Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vitaminwater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
I currently have a domain name and hosting with bluehost.com.

I want to buy another domain name from bluehost, is it possible to use both domain names with that hosting? Or do i need to buy 2 hosting packages too?
Basically, all i want is to have the old domain redirect to the new domain. Do i have to do something with a domain transfer?

Help is appreciated. Thanks

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
It states the following on bluehost website.

UNLIMITED Hosting Space (NEW!)
UNLIMITED File Transfer (NEW!)
Host UNLIMITED Domains!!!
2,500 POP/Imap Email Accounts
SSH (Secure Shell), SSL, FTP, Stats
CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
2000/2002 Front Page Extensions
Free Domain Forever!
Free Site Builder (NEW)
24/7 Superb/Responsive Sales/Support

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Unlimited anything, especially bandwidth is an instant red flag that BlueHost oversells. Bandwidth is extremely expensive and there is no way they're going to let you use, let's say, 1TB a month on a $5/m plan.

Don't support that crap.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
As NathanCH says - you need to be wary of unlimited usage. However, if you read through the t&c and discover what that actually means, you might still get yourself a good deal! Just make sure you do proper research first, like with any purchase.

/Doug

Vitaminwater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
So the .com name i had my eye on is already owned by someone else. I've approached them about possible sale of the domain and they informed me they are open to many options and to not hesitate to make an offer.

I'm afraid that since i've never bought a domain privately i will offer to little, or too much. I've read some reports that the standard price is 2 years of income the site would have gotten. As of now the site I'm eyeing is inactive, basically making 0 income a year i assume.

Just curious as to how i should approach these negotiations.

Thanks for the help.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Unlimited anything, especially bandwidth is an instant red flag that BlueHost oversells. Bandwidth is extremely expensive and there is no way they're going to let you use, let's say, 1TB a month on a $5/m plan.

Don't support that crap.

Anything has limits.

All shared servers allocate only a certain amount of resources per account, be it CPU or simultaneous database connections (big factor if you run a dynamic site), storage, or bandwidth.

Bluehost has decent reviews for hosting company in its price range.

So the .com name i had my eye on is already owned by someone else. I've approached them about possible sale of the domain and they informed me they are open to many options and to not hesitate to make an offer.

I'm afraid that since i've never bought a domain privately i will offer to little, or too much. I've read some reports that the standard price is 2 years of income the site would have gotten. As of now the site I'm eyeing is inactive, basically making 0 income a year i assume.

Just curious as to how i should approach these negotiations.

Thanks for the help.

Well typically domain names sell for hundreds of dollars.

One word domain names with established business can sell for 6, 7, or even 8 figures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.