Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisjg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
The reason I've titled this 'Printer for Students' is because, as a student, I do a LOT of printing and so buying a printer that will endure the years of printing throughout my course and also purchasing replacement ink is a continual issue.

So far I've used both a Canon Ip8500 and an Ip4500 with mixed opinions. When I bought the Ip4500 I didn't realise that the cartridges come chipped so you can only use their own brand of ink which, for a student, aint cheap.

So my question is what printer would you recommend purchasing based on...
*how easy it is to buy new cartridges?
*how good the quality of printing is?
*does it print CD/DVD's?
and any other factors that make a printer worth buying.

Any help would be much appreciated.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have no experience with Canon printers. I have an Epson R1800 and I've considered a number of times to buy a continuos ink system (CIS). This is not to be confused with ink refills or off-brand cartridge replacement. I would look into that for the Canon. The brand of choice is usually Lyson.

chrisjg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
I've actually bought and tried fitting a CISS to both my printers which turned out to be an absolute nightmare. I found it incredibly difficult to set up and ended up wasting about the same money as it would cost me to by a new printer.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
One fact about inkjet printing is that no matter who makes the ink, it'll be expensive and best results will come from first-party replacements. Case in point - refilling the Epson 4880 at work costs nearly £500. My Canon at home costs about £40-50.

As such, my recommendation is to go for quality and features over ink costs, as they all cost a bloody fortune to run. I'd look for a printer that has a separate black ink cartridge for photos and plain text (something I know some Canons do), as well as things like CD/DVD printing.

Other things that can be useful includes WiFi (less wires, printer doesn't have to be next to the computer), card readers and duplex printing.

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC
i highly recommend getting a laster printer for all of your B&W needs and keep one of your canon's only for when you need it. I had a $100 HP laser printer in college and it was great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.