PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G4 466 constantly freezes !!!

edonomicus
Jul 6, 2004, 01:01 PM
Hello everybody,

I really need help with my PowerMac. It is G4 model (Digital Audio) on 466 MHz with 1 GB of RAM (1x 512 / 2x 256 all of them CL3)
The way of freezing is really weird. It can work 1-2 days without any problems and then out of a blue it starts to freeze. And when it starts it won't stop. Interesting thing is that the system works in a background (system clock) but you can't move the mouse cursor or type anything on a keyboard. Also, when it begins with freezing the mouse cursor goes a little bit then stops for a few seconds then goes further then stops again and so on. Then after a few minutes of agony it freezes for good and I have to restart it.
I tried everything. Changed RAM, mouse, keyboard, reinstalled the system, reseted PRAM, updated Firmware, checked for overheating, turned of all the extensions, made a clean reinstall but nothing helped.

Does anybody know what the problem could be ???

Thank you for your time...

Coca-Cola
Jul 6, 2004, 06:26 PM
I have the same problem with my iMac 400 SE. I think it has to do with my use of airport card/base station for powerbook. After streaming to my powerbook all day it will freeze. Just every once in a while. Very wierd.

gorman
Jul 6, 2004, 06:39 PM
I have that exact problem as well. It always happens when I am pushing a high rate of data through the Airport card in my Powerbook. I'd really love to hear a solution to this!

frescies
Jul 6, 2004, 11:35 PM
Hello everybody,

I really need help with my PowerMac. It is G4 model (Digital Audio) on 466 MHz with 1 GB of RAM (1x 512 / 2x 256 all of them CL3)
The way of freezing is really weird. It can work 1-2 days without any problems and then out of a blue it starts to freeze. And when it starts it won't stop. Interesting thing is that the system works in a background (system clock) but you can't move the mouse cursor or type anything on a keyboard. Also, when it begins with freezing the mouse cursor goes a little bit then stops for a few seconds then goes further then stops again and so on. Then after a few minutes of agony it freezes for good and I have to restart it.
I tried everything. Changed RAM, mouse, keyboard, reinstalled the system, reseted PRAM, updated Firmware, checked for overheating, turned of all the extensions, made a clean reinstall but nothing helped.

Does anybody know what the problem could be ???

Thank you for your time...

Changed RAM ey???

Hmmm.....

I'd still run memtest on it. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17156. Best memory tester in the world, but so far you have to run it from the terminal.

NOTE: DO NOT forget to start into "SAFE BOOT" (by holding shift at startup) before you run this program... bad things happen if you dont