PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mic is in imacs?

ideallyman
Sep 11, 2009, 11:07 PM
I'm trying to find some information about what kind of
microphone is built into apple imacs.

It's either a condenser, lavaliere or possibly one comparable
to those tiny capsule microphones sold for ipods.

Regardless I'm totally clueless as internet searching has led me
astray.

I've just got to find an external version of this mic!

Any help would be appreciated greatly, for the love of god.

synth3tik
Sep 11, 2009, 11:15 PM
The internal mics are really really cheap. I couldn't give you a model number. I just don't know why you would want an external version of the mic when you can buy a better mic at even Best Buy.

ideallyman
Sep 11, 2009, 11:26 PM
Maybe it's a electret microphone...?

I need this microphone for recording vocals for my computer band.

zimv20
Sep 12, 2009, 12:58 AM
I've just got to find an external version of this mic!

in god's name, why?

salientstimulus
Sep 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's a electret microphone...?

I need this microphone for recording vocals for my computer band.

Hi - not sure why you would want/need/tolerate this microphone for recording anything whatsoever. I'm guessing you already have vocals recorded this way that you need to match for some reason? If so, you should borrow an imac -- just having the same microphone won't reproduce the tone, because the acoustics of the case come into play.

If you just want to have a very 'lo-fi' sound, you can always use a non-crappy microphone and add effects afterwards (scoop the EQ, bitcrushing, etc). Or perhaps a cheap Skype headset from Radio Shack would work (maybe drop it out a window or dunk it in the bathtub first).

zimv20
Sep 12, 2009, 10:56 AM
(maybe drop it out a window or dunk it in the bathtub first).

my first laugh of the day. thanks!

ideallyman
Sep 12, 2009, 01:35 PM
Alright~

It's reasonable to assume the mic is omnidirectional and that small mics
usually have a frequency range typical of - 50-15,000 cycles.

Believe it or not this built-in mic has some great advantages for a
vocalist such as practically zero proximity effect and an open natural sound that's equal from all directions.

Thanks for your comments.
Now I just need to find a similar mic.

zimv20
Sep 12, 2009, 02:17 PM
Believe it or not this built-in mic has some great advantages for a
vocalist such as practically zero proximity effect
i would also guess that the built-in mic is omni, and like all omnis, you are correct that there's no proximity effect.

you don't state a budget, but i'll suggest you check out the Avenson STO-2 (http://www.avensonaudio.com/sto2.php). it's a matched stereo pair of small diaphragm omni condensers. i love mine (sample of concert i recorded here (http://www.boxsetauthentic.com/Music/misc/Jecklin%20Samples%20060130.mp3)) and when one went south, Brad replaced it for free (and even matched it to my working one).

i think they're in the $500-550 range, for the pair.

ideallyman
Sep 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
Wow, yes the Avenson STO-2 seems to record a very wide spectrum, unfortunately the cost is way beyond my budget.

I like Anhedonia 060722 song though.

Difficult thing about buying microphones is the inability to find
audio examples.

http://www.macjams.com/artist/koike

zimv20
Sep 12, 2009, 04:32 PM
Wow, yes the Avenson STO-2 seems to record a very wide spectrum, unfortunately the cost is way beyond my budget.
yeah, i've gotten some nice sounds with them. sorry, i don't know any budget omnis to recommend.

I like Anhedonia 060722 song though.

yikes -- july 2006 is about the last time i listened to that rough. i did the final mix a couple years ago (still unreleased).

FX120
Sep 12, 2009, 11:19 PM
Take your pick:
http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Microphones/_/N-wp8f?P=1z0z2qw

Be prepared however, you're going to need to supply a capsule like the ones listed with a bias voltage, which will require a little bit of work hacking up a driver circuit that is clean enough to use for vocal work.

akdj
Sep 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
The Shure SM58 is tough to beat, Beta head if you can afford it. I belive they even make one with a USB insert.

Otherwise, a decent USB/FW I/O (Edirol, Digi, even Behringer makes 'em, Audio Genies, whatever)....and you are set! Many huge vocalists still do their vocals through '58s to this day....plus, you can use them as a hammer on the back line if you forget yours;)

Maybe even spring for a nice little 4-6 channel mixer from Mackie, Allen and Heath, even a Behringer:)...This will add lotsa flexibility, unless, of course, the earlier suggestion (USB/FW box) is practical...it will also function (within your software like Logic) as a mixer/compressor/EQ, etc. Lotsa flexibility to be had. It's a good time to be getting in to digital recording. Not many pennies to sound good....but for Our Creator's Sake...Do NOT utilize the internal mic for anything but Skype and your kid talking to Grandma;)

PS...Not EVEN for effect! it's Not Good!
J

akdj
Sep 15, 2009, 07:38 PM
Like this

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_sm58-x2u_content

Take care...Happy Vocalizing

BTW...58's will Mic anything instruments, vocals, even drums in a pinch! They're indestructable as well (Hammer comment)

J

Mattaut
Sep 17, 2009, 11:04 AM
If he's looking for the sound of an omni condenser mic I don't think a 58(cardioid moving coil mic) would be a good idea. Most vocal recordings are not done on 58s, they are done on condenser mics. Most LIVE vocals are on 58s though, the fact that they are indestructible is part of the reason why. Of course there's always the chance he might like the sound a 58gets him, but if you are specifically looking for an omni condenser a 58 is not one of those.

hakukani
Sep 17, 2009, 01:57 PM
Most lavalier microphones are omnidirectional. You might look at them.

ChrisA
Sep 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
This video gives instructions for converting a Shure SM58 into a mic that sounds much like the iMac's built in microphone. Although they used am SM58 I'm sure the procedure could be applied to any mic. This video shows two engineers performing multiple tests of their procedure

http://svconline.com/video/shure-microphones-drop-test-0428/