Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccerfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
In evaluating the

I'm concerned about the video chip. I know in the 15" PB the chip is much better, but what about in the 12"??

It's listed as:

iBook:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory

12" PowerBook
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go5200 (64MB DDR)

What's the story on the difference between these? Obviously you have the extra 32MB, but what does that mean in real terms? And what about the ATI vs. the NVIDIA?

Thanks for any help on this!!

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
well ati and nvidia are different brands.what do u intend to do with ur notebook?if u want superior graphics power u might want to opt out to the one with the highest memory, in this case the pb.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
If your just surfing the web, chatting with freinds, and typing essays and stuff like that you don't need a PB, you'll be fine with an iBook. BUT, if you are planning on gaming with your laptop, i would highly suggest you go with the PB. If your a hardcore gamer get and iBook and an xbox because the PB and iBook are not made spicifically for gaming. Sure you could run Halo on the PB, but it won't look too much like the xbox version, or atleast in my experience. But if it's simple every day use your doing, get an iBook.

dudewheresmymac

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
well if you want to upgrade to tiger in the near future and want to be able to get all the cool eye candy then you are gonna want to get the pb cuz the Nvida is the only card that can handal all the features of core video and core image

soccerfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
I'm not planning to do any gaming, but at this point it seems like a 12" PB is a better deal than a 14" iBook unless you're really hung up on the screen size issue.

I'm just trying to figure out what the deal with the graphic cards is - which is superior... It sounds like the PB has a better one...

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Without a doubt the graphics card in the PB is superior to the one in the iBook. I would say go for the PB because it's an amazing machine that will suite all your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.