PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard - Finder - Sort folders first, then files

xper
Sep 11, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi!

I really prefer Windows way of sorting a folder, first folders and then files, is there a way to do it in Snow Leopard?

I have done this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=2870134&postcount=1

But that doest work for me in SL, so anyone else got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Richard1028
Sep 11, 2009, 04:08 PM
You might want to google a mac app called, "Pathfinder".

Consultant
Sep 11, 2009, 04:20 PM
Windows way = fail.

Ever try to sort by last modified in windows? Doesn't work due to separate folder / file arrangements.

That's why people rarely use the detailed view to sort files in windows.

theBigD23
Sep 12, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'd also like a way to do this without a third party app.

professorjay
Oct 7, 2009, 11:52 PM
Windows way = fail.

Ever try to sort by last modified in windows? Doesn't work due to separate folder / file arrangements.

Just because Windows has this minor feature and Mac doesn't, it's an automatic fail? I do not need to do something the 'Windows' way or 'Mac' way. Just the most efficient way.

I have thousands of audio files sorted by folders in hierarchies that can go several levels deep. Listing folders first would be very helpful.

I may finally give PathFinder a shot.

devburke
Oct 8, 2009, 12:57 AM
Windows way = fail.

You know, I prefer Macs in almost every way and will usually defend them, but in this case I think they got it wrong. Folders at the top make sense. But all it would take is an option under View > Arrange By, separated from Name, Date Modified, etc. by a separator like this one:

…which you can check that says “Arrange Folders at Top” or something like that. It can even be off by default if you prefer!

ivnj
Oct 8, 2009, 01:17 AM
Just say arrange by kind. All folders get separated from everything else. If they go to the bottom and not to the top do it again and they will. When you say arrange by kind they got in oposite order. If they were on bottom they will move to the top and visa versa. Just do it again. Try it.

devburke
Oct 8, 2009, 01:27 AM
Just say arrange by kind. All folders get separated from everything else. If they go to the bottom and not to the top do it again and they will. When you say arrange by kind they got in oposite order. If they were on bottom they will move to the top and visa versa. Just do it again. Try it.

The problem with that is what if I want all my files to be listed together by NAME and not separated by type? Separating out folders while keeping all other files mixed together isn’t all that crazy since all different filetypes are still files, but a FOLDER is not!

ivnj
Oct 8, 2009, 05:15 PM
It separates everything not just folders. Try it.

Richard1028
Oct 8, 2009, 05:43 PM
It separates everything not just folders. Try it.But this also destroys any logical sort on the non-folders.

Whatever. The Finder in OSX has always sucked and always will. I'd just settle for the ability to move a freaking file without dragging the damn thing.

calderone
Oct 8, 2009, 06:09 PM
But this also destroys any logical sort on the non-folders.

Whatever. The Finder in OSX has always sucked and always will. I'd just settle for the ability to move a freaking file without dragging the damn thing.

With your ability to see the future, I would hope you would make some smart financial decisions.

And why do you need to have folders at the top? Have you tried typing the name of the things you want? That brings you right to it. Why be a passive user when you can be active?

Here are some basic tips for navigating in Finder:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010510111342529

professorjay
Oct 8, 2009, 10:48 PM
And why do you need to have folders at the top? Have you tried typing the name of the things you want? That brings you right to it. Why be a passive user when you can be active?

So now I need to memorize the names of all my thousands of files? Why not throw every single file in one monster folder in that case? My computer is supposed to work for me, not the other way around.

This attitude of 'what you want is wrong, Apple is right, just deal with it' around here is why I rarely visit.

tongteh
Oct 8, 2009, 11:21 PM
You know, I prefer Macs in almost every way and will usually defend them, but in this case I think they got it wrong. Folders at the top make sense. But all it would take is an option under View > Arrange By, separated from Name, Date Modified, etc. by a separator like this one:

…which you can check that says “Arrange Folders at Top” or something like that. It can even be off by default if you prefer!

hmm, i just tried to do that, but i cant get the seperator? why? anyone?

all i have is this:

Richard1028
Oct 9, 2009, 01:44 AM
With your ability to see the future, I would hope you would make some smart financial decisions.Yes. I'm going to buy stock in Pathfinder.

And why do you need to have folders at the top?Why do you need them mixed with files?

Have you tried typing the name of the things you want? That brings you right to it. What if I forgot the name?

devburke
Oct 9, 2009, 09:05 AM
hmm, i just tried to do that, but i cant get the seperator? why? anyone?

all i have is this:

Oh sorry, that separator screenshot was from a NetNewsWire menu.

GGJstudios
Oct 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
To make folders sort before files in Finder:

1. Open Finder and navigate to this path:
2. Right-click on Finder and select "Show Package Contents":
3. In the window that opens, navigate to this path:
4. Right-click on InfoPlist.strings and open with TextEdit:
5. In the line "Folder" = "Folder"; add a space between the open quote and the "F" in the 2nd occurrence of the word "Folder", as shown here:
6. Save and close the file, entering your admin password when prompted.
7. Click  > Force Quit P7
8. Relaunch Finder P8

tkermit
Oct 9, 2009, 11:01 AM
To make folders sort before files in Finder:

1. Open Finder and navigate to this path:
2. Right-click on Finder and select "Show Package Contents":
3. In the window that opens, navigate to this path:
4. Right-click on InfoPlist.strings and open with TextEdit:
5. In the line "Folder" = "Folder"; add a space between the open quote and the "F" in the 2nd occurrence of the word "Folder", as shown here:
6. Save and close the file, entering your admin password when prompted.
7. Click  > Force Quit P7
8. Relaunch Finder P8

Isn't that exactly what the OP claimed to have already tried? (Look at the link he posted). Anyway, as far as I can see, this will only affect sorting by kind, by displaying folders as the very first group there. It does not, however, put folders at the top when you sort by e.g. name.

GGJstudios
Oct 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
Isn't that exactly what the OP claimed to have already tried? (Look at the link he posted). Anyway, as far as I can see, this will only affect sorting by kind, by displaying folders as the very first group there. It does not, however, put folders at the top when you sort by e.g. name.
The procedure I described works. Yes, it does put folders at the top when you sort by name, because the folder names begin with a space. It works.

tkermit
Oct 9, 2009, 12:31 PM
The procedure I described works. Yes, it does put folders at the top when you sort by name, because the folder names begin with a space. It works.

It certainly doesn't look like it. Or how would you explain my attached screenshots ? (taken after I had applied your method)

As I see it, the steps you posted don't change the name of folders, but only the name of the kind label

mysterytramp
Oct 9, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hi!

I really prefer Windows way of sorting a folder, first folders and then files, is there a way to do it in Snow Leopard?

I have done this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=2870134&postcount=1

But that doest work for me in SL, so anyone else got any suggestions?

Thanks!

OS X just doesn't work this way. None of its previous iterations -- and I go back to 1.1g -- has acted like this. The Windows switchers all swear by it. I use XP at work and I've never seen the benefit. To each his own.

Apple may one day change the Finder to do this. If prowl apple.com you'll find the link for offering a suggestion. Until there's a change, your best bet is to rename your folders so that a space precedes the name, so that instead of a folders named "My Files" and "His Files" they would be " My Files" and " His Files."

mt

melroed
Oct 15, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hi- I have been trying the fixes listed here for this "arrange by kind" issue (all of my many pdfs show before my files & folders, since I use Adobe Professional). I would be ok with putting a space before my folder name, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. The folder with the space at the beginning of the title still shows after the pdfs. I downloaded trial of pathfinder but do not want to pay in order to view in another application. I am actually running Leopard 10.5.8, so maybe this is not the best thread to post at but any help would be appreciated.
muchas gracias!

professorjay
Oct 15, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hi- I have been trying the fixes listed here for this "arrange by kind" issue (all of my many pdfs show before my files & folders, since I use Adobe Professional). I would be ok with putting a space before my folder name, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. The folder with the space at the beginning of the title still shows after the pdfs. I downloaded trial of pathfinder but do not want to pay in order to view in another application. I am actually running Leopard 10.5.8, so maybe this is not the best thread to post at but any help would be appreciated.
muchas gracias!

Just sort by name. I name all the folders in my audio file collection w/ a space first and it works.

Otherwise, if you're looking to sort by type and list folders first, try out the 'hack' that other people have done here. From what others have said, that still works for 10.5.X

TheAshMan
Oct 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
This and other shortcomings in Finder keep me from using OS X all the time. Mac OS X has so many great features, but they get lost in these silly issues like this folder sort problem. Folders and files are entirely different objects in the file system and should be treated like such. Folders/directories can contain other items, so they should be at the top. Sorry, but Windows is better with this. I know this is the UNIX underpinning, but for crap's sake, it is an easy fix. Look at Pathfinder and Linux distros that do it.

The Dock, Quick Look, Cover Flow, Spring Loaded folders, Stacks, Folder Actions, and I count Spotlight too, are all great features that would kick the crap out of Windows, but they are dragged down by the lack of completeness of OS X Finder and affiliated functions.

For example, Windows has a smooth file system path navigator at the top of Explorer Windows just like a web browser that makes it easy to see and modify where you are, type the path to complete, autocomplete, very nice, smooth, and responsive. You can right-click any file or folder and choose "Copy As Path" and paste a full path to the object in any application, great for networks and attaching files to emails, etc. In Windows, selecting any object in Windows Explorer shows you metadata at the bottom of the screen that can be very useful.

Finder has a stupid path bar at the bottom that you have to turn on as an option and it has little, and clunky functionality, double-click to change where you are in the system and that is it. No copy/paste function. Much harder to find your files.

OS X is much more pleasing to the eye and sometimes can be fun to use, but the form loses out to the function in Windows. This from a guy who loves OS X and has used it for years and years, imagine how all the switchers feel. I know a few at work who have switched back because of these kinds of issues. Apple should pay attention if they want to keep growing and retain all these new users.

TheAshMan
Oct 15, 2009, 11:16 PM
Sort by last modified, is very easy to use in Windows, because you know exactly where the file will be, right below the folders. In OS X I'm never sure where the heck they will be. I only use Spotlight and Smart Folders which is the better way, but doesn't excuse the poor navigation abilities of the Finder.

1800collect
Dec 24, 2009, 12:30 PM
It certainly doesn't look like it. Or how would you explain my attached screenshots ? (taken after I had applied your method)

As I see it, the steps you posted don't change the name of folders, but only the name of the kind label

You're correct this does not work in Snow Leopard. What it does is it makes the Folders always at the top or bottom if you sort by "Kind" instead of just in the middle. Somewhat helpful, but not what we're looking for when you sort by "Name" and want the folders to come first in alphabetical order followed by all other files in alphabetical folder.

ddenoff
Feb 25, 2010, 07:00 AM
but the File Open/Save dialogues are still a pain

1. there's no 'go up' path or button (.. or cd\ in DOS, the folder with the back arrow in windows) and i don't know the unix command but it's there. So when you go to open or save a file and you want to go back up one or two levels from where you are , the only way it seems is to go ALL the way back to your User directory and then drill back DOWN again, all the while looking for your FOLDERS in between the filenames. yes you can put SOME favorite folders along the nav bar, but what's the problem just having a parent directory nav?? does anyone know how to do THIS better please?

2. I'm a BIG fan of apple and own a bunch of stock - but enough with the arrogance of mac fans urging changing the basic ways of doing business just to adapt to this OS. I've been working on computers since the PDP-10 days (along with Bill & Paul & Steve & Woz) and file structures have ALWAYS been this way...having folders is the APPROPRIATE way to group your files and they ALWAYS should be at the top of the sort - because they are file-structure devices, not subject to an ASCII sort....

ASCII sort is a pain also in that a capital A comes 25 letters before a lower-case 'a' - i have several online bill-pay applications that don't put Allstate with american express, which is STUPID coding since we're often in a non case-sensitive world.

oh, and i DID do the 'fix' suggested on Leopard and it doesn't seem to work except on the highest level directory. and it won't fix the file open/save problem so would appreciate thoughts on THAT (needs to sort folders first AND have a 'up directory' navigation.

thanks

OH - and speaking of 'last modified' HOW do you cause the TIME of a file's modification to appear in finder along with the date (and even though I don't want relative dates, todays' files still say Today. I want date AND TIME please.

tkermit
Feb 25, 2010, 07:44 AM

1. there's no 'go up' path or button (.. or cd\ in DOS, the folder with the back arrow in windows) and i don't know the unix command but it's there. So when you go to open or save a file and you want to go back up one or two levels from where you are , the only way it seems is to go ALL the way back to your User directory and then drill back DOWN again, all the while looking for your FOLDERS in between the filenames. yes you can put SOME favorite folders along the nav bar, but what's the problem just having a parent directory nav?? does anyone know how to do THIS better please?

⌘-↑

2. I'm a BIG fan of apple and own a bunch of stock - but enough with the arrogance of mac fans urging changing the basic ways of doing business just to adapt to this OS. I've been working on computers since the PDP-10 days (along with Bill & Paul & Steve & Woz) and file structures have ALWAYS been this way...having folders is the APPROPRIATE way to group your files and they ALWAYS should be at the top of the sort - because they are file-structure devices, not subject to an ASCII sort....

'it's always been done this way' is not always a good justification for doing something a certain way. The whole folder metaphor seems a little outdated to be honest but people are creatures of habit so change will happen slowly...

OH - and speaking of 'last modified' HOW do you cause the TIME of a file's modification to appear in finder along with the date (and even though I don't want relative dates, todays' files still say Today. I want date AND TIME please.
make the column wider ?

kingtron
Apr 2, 2010, 09:43 AM
Windows Like Sort Files ( Folders First )

1- open terminal
2- paste this into it:

sudo vi /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

3- type in your password
4- type 'a' (this will allow you to edit the file)
5- edit so line 7 looks like this: (add space after "Folder" = ")
"Folder" = " Folder";
6- Press escape
7- type ':w' to write
8-type ':q' to quit
9- Restart finder
10- View-> arrange by Kind

tkermit
Apr 2, 2010, 12:37 PM
Windows Like Sort Files ( Folders First )

1- open terminal
2- paste this into it:

sudo vi /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

3- type in your password
4- type 'a' (this will allow you to edit the file)
5- edit so line 7 looks like this: (add space after "Folder" = ")
"Folder" = " Folder";
6- Press escape
7- type ':w' to write
8-type ':q' to quit
9- Restart finder
10- View-> arrange by Kind

Thanks for the effort (even though these steps have already been posted) ! :)

Windows actually puts folders at the top even when you sort by name, which this won't be able to achieve

Fuzzi
Apr 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
just use total finder, it's great.

uuufo
Apr 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
yes TotalFinder does exactly this and its great!

Detektiv-Pinky
Apr 22, 2010, 02:26 AM
just use total finder, it's great.

One other suggestion would be ForkLift (http://www.binarynights.com/forklift). I am using it as my primary file manager.

Does TotalFinder also work in the Open/Save dialog boxes?

acjohnson55
Oct 20, 2010, 08:48 PM
As a recent Mac convert, I am really disappointed at the lack of flexibility there is in the operating system for things like this. How ***** difficult would it be for Apple to add one more check box in the preference? Or even a hidden option, so as not to clutter up their preferences screen?

The "Apple" way of doing things is not always the best, despite what fanboys would have you believe. Sometimes, there is not best way, just preferences. Mac OS could use a few more preferences.

Say what you will about MS, but Windows 7 has preferences, and it's closer to OS X on usability than any prior version. The one-size-fits-all Apple approach has got to go.

twinda1
Oct 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
Funny, I found this thread because I have the misfortune to use Windows 2003 on a daily basis, and I was trying to make Windows NOT sort folders first. Sorting folders first is broken in so many ways -- it kills me to have to slow down and figure out if I'm looking at file or folder when scanning a list that is in ALPHABETICAL ORDER for ***** sake.

Mac Finder will sort folders first over Steve's dead body...

skybound02
Oct 29, 2010, 09:30 AM
actually following the directions at this link do work in Snow Leopard.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/2870134-post1.html

they just left out a few steps. once you navigate to the "English.lproj" folder, you have to right click on it, and select "Get Info"

at the bottom click the "Sharing & Permissions" triangle to maximize
then click the lock, type in your password if asked
once unlocked, you click the + button to add yourself and make sure you select read & write
then close the window

now find the "InfopPlist.strings"
you must right click, select "Get Info" and update the permissions like you did previously for the folder
once done adding the permissions, close the window

now open the "InfoPlist.strings" file with Text Editor and follow the directions in the previous link about adding a character before "Folder"
once done, save the file

now go back and remove the permissions you added previously to "InfoPlist.strings" and "English.lproj"

now restart your computer, open Finder, select "View as list", and all of your folders will now appear in alphabetical order at the top of your folder followed by all of your files in alphabetical order

hope this makes sense.

turtle777
Dec 14, 2010, 07:37 AM
actually following the directions at this link do work in Snow Leopard.

Dude, DOES NOT WORK.

This does exactly the same as the other tips posted here: it sorts WITHIN the file type ("KIND").

Folders on top sorted alphabetically, then JPG sorted alphabetically, then PDFs sorted alphabetically etc...

It does NOT do what you claim "folders will now appear in alphabetical order at the top of your folder followed by all of your files in alphabetical order".

-t

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2010, 09:44 AM
Dude, DOES NOT WORK.
It's another example of a first-time poster resurrecting a thread to post useless, misleading or plain wrong information. :rolleyes:

tkermit
Dec 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
It's another example of a first-time poster resurrecting a thread to post useless, misleading or plain wrong information. :rolleyes:

How so? He is right. I've not seen one hint posted here, that will actually achieve what the OP asked for, namely having Finder sort the Windows way, folders on top even when sorting alphabetically. That is different from this:
http://grab.by/grabs/5367f983dacb6bb542f06a8c3ccd8362.png

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2010, 09:59 AM
How so? He is right. I've not seen one hint posted here, that will actually achieve what the OP asked for, namely having Finder sort the Windows way, folders on top even when sorting alphabetically. That is different from this:
http://grab.by/grabs/5367f983dacb6bb542f06a8c3ccd8362.png
If you look at the image, the folders are on top, but the files are not sorted alphabetically. The OP wanted "Sort folders first, then files", but the solution posted by skybound02 does not achieve that.

tkermit
Dec 14, 2010, 10:02 AM
If you look at the image, the folders are on top, but the files are not sorted alphabetically. The OP wanted "Sort folders first, then files", but the solution posted by skybound02 does not achieve that.

Exactly :confused:

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2010, 10:03 AM
Exactly :confused:
That's why I made my comment about skybound02's post. You said "How so?" as if you didn't agree. :confused: (I'm still on my first cup of coffee, so it's likely I'm missing something here)

tkermit
Dec 14, 2010, 10:05 AM
That's why I made my comment about skybound02's post. You said "How so?" as if you didn't agree. :confused:

You made a comment about turtle777's post, not skybound02's ?!

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2010, 10:06 AM
You made a comment about turtle777's post, not skybound02's ?!
No, I was agreeing with turtle777's post that skybound02's solution doesn't work, adding my comments about skybound02.

tkermit
Dec 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
No, I was agreeing with turtle777's post that skybound02's solution doesn't work, adding my comments about skybound02.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Interestingly enough turtle777 is also a first-time poster (after almost 7 years). :)

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Interestingly enough turtle777 is also a first-time poster (after almost 7 years). :)
I just now noticed that! The irony! LOL! At this rate, his user title will be a 601 in...... well, about a week after the Earth is no more!

xgman
Dec 14, 2010, 03:11 PM

Default FolderX app. Can't live without it. Also, make sure you show the status bar at the bottom of finder windows that has the full path you can click on to go higher up in the directory path easily.

Hal Itosis
Dec 14, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've not seen one hint posted here, that will actually achieve what the OP asked for, namely having Finder sort the Windows way, folders on top even when sorting alphabetically.

Post #30 (from April 2010) mentioned TotalFinder (http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/). Was that not worthy?

BTW, folders on top is not needed [in dialog windows] anyway... just use the down arrow key to jump from folder to folder. Easy peasy.

turtle777
Dec 14, 2010, 08:06 PM

I know, ain't that something.

I didn't know I never posted here, even though I lurked here a bit.
I'm a regular at MacNN.

At any rate, like it should be clear by now, there is NO easy way to have the Finder sort the Windows way. Period.

The only idea I have is this:

If all folders are assigned a Label, and then the *column* view is sorted by Label, Folders would appear AT THE END. All other items (w/o labels) are sorted alphabetically regardless of KIND.

I suppose you could hack the Finder to change label colors, so that the Folder labels are colorless.
Leaves the problem of those labels being sorted AFTER all documents w/o label.

If you can't follow, nevermind. i'm just rambling :)

-t

turtle777
Dec 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #30 (from April 2010) mentioned TotalFinder (http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/). Was that not worthy?

BTW, folders on top is not needed [in dialog windows] anyway... just use the down arrow key to jump from folder to folder. Easy peasy.

This is probably the closest thing, albeit, not a free hack.

Do you have any experience re: stability of TotalFinder ?

-t

qwimjim
Mar 1, 2011, 01:14 PM
i did the edit of InfoPlist.strings but nothing changed, closed finder and relaunched, restarted computer, if i sort by kind folders still don't end up at the top.. any ideas anyone?

GGJstudios
Mar 1, 2011, 01:22 PM
i did the edit of InfoPlist.strings but nothing changed, closed finder and relaunched, restarted computer, if i sort by kind folders still don't end up at the top.. any ideas anyone?
If you read the thread, you'll find it can't be done in Finder.

qwimjim
Mar 1, 2011, 01:49 PM
If you read the thread, you'll find it can't be done in Finder.

what can't be done in finder, having folders sort above all else when sorted by kind? the method described in this thread seems to have worked for people, so i'm not sure what you mean by your statement. i have edited the file, there has been no change, there has been a change for others.. anyone know why?

GGJstudios
Mar 1, 2011, 02:19 PM
what can't be done in finder, having folders sort above all else when sorted by kind? the method described in this thread seems to have worked for people, so i'm not sure what you mean by your statement. i have edited the file, there has been no change, there has been a change for others.. anyone know why?
If you follow the instructions in post #16 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8617581#post8617581) exactly, yes, folders will sort at the top when sorting by Kind. The issue in the thread is having folders sort at the top when sorting by Name, not Kind, which can't be done in Finder.

qwimjim
Mar 1, 2011, 03:07 PM
If you follow the instructions in post #16 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8617581#post8617581) exactly, yes, folders will sort at the top when sorting by Kind. The issue in the thread is having folders sort at the top when sorting by Name, not Kind, which can't be done in Finder.

I followed the instructions, and I know the difference between sorting by kind and by name. I made the edit and nothing has changed, my folders still appear after .avi and .doc files when finder is in list mode set to sort by KIND.

GGJstudios
Mar 1, 2011, 03:19 PM
I followed the instructions, and I know the difference between sorting by kind and by name. I made the edit and nothing has changed, my folders still appear after .avi and .doc files when finder is in list mode set to sort by KIND.
Have you tried rebooting? And did you verify the insertion of the space before "Finder"?

qwimjim
Mar 1, 2011, 05:53 PM
Have you tried rebooting? And did you verify the insertion of the space before "Finder"?

Yup rebooted, i don't get it. Tried on two computers too..

Hanspl
Sep 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
Boy, am I late. And new. And tired. But since a suggested solution (even though it did not seem to work) was to add a space before folder names, how would that work if you wanted to sort by date (with folders on top and then files)?

Hans L

buldir
Oct 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
You have to move "Folders" to the top of the Spotlight search results list in Spotlight's preferences. Then, arrange by kind in the Finder.

GGJstudios
Oct 11, 2013, 03:14 PM
You have to move "Folders" to the top of the Spotlight search results list in Spotlight's preferences. Then, arrange by kind in the Finder.

The Spotlight preferences have nothing to do with Finder sorting. Your suggestion doesn't address the topic of this thread.

buldir
Oct 11, 2013, 11:40 PM
The Spotlight preferences have nothing to do with Finder sorting. Your suggestion doesn't address the topic of this thread.

My apologies. My suggestion works in Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Not sure about Snow Leopard. Try it.

GGJstudios
Oct 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
My apologies. My suggestion works in Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Not sure about Snow Leopard. Try it.

No, it doesn't work in Mountain Lion or Mavericks, either. You're not understanding the topic of this thread, which is having folders sort before files in Finder. It has nothing to do with Spotlight search preferences or arranging by Kind in Finder. The intent is to sort by name when viewing the contents of a folder in Finder, but have subfolders appear at the top in alphabetical order, followed by files in alphabetical order, as it does in Windows Explorer. Your suggestion will not achieve that in any version of OS X.

barkmonster
Oct 12, 2013, 01:01 PM
No, it doesn't work in Mountain Lion or Mavericks, either. You're not understanding the topic of this thread, which is having folders sort before files in Finder. It has nothing to do with Spotlight search preferences or arranging by Kind in Finder. The intent is to sort by name when viewing the contents of a folder in Finder, but have subfolders appear at the top in alphabetical order, followed by files in alphabetical order, as it does in Windows Explorer. Your suggestion will not achieve that in any version of OS X.

You could add a bullet point to the folder names using ALT+8 and they'll appear at the top the way you want them too. They'd be renamed obviously but unless they were system files, it's a work around. I can't understand wanting the unintuitive way Windows lists them that way whether you want folders first or not to start with but each to their own.

buldir
Oct 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
I understand the topic and the intent. What I'm suggesting, is trying something seemingly unrelated to arrive at a solution.

In Mavericks, which I already have installed as a developer, I can move the file categories around in the Spotlight Preferences and, if the Finder is set to "Arrange by Kind" then "Sort by Name" (you can do both), I can literally see groups of files and folders rearranging themselves, in real time, in the Finder.

I tested this technique further in Mountain Lion. Make your desired arrangements in Spotlight Preferences, you might have to relaunch the Finder (Option Right-click on the Finder in the dock and choose "Relaunch"). In the Finder, click on View in the menubar, choose "Arrange by Kind," then hold down Option, click on View in the menubar, choose "Sort by Name."

Before saying this won't or doesn't work, I'm asking you to test my theory. Try it and give feedback.

Joseph Farrugia
Oct 20, 2013, 05:26 AM
XtraFinder (http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/) does this and much more.

Still a free app. A big thanks to the author; he doesn't ask for money, I couldn't even find a Paypal donation link; however there is an email link should one decide to go that route.

Knockoutdoc
Feb 24, 2014, 08:09 PM
arrange by none, sort (press alt) by kind works for me.

all part of the native finder view preferences in OSX