Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColoradoCruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Hi -

I have a Vista media center pc that I would like to move into a closet, but continue to record off-air tv.

I want to replace it with my Mac Mini, but the missing piece is how to access the recorded tv on the Vista box.

I've spent the last couple of days searching and reading, but haven't seen any way to accomplish this.

From another Windows box it's easy to get to the video, I just can't figure out how to do it with the mac.

I'm not interested in recoding the video, if that's necessary I'll leave both computers attached to the tv.

Is there a relatively simple way to make a Mac act as a MC extender?

Thanks!

ColoradoCruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
So you want to access your files in Windows PC? In that case you need NTFS 3G so you can read NTFS formatted HD in OS X

What I want to do is have the Visya box continue recording tv via media center, but I want to play back the recordings on the Mac in OS X without the tedium of recoding the video.

Seems like there should be an easy solution to this one, but I haven't been able to find it.

ColoradoCruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I believe you're going to need to install Windows on the Mac mini to be an extender from the Vista machine as host.

I thought about that, but I want the mini to stay in OS X. If it's too much of a pain I'll just leave the vista box attached to the tv and put the mini next to it and use each for different purposes.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I have a Vista media center pc that I would like to move into a closet, but continue to record off-air tv.

I want to replace it with my Mac Mini, but the missing piece is how to access the recorded tv on the Vista box.

You can easily mount a Windows share on your Mac via SMB. This gets you file level access to all your Vista recordings on your Mac. That's an easy part.

The next thing you need is a OS-X media player that understands the Vista Media Center recorded TV format - MS-DVR. As far as I know, your only Mac OS option is mplayer. I have never tried it, but give it a shot.

But to be honest - your whole setup with Vista/Mini is pretty cumbersome. Ditch the Vista box. Invest in Eye TV and HD HomeRun. This way you have a fully integrated Mac-based DVR solution, without the pains of SMB shares and MS-DVR playback.

ColoradoCruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
But to be honest - your whole setup with Vista/Mini is pretty cumbersome. Ditch the Vista box. Invest in Eye TV and HD HomeRun. This way you have a fully integrated Mac-based DVR solution, without the pains of SMB shares and MS-DVR playback.

Thanks for the pointer to MPlayer, I'll check it out. As it stands, the Win box is fully functional for the HTPC role - I'm just trying to figure out a migration strategy towards OS X and I have an extra 2009 Mini sitting here. Spending more isn't an option at this time, I'm trying to use what I already have - otherwise I wouldn't even be asking, I'd just add a couple of tuners to the mini.

The Win box is actually running Windows 7, so I am hoping to take advantage of the upgraded streaming capabilities to stream live and recorded tv to the mac.

The ideal solution would be software that lets the mini act as an extender but I doubt such a thing exists,

ColoradoCruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Another thought that I had is to use Parallels Desktop (which I already own) and create a clean Vista or Win7 virtual machine. If it's running in coherence mode it should be transparent, and surprisingly the mini has enough horsepower to do this since I upgraded it to 4gigs of ram.

Not an ideal solution, but workable. Obviously I'd prefer native OS X software though.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Another thought that I had is to use Parallels Desktop (which I already own) and create a clean Vista or Win7 virtual machine. If it's running in coherence mode it should be transparent, and surprisingly the mini has enough horsepower to do this since I upgraded it to 4gigs of ram.

Not an ideal solution, but workable. Obviously I'd prefer native OS X software though.
Give it a try. I'd test the video playback first before committing.

I have no clue why everyone else seems to think you need some sort of SMB antics. Extender support is limited to Windows and a few other devices.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA

Been a while since I touched Windows Media Center.. but I am pretty sure there is no such thing as a software WMC extender (a.k.a. SoftSled), even on Windows.

So I don't see how running a Windows VM on your Mini helps your situation.

ColoradoCruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
So I don't see how running a Windows VM on your Mini helps your situation.

I can point WMC to the shared folder where tv is recorded, and play it from there.

I did just discover that VLC on OS X can play the ms-dvr files, but there was an occasional stutter. I'll have to investigate VLC a bit more also.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
I can point WMC to the shared folder where tv is recorded, and play it from there.

I did just discover that VLC on OS X can play the ms-dvr files, but there was an occasional stutter. I'll have to investigate VLC a bit more also.

I think Windows Media Centre isn't a bad platform but it does assume you're going Microsoft (or microsoft supported hardware extenders) all the way.

Personally I just use a NAS box (which you could use your windows machine as anyway) and do my media centre stuff via a Mac Mini running plex. Plex might not be what you want, but I think one way or the other you'll get nothing but hassle if you try and use a combined solution vs. a dedicated one way or the other one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.