Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrainTuba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Long time lurker, first time poster... Macintosh lifer back to our first Mac Plus in the mid 80's.

Anyway, I'm a guy who has been surrounded by people with 1G and 2G Touches for 1-2 years now and I've been avoiding buying one due to capacity limitations. I'm a bit of an audiophile and my music library (mostly live) is over 90 GB.

I've been waiting for the 64 GB to jump into the Touch world. So like many others I've been reading (and getting psyched about) all the rumors surrounding the possibility of still/video camera, and GPS. But honestly, the lack of either doesn't change my opinion at all. This is the way I see it:

- Apple doubled the capacity and increased processing speed by upwards of 50%
- The camera that wasn't included would have been a crap camera anyway... even if I took photos or video with it, they would suck in quality and I'd wish I used my digital cameras in the first place
- GPS would have been nice for the apps it would open the device up to, but really not a big deal... I've already got a Garmin for my vehicle.

So in summary, Apple doubles the capacity and makes the device much faster (not to mention with guts that could allow them to enable wireless N and FM transmitting in the future) and keeps the price point the same, and people complain about not having a crappy camera included. I just don't get it... I'll be off next week to grab my 64 GB (when they are in at Costco) and won't look back.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Sorry, but that was more than 2 cents. Please send $500 to me as the penalty for stating the obvious with far too many words.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
You're exactly who Apple is marketing to: people new to the iPod touch. And the "new" touch is great for people who has not owned a previous generation. But if someone already has one, this touch is not a good upgrade and not a wise purchase. That's why people are angry and disappointed.

akutad

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
You're exactly who Apple is marketing to: people new to the iPod touch. And the "new" touch is great for people who has not owned a previous generation. But if someone already has one, this touch is not a good upgrade and not a wise purchase. That's why people are angry and disappointed.

Disappointed is one thing. Angry?!? Really people... it's just a electronic item. Get a life and get over it.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Says the person reading and writing on a website dedicated to these electronic items. :rolleyes:

Just because it doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people on here. I'm sure there are things that you care about that other people find ridiculous.

Miko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Sure it was a nice upgrade for you because you need the 64gb. Most people do not need all this space and an un-necessary little speed boost doesn't cut it for me.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

+1,000,000!!!!

(what he said, is my opinion)

OP, you may be "new" but some "old" ipod touch users, sometimes would like change!

BrainTuba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
OP, you may be "new" but some "old" ipod touch users, sometimes would like change!

I get the desire for change, but seriously... would the inclusion of a cell phone quality camera in the new ipod touch satisfy that desire?

Catch-22

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Disappointed is one thing. Angry?!? Really people... it's just a electronic item. Get a life and get over it.

Apple fans have come to expect more and more each year from Apple. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those fans were a bit angry at Apple for disappointing them.

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Apple fans have come to expect more and more each year from Apple. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those fans were a bit angry at Apple for disappointing them.

Angry at Apple for disappointing me by keeping my 8GB 2G current? I don't think so. Now I can spend the Apple upgrade tax on something much more important.

pacers721

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008

lol, we all know the minimal affects "electronic items" have on our lives

+1,000,000!!!!

(what he said, is my opinion)

+1,000,001

i agree. And whats funny to me about this update is that I feel like three years ago, upgrading the processor of an mp3 player wouldn't even be news. I'm glad they lowered the prices, but I still think they're too high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.