PDA

View Full Version : Copyright bill poses threat to iPod's future

MacBytes
Jul 6, 2004, 09:42 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Copyright bill poses threat to iPod\'s future (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040706104227)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

mkubal
Jul 6, 2004, 10:19 AM
This bill is an absolute travesty.

But I'm unsure of who would sue Apple. Certainly not the RIAA. How could they approve of legal download services and then turn around and sue Apple for offering a product with which you could listen to your legally downloaded music. And what does the number of songs the thing can hold have to do with anything. They don't send it to you with 10,000 illegal songs on it. It's just a hard drive. Any hard drive can hold music.

I know the implications of this bill apply to more than just Apple, but I just don't understand how this can be.

One of these days someone is going to sue me for hearing a song on the radio, not buying it, and singing it to myself in the shower. How dare I.

Matt

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 6, 2004, 11:53 AM
Just goes to show that what was said about politicians not reading the bills before them is true.

shamino
Jul 6, 2004, 02:07 PM
Just goes to show that what was said about politicians not reading the bills before them is true.
What makes you think they were unaware of this potential for abuse?

Lots of polititians are in bed with trial lawyers. Many of them, in fact, are trial lawyers. I could easily see them favoring any law that gives big corporations carte blanche to sue everybody under the sun.

shamino
Jul 6, 2004, 02:28 PM
But I'm unsure of who would sue Apple. Certainly not the RIAA. How could they approve of legal download services and then turn around and sue Apple for offering a product with which you could listen to your legally downloaded music. And what does the number of songs the thing can hold have to do with anything. They don't send it to you with 10,000 illegal songs on it. It's just a hard drive. Any hard drive can hold music.

I know the implications of this bill apply to more than just Apple, but I just don't understand how this can be.
The EFF (http://www.eff.org/) has a fake complaint (http://www.eff.org/IP/Apple_Complaint.php) that spells out very clearly how all kinds of people can be sued under this law.

Until now, there is no restriction on someone making a device that could be used for piracy, as long as there are "substantial non-infringing uses" as well. Which is why VCRs, cassette recorders, CD-RW drives, etc. are all legal. Under this bill, however, that all gets thrown out the window - if you make a device that has the potential to be used for priacy, you will be liable for any acts of piracy that others perform with it.

This effectively gives a copyright owner the right to sue just about anybody. Anyone making a recording device of any kind can be sued because the device can be used to record copyrighted material. Your cell phone manufacturer can be sued because you can place a call during a concert and let another person listen for free. A ball-point pen manufacturer can be sued because you can write down a song's lyrics. Cable-modem manufacturers can be sued because lots of people use their broadband connections to pirate stuff.

Maybe courts will throw out most of these suits as frivolous, but the cost of defense against these suits can be enough to drive small companies out of business and make big companies think real hard before introducing new products.

mainstreetmark
Jul 6, 2004, 03:55 PM
Greed.

millhouse_man
Jul 6, 2004, 08:16 PM
This sounds completely ridiculous.
What if thousands of people started robbing banks and used Ferraris as the getaway cars? Would this make Ferrari liable for assisting in the getaway? I mean, come on!

shamino
Jul 7, 2004, 11:39 AM
This sounds completely ridiculous.
What if thousands of people started robbing banks and used Ferraris as the getaway cars? Would this make Ferrari liable for assisting in the getaway? I mean, come on!
Yes. Completely ridiculous.

And might become the law of the land if we're not careful.

slipper
Jul 7, 2004, 12:40 PM
have we all forgot about iTunes?

in the event that P2P networks get shut down, i feel iPods will need to open up to WMA formats also.