size was not upped to at least 5GB.

seamuskrat
Jul 6, 2004, 04:09 PM
With the current market, I would be shocked if .Mac did not up the ante considerably sometime soon.

A minimum of 1 gig between iDisk and Mail would be a great start. With tiger's sync ability, having the ability to sync your home directory across many Macs would require a server (faster than current iDisk) with a few gigs of space. I think for 99.00 a year they could dole out say 10 gigs, knowing that few people will actually max that out.

But I also agree, that the value for .Mac is falling as other reliable services offer the same features for free and often have more bonus stuff.

MacFan25
Jul 6, 2004, 04:15 PM

paul
This is a good idea, as I'd like to put a lot more on my iDisk, but just don't have the space, and don't want to pay to upgrade for more.

My renewal comes in December, and at this point I'm not sure if I'll upgrade or not. .Mac is supposed to be integrated better in Tiger, so maybe that'll help convince me to renew.