PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer files from old iBook to new Macbk Pro

mpqtpie
Sep 11, 2009, 08:27 PM
I just got a new 15" Macbook Pro to replace my old iBook G4 and want to transfer information to the new one. The Migration Assistant says I have a few options and I am deciding between these two:
1. Transfer info from another Mac
2. Transfer info from a Time Machine backup

Which would offer the most flexibility so I don't transfer too much? I'd like to start fresh but need my photos, internet files, etc. My last time machine backup was yesterday so it's pretty up to date, but I'm worried it will transfer too much crap since it backs up the whole drive.

Any advice asap would be great! I have to decide soon. My new sparkling computer is sitting unused while I try to figure this out.

iBookG4user
Sep 11, 2009, 08:33 PM
Both of the modes that you mentioned would setup your new Mac almost identically to your iBook. If you want to transfer just a few files, setup your Mac up without transferring the data. Then once you have it setup as a new Mac, boot your iBook into Target Disk Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661) and transfer over the files you need. If you're transferring a lot of files, a better solution would be to use the Time Machine Backup and then get rid of anything that you don't need.

mpqtpie
Sep 11, 2009, 09:27 PM
So I tried the time capsule backup option and it is stuck on the screen "Checking Time Machine backup..." for like 15 minutes now. I tried escaping and even ctrl+alt+esc, but it isn't doing anything. I would hate to just shut it off with the power button, but it seems to be stuck looking for the backup. I'm going to wait another few minutes, then I'm seriously thinking of just trying the mac to mac option instead.