Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheInfrequent1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Hi everyone! Long time lingerer, first time poster...

I have been working for a company, 'something' trading limited, for almost 2 years. They have 'something'-trading.co.uk as their site in the uk. Basically they have traders that go out and direct sell their stuff to customers.

I'm about to leave the company for another job and have purchased 'something'-trader.co.uk with the intention of selling email addresses with this domain to the traders. At the moment they tend to have generic hotmail or gmail accounts. I'm hoping that they will jump at the chance to seem more professional.

Anyway - I'm just wanting to ask if anyone knows of any problem doing this... I can't think of any reason why thier would be, but are thier any legal issues?

Thanks in advance!

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I Can't think of any issues with it - as longs there isn't any type of clause in your contract that prohibits you from interacting with the 'traders'.

Have you considered consulting your boss? Or are you thinking they will just steal your idea and steal your chance to make some extra cash?

Maybe consult a lawyer just in case?

Sorry - I'm not that hot on these things myself - good luck with it!

/Doug

TheInfrequent1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Hi everyone... Just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on this before I make my move?

Thanks all!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Why wouldn't they just use their own domain for email? Am I missing something?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
just my 2 cents.......you might have an issue because you've picked a name that's confusingly like the name of the original company that prob owns some sort of trademark on the name

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
just my 2 cents.......you might have an issue because you've picked a name that's confusingly like the name of the original company that prob owns some sort of trademark on the name

Only other question I would have is if you registered the url during work hours and at the office? If so, I would imagine this could impact something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.