Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k4show

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Most of the time, where I am at I can get wifi. I want to get a 32gb 3G Touch. Is it possible to use it as a wifi phone?

Thanks

k4show

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Okay sounds good. Will the headphone/mic combo that comes with it work well for skype?

k4show

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Fantastic, are the headphones that come with it, in-ear or the regular bud style?

McCready00

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
There's also a little microphone that just hooks into the headphone port here:
http://www.amazon.com/Price-CablesToBuy-Microphone-iPhone-classic/dp/B00277EMQ2/ref=pd_sim_cps_3

It works on the iPod touch 2G and higher, and you could use it for a hands free speaker phone (no headphones needed).

It's also only $5, $15 off the normal price.

well that is nice, but do you hear the person you are speaking with?
(I don't own the itouch yet, planning to buy it on tuesday!)

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area
well that is nice, but do you hear the person you are speaking with?
(I don't own the itouch yet, planning to buy it on tuesday!)

You here the other person via the built in speaker, kind of like a speakerphone.

I, too, might be buying a 32 GB iPod touch 3G on Tuesday. I tried it out in the store today, and it is really, really fast. Easily twice as fast as the older version.

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
You here the other person via the built in speaker, kind of like a speakerphone.

Are you sure? Some of the reviews say that when the devise is plugged in it disables the sound. I am looking for something exactly like this, but want to make sure I can still hear people when using skype.

hugoleveille

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Are you sure? Some of the reviews say that when the devise is plugged in it disables the sound. I am looking for something exactly like this, but want to make sure I can still hear people when using skype.

There is a speaker button that will bypass the headphone

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
There is a speaker button that will bypass the headphone

Confirmed - but I think this is a relatively recent feature only on the more recent versions of the Skype app. During a call, a panel comes up allowing you to force the use of the onboard speaker (despite there being a plug in the headphone socket).

Makes a neater Skype phone, rather than using cables everywhere, but the sound comes out of the same end of the iPod (the bottom) as the mic. But it's quite usable.

Attachments

• new_skype.jpg
    new_skype.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.