PDA

View Full Version : BTO powerbook

puckhead193
Jul 6, 2004, 10:30 PM
I might (*might being the key word) buy a pbook this week. The thing is i need it by sunday for this summer seasion at college. I don't think i can order a BTO 12" or 15" pbook and have it ready by sat. night....
The 12 the only thing i can upgrade is the ram, not a big deal to do, and the hard drive. If i get the standard HD, can i upgrade it later through apple so it won't void my warrenty?
the 15" i would get the 1.5GHz w/ super drive. i would add more ram Do you think apple will have in stock the upgrade video memory (128)?
Is there a big diffence between the 80 gig 4200rpm and 80 gig 5400rpm HD on the 15"?
Thanks for your help!

jsw
Jul 6, 2004, 10:43 PM
You're likely out of luck if you need it by Sunday, but you probably would be better off to get what you need long-term than rush a purchase and get something less than what you want.

Some simple answers:

You cannot upgrade the HD "officially". Doing so will void your warranty, no matter who does it. On the other hand, if you're reasonably handy, there are many web sites to show you how to do so.

You can update RAM easily - but buy it elsewhere than Apple as long as you verify it's correct for your PB - but AFAIK you cannot upgrade the VRAM. Sorry!

The 5400 RPM drive has been reviewed as noticeably snappier than the 4200. A 7200 is even better, but, for now, that's only available in void-your-warranty-and-do-it-yourself fashion.

Good luck with your decision!