Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I've been reading a book Practical UNIX & Internet Security. Reading this has opened my eyes to a few things and after a recent login goof gave my Dell using roommate admin access to my beloved Mac, I decided to turn off admin access to all accounts that had it previously and create a specific "Admin" user account (now with a much stronger password). Now that I have, I was wondering if there is any way I could change the preferences so that the Admin user name does not show up on the login list? Is it possible maybe to do it through the terminal? Is it possible at all?

I know you can have the option of just having a blank 'name' and 'password' field for the login screen, but I'd still like to have the name and Icon appear so guests can just click on the right user name to get the appropriate access.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Admin account? What admin account?

therevolution said:

Thanks man! I had a look at the script and it was much more than I needed. The admin account I set up is basically empty so I just changed the UID using Netinfo Manager. Just to be safe though I made a backup admin account before mucking with the main admin account, but it seems to have worked with no ill effects.

Again thanks for finding me that link! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.