PDA

View Full Version : 3.1.1 -- podcasts syncing in random order

mll
Sep 13, 2009, 09:23 PM
Another user posted: I just downloaded itunes 9 and 3.1.1 for my second gen ipod touch. Now my podcasts appear to be in random order on the touch. They are in order in itunes. Any idea on how to sort them so they play by date episode?

See: podcasts syncing in random order (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10182870)

===================================

and I have the same probme with a first gen iPod touch

I tried to get apple to help, Case Number 136011204 , but they said.

Never heard of it.
Here is a generic document on downloading to the iPod.
You can't see the Case log, e.g. what Apple knows you reported, and what they responded or plan to do next.
There is no way to contact Apple support via Email to update the problem. (Only Re-Phone them)
Known Problem.
Apple will release a patch for it.
There is no documentation that Apple will fix it.
It can be fixed by ... (which do not fix it)

It is unsupported to un-do the update that broke your touch, thou perhaps Googling "ipod touch old .ipsw" will find a copy on a site on the WEB.
8) Apple does not allow users to see "Known Bugs" even though they are on the wall of their support office.

I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER... (Note: this same type of problem occurred with an upgrade that killed my Nano a few years ago for a few weeks), This seems to be a problem, as do others I see in this forum, and I would expect

1) Apple to own it and log the known bugs
2) Have a well defined way to revert to the older, working version of the Touch/iTunes software. until they do get around to fixing the problem.

Any thoughts...

I don't know what else I can do or which other sites to suggest that this is an example of the lack of user support that some of apples users are encountering.

It sure makes me less likely to upgrade to the iPhone

bthom70
Sep 15, 2009, 01:06 PM
I had the same problem but only for 2 feeds out my 25 or so.
What I did was delete the feed and re-download the same episodes in the correct order and it worked. I know it's not a perfect fix but it did help me.

mll
Sep 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
I spent a few hours with Apple, Level 2 support, and there was currently NO fix, Reloading iTunes, iPod software, etc did not FIX it. (Case 136011204 ) and they does not support older versions of the software.

They are now declaring a known problem, and will look into fixing the software?

On the other hand, it seems that the dumb PlayLists work and that this is a problem only of Smart PlayLists, so the bothersome kluge is to:

. 1) Create a dumb PlayList, and set its sort order.
. 2) Allow the Smart PlayList to collect the files and then do a bulk drag of them into the dumb PlayList.
. 3) Sync the iPod to the iTunes

. 4) The Dumb Playlist will contain the right files and they will be sorted on your iPod as you want.

. 5) Once you have listened to the Podcasts, hopefully the playcounts will indicate most of the ones you listend to, Delete them from the dumb PlayList, and the SmartPlay list, and then go back to Step 1).

==============================

I realize it is a bother, but at least it is a tolerable {for me} work-around until Apple fixes the problem.

We still need to remind Apple that the Work-Around is not a Fix, and we want this fixed and we want a better interface to their Know Bug list so that each of us do not have to go thru the same procedure calls to Apple Support!!!

MacFanJeff
Sep 20, 2009, 08:46 AM
This is now a very common problem that has been reported to Apple and MANY users are having lots of issues with 3.1 software on it. In fact, look at the threads dealing with the iPhone 3G software issues and they are the same as the iPod Touch. All 3 generations of the Touch are affected the same, I have a 1st generation and it has those same issues as reported here.

According to recent press articles, Apple is aware of the syncing issues, playlist issues, double songs/double podcasts, unorganized, etc. that have been reported. They are working on a fix, but don't know when it will be released yet. One website I checked said they thought it might be within the next 30 days.

Here's hoping this all gets fixed soon, as it stands now, it is not usable for syncing new podcasts or music so I have to listen on my computer as some things sync and other don't.

LordEntropy
Sep 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
I am relieved to see it is not just me!!

I am studying for an exam using podcasts as the learning medium. I have 74 podcasts in random order which is a pain as you can imagine. lets hope they fix a lot of these issues soon!!

merlyn52
Sep 20, 2009, 10:44 PM
My podcast issue is slightly different. Since installing 3.1.1, new podcasts don't appear after a sync. That is, they aren't visible: I can't navigate to them. If I use search and type in the name, I can find and listen to them. Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac category has disappeared entirely from view. Other categories remain, but the recent podcasts under them don't appear. Yet, all are on the device if I type in their names. Most frustrating.

MacFanJeff
Sep 20, 2009, 11:38 PM
My podcast issue is slightly different. Since installing 3.1.1, new podcasts don't appear after a sync. That is, they aren't visible: I can't navigate to them. If I use search and type in the name, I can find and listen to them. Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac category has disappeared entirely from view. Other categories remain, but the recent podcasts under them don't appear. Yet, all are on the device if I type in their names. Most frustrating.

No, yours is no different at all so don't worry. Mine does the same thing. As I pointed out in the prior post, there are MANY issues with the new 3.1 software and those are just some of them. The missing podcast, out of order songs/podcasts, syncing issues, playlist issues, wifi issues, etc. are ALL part of the issues being reported. Apple is aware of them and it will not be a simple fix from what I hear so it could be awhile, at least 30 days, maybe more.

Everyone should call Apple support though so they get as many people as possible calling in about issues and get more people working on the new code for a fix.

merlyn52
Sep 23, 2009, 11:32 AM
iTunes 9.0.1 showed up last night. Things changed re my podcast problem, but didn't change enough to repair the problem. One podcast category (Writer's Almanac) reappeared after a week's absence, while another (Prairie Home Companion) disappeared. Within given categories, a random mix of podcasts shows up. Some recent podcasts now show with 9.0.1, while others don't show. I finally phoned Apple, but the lady at the other end seemed unaware of the problem and had difficulty comprehending what I was describing. As usual, ALL podcasts are on the device, but I can't conveniently navigate to them.

MacFanJeff
Sep 24, 2009, 12:28 AM
iTunes 9.0.1 showed up last night. Things changed re my podcast problem, but didn't change enough to repair the problem. One podcast category (Writer's Almanac) reappeared after a week's absence, while another (Prairie Home Companion) disappeared. Within given categories, a random mix of podcasts shows up. Some recent podcasts now show with 9.0.1, while others don't show. I finally phoned Apple, but the lady at the other end seemed unaware of the problem and had difficulty comprehending what I was describing. As usual, ALL podcasts are on the device, but I can't conveniently navigate to them.

Same here, I have those issues too and others. Did you try to escalate your call to Apple for a call back? I have Apple Care and waiting to get a call from a level 2 tech person there. Not sure if it will help any but hopefully more people will keep calling them about all these issues. If you Google search, you will find many tipics on this on various web sites including Apple so it's NOT something unheard of. The word should have reached Apple by now according to what I have read and they are working on an update to 3.1.1 but don't know when.

If anyone gets new info please post it here.

cmichaelb
Sep 24, 2009, 02:46 AM
Same here, I have those issues too and others. Did you try to escalate your call to Apple for a call back? I have Apple Care and waiting to get a call from a level 2 tech person there. Not sure if it will help any but hopefully more people will keep calling them about all these issues. If you Google search, you will find many tipics on this on various web sites including Apple so it's NOT something unheard of. The word should have reached Apple by now according to what I have read and they are working on an update to 3.1.1 but don't know when.

If anyone gets new info please post it here.

Odd, I was having the random podcast sort on my iPod after 3.1 and the new update to iTunes fixed it for my iPod- I didn't do a thing.

What about deleting all podcast then resyncing them? That might do the trick.