PDA

View Full Version : Help pick my new career

Inkmonkey
Jul 6, 2004, 12:21 PM
So I recently found out that they are closing my department at work. In 6 months I will be unemployed. Not the end of the world since I rather dislike this job and they are offering me a fair severance package.

I am now left with the task of figuring out what I would like to do. I could use the severance to go back to school or use it as a buffer while looking for a new job. Could also use it to start a small business.

Just a little about myself: I'm 32, my current job is in telecommunications, and I work part-time as a cartoonist (mostly doing cartoon strips). It by far does not pay the bills but I love doing it. I love most anything where I am able to create something with my hands.

Just wondering what some of you might do given this opportunity? Or maybe you have gone through something similiar and have some advice? Or maybe you know of a killer career or idea that's worth looking into?

JesseJames
Jul 6, 2004, 12:46 PM
I think it really depends on your hearts desire. Married? Have kids? Then you have to think about them of course.

Inkmonkey
Jul 6, 2004, 01:54 PM
I think it really depends on your hearts desire. Married? Have kids? Then you have to think about them of course.

Married. No kids.
She's very supportive and wants me to do whatever makes me happy.

scem0
Jul 6, 2004, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing you didn't like the telecommunications job because you didn't get to really exercise your creative abilities (among other things, I'm sure).

And I'd guess your a pretty creatively inclined person based on your hobby as a cartoonist.

I'd try to find a job that mixes both computers and creativity. Graphics designer, multimedia designer, etc. You could make some badass animations using flash. You could make decent money being a free-lance multimedia designer, and have fun doing it.

The hopefully helpful 2 cents of a 17 year old who has never had a real job.

scem0

JesseJames
Jul 6, 2004, 02:23 PM
Maybe you should look into the broadcasting business. I don't know how you feel about working with cameras and video equipment. Get a job at the local TV station.
Then again, what happens up in Calgary anyway? Moose in traffic? ;)

PlaceofDis
Jul 6, 2004, 02:33 PM
well since your out of a job and love being a cartoonist, why not, while you are trying to figure something out, or what you want to do, try and sell some of your cartoons/animations or whatever you have? just an idea, i dont know how feesible it would be....or you could try and get a job at a studio doing animation?

Inkmonkey
Jul 6, 2004, 02:46 PM
I'm guessing you didn't like the telecommunications job because you didn't get to really exercise your creative abilities (among other things, I'm sure).

Exactly correct. That, and it's damn boring.

And I'd guess your a pretty creatively inclined person based on your hobby as a cartoonist.

I'd try to find a job that mixes both computers and creativity. Graphics designer, multimedia designer, etc. You could make some badass animations using flash. You could make decent money being a free-lance multimedia designer, and have fun doing it.

I do like the sounds of creating Flash animations and multimedia. I just don't have much experience with either. Might have to search for some schools you can learn me.

The hopefully helpful 2 cents of a 17 year old who has never had a real job.

scem0

Thanks kiddo. ;)

Inkmonkey
Jul 6, 2004, 02:48 PM
Maybe you should look into the broadcasting business. I don't know how you feel about working with cameras and video equipment. Get a job at the local TV station.
Then again, what happens up in Calgary anyway? Moose in traffic? ;)
Sometimes igloos melt and create a flood. But that's pretty rare.

Inkmonkey
Jul 6, 2004, 02:50 PM
well since your out of a job and love being a cartoonist, why not, while you are trying to figure something out, or what you want to do, try and sell some of your cartoons/animations or whatever you have? just an idea, i dont know how feesible it would be....or you could try and get a job at a studio doing animation?

I would love to do this. I'm just not sure where the markets are for freelance cartoonists.
Would you like to buy a cartoon? Because it's you, I'll cut you a deal.