PDA

View Full Version : Using Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse with PowerBook...

tjwett
Jul 7, 2004, 12:10 AM
I use my 12" PowerBook in clamshell mode with an external display and keyboard/mouse. I'd like to make use of the onboard Bluetooth and switch to the Apple wireless versions. Does anyone know if they will work with a closed lid PowerBook? I always thought it had to be USB but I'm not sure. Thanks.

QCassidy352
Jul 7, 2004, 12:42 AM
yes, they will work. I'll be doing the same thing (different brand BT mouse though) with my 12" PB as soon as I can get one of those nice new 20" displays. :)

alia
Jul 7, 2004, 03:54 AM
This is off topic, but I can't figure out how to get my Al PB 15" to work with the lid shut when it's plugged into my TV. I also have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and would like to use it to watch videos hooked up to the TV without the lid open.

How do you set it to not turn off when the lid closes?

tjwett
Jul 7, 2004, 04:05 AM
This is off topic, but I can't figure out how to get my Al PB 15" to work with the lid shut when it's plugged into my TV. I also have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and would like to use it to watch videos hooked up to the TV without the lid open.

How do you set it to not turn off when the lid closes?

hmm, according to the last poster this should work just fine. try opening system prefs and in Displays drag the menu bar from your laptop screen to the TV, so that the TV is acting as the "main" screen. or set it as simple mirroring rather than extended desktop mode by hitting the F7 key. this is what i would try.

tjwett
Jul 7, 2004, 04:08 AM
yes, they will work. I'll be doing the same thing (different brand BT mouse though) with my 12" PB as soon as I can get one of those nice new 20" displays. :)

i know they work but do they indeed work when the lid is closed? the guy below you can't get it working. have you actually seen someone using a BT mouse and keyboard with an external display with the lid closed? i wouldn't want to bother if i have to leave the lid open. i'm not convinced that the PowerBook hardware is able to detect the BT mouse and keyboard when the lid is shut. i think it only looks for USB devices quickly before going to sleep. please tell me i'm wrong.