PDA

View Full Version : Adding new HDD to G4 iBook?

Gohan
Jul 6, 2004, 02:25 PM
Just upgraded the HDD in my other laptop so I have a spare 60gig 5400rpm drive which I would like to put in my iBook to replace the standard 30gig.

Is it and easy thing to do or a bit of a nightmare?

I donít mind having it apart at all but some sort of guide would be helpful.

Thanks.

slowtreme
Jul 6, 2004, 02:29 PM
It's a giant pain in the ass, I did it.

This link was very helpful, if anything it just let me know how many more steps I had to get to the drive. http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/

latergator116
Jul 6, 2004, 02:33 PM
Like slowtreme said, it is a pain, and it will void your warranty.

Gohan
Jul 6, 2004, 10:58 PM
Does look like a pain to do, but this 30gig is getting to small so it needs to be done.

Thanks for the link :)

gallagb
Jul 6, 2004, 11:16 PM
it is sorta a pain - however i've done it 8 or 10 times with three or four different 12" ibook G3 and G4's

follow the guide already posted - there are others available -just google 'upgrade ibook hard drive' or something

words of advice:
*really clear off your work space and the area around it- little screws can be hard to find if they fall
* there are different sizes of 'little' screws- try to keep track of what went where...etc- label them w/ a pen and what not?- i used to put different sizes on different plates/cups and put a label on the plate...etc
* relax first- this will take you about 2 hrs the first time
* well lit area
* magnetic screw driver can make it a bit easier
* close the windows first! turn off fans...etc - blowing around screws- not a good idea-
*the torx #8 driver can be purchased @ most hard ware stores- just ask for it- (no need to spend $15 or whatever buying it online)

really above all- slow down- don't rush it- and look @ how cool the stuff is inside your machine! this is your baby!

Mord
Jul 7, 2004, 07:00 PM
print out pictures from the guide and lay them out flat so you can place the screws on the picture where they go this way you shouldent end up with extra screws at the end which many people have done

yes it is a pain but nowhere near the pain of having to take it out and replace it with the original drive when you need to have the logic board replaced (like i had to do)