PDA

View Full Version : Apple in danger of missing out on the fruits of its labour

MacBytes
Jul 7, 2004, 10:42 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple in danger of missing out on the fruits of its labour (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040707114206)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Jul 7, 2004, 12:27 PM
It's odd when people who write professionally want Apple to fail so badly that they're willing to write things that make so little sense. Have some self-respect! :)

"unless it acts soon, Apple could see its commanding lead in digital music disappear. The risk is that history would repeat itself, with Apple again relegated to the fringes of a booming market."

"Almost three years after the launch of the iPod, there is little indication yet of how Apple plans to stay ahead of its rivals. "Sooner or later someone else will figure out music as well as Apple. Then it will become one among many,""

"Competitors appear to be closing in.
Last week, Sony became the latest rival to launch what it hopes will be an iPod-beating gadget: a 20-gigabyte digital Walkman that is both cheaper and holds more songs than Apple's iconic device."

"Apple is going to downplay the notion of a video iPod because they don't have one at the moment. But that is something that is going to have to change," says Mr Gartenberg."

"Apple has introduced sleeker iPod models with more capacity, and devices that will enable some consumers to play digital music on their home and car stereos. Unexpectedly, the company has allowed rival Hewlett-Packard to resell iPods.
But these hardly amount to the big leap forward that will enable Apple to stay ahead of competitors."

(Oh no! It's been three whole years and Apple has NO plan to compete with such wonderful innovations as Sony 8TRAC! :D So... what are the competitors doing that is better than an iPod Mini Apple can't make fast enough, better than having a product so popular that HP wants to re-brand it, and better than AirPort Express with AirTunes? The article neglects to explain. Ah, but only "some" consumers can play digital music on their stereos... oh, wait, every iPod and Mac has always had line out, and it's built into iPod docks.)

OhEsTen
Jul 7, 2004, 01:04 PM
I agree nagromee.

These stories are all the same. Of course ANY company out there could do exactly what Apple is doing but NONE of them have!

iMovie. Apple started the mini DV revolution. After 5 years, you would think someone would have come close to matching iMovie's ease and power but no one has. I know a couple of people who just bought expensive $ony desktops to try and do movies and they can't believe that iMovie is free and kicks butt on $ony & m$'s crappy "free" video editors. One of them even bought a $99 program and it still doesn't match iMovie.

I have given up trying to convince people the benefits of the Mac. They just don't get it. I say let them suffer with their crap. Let them keep thinking that Apple is on the verge of BK. As long as we know the truth what else matters?

millhouse_man
Jul 7, 2004, 02:18 PM
Well put Ohsten.
It just kills me to think that so many people out there who are using inferior products won't listen to me when I try to tell them of the advantages of the Macintosh. I tell my friends now that I don't care if they use a Mac or not, because I know that I'm using a marvelous product while they are all busy rebooting their windows boxes.

nagromme
Jul 7, 2004, 03:58 PM
I like basic logic that amounts to:

* Some other company eventually WILL (not may) make music products as good as Apple makes. (Apple's products will stop getting better, of course.)

* When that company does that, it means Apple will suddenly have MANY (not just one) companies who compete with equally good products.

* And of all those MANY equally great music technology companies, Apple will probably be the one who vanishes from music. The others, whoever they may be, will be the ones who succeed in music."

* And the ones that succeed in music where Apple failed will probably be companies like Microsoft who offer portable MOVIE players--the very keystone to a successful MUSIC venture.

It's just embarrassing for the publications that let this stuff get to print. And yet it's free mindshare for Apple every time they get mentioned--a music article can't NOT mention Apple now. :)

iMeowbot
Jul 7, 2004, 04:50 PM
Apple has introduced sleeker iPod models with more capacity, and devices that will enable some consumers to play digital music on their home and car stereos. Unexpectedly, the company has allowed rival Hewlett-Packard to resell iPods. But these hardly amount to the big leap forward that will enable Apple to stay ahead of competitors.
Oh no! It's been three whole years and Apple has NO plan to compete with such wonderful innovations as Sony 8TRAC!
(and more such)

Yep. What's in it for Apple to leapfrog itself when the competition is still playing catch up? Wait until they look like they might be getting close, and finally becoming a threat to the original product, and then raise the bar on them. Why give away the playbook in advance?

OhEsTen
Jul 7, 2004, 05:07 PM
This whole situation makes me think of the real comparison between m$ and Apple.

When m$ feels "threatened" they buy out the company, or push out the company with "strong arm" tactics.

Apple on the other hand, actually innovates, then when other companies appear to get close to immitating their products/software, they release something that far surpasses even their own products.

The iPod was (and still is) the best portable music player on the market, but then they released the iPod mini. The rest of the industry has years of catch-up.

I guess millhouse man & the rest of us can rest assured that we've taken the "red pill".

Gyroscope
Jul 7, 2004, 08:41 PM
This article is mindless and flawed.

Generaly its speculative "what if " crap we get to read so often from these
so called "analyst/journalyst" types. If this writer did any research he would have known that Sony HD based player doesn't hold more songs as article mentions. It's a ****ty marketing trick from Sony by using lowest 48 kb/s bit rate that is really crap to listen and very misleading.

shadowfax
Jul 7, 2004, 10:50 PM
ahhhh, a financial timeout-from-reality... always enjoyable. it's too bad they can't be sued for libel. in a perfect world, they'd be neutered to preserve the gene pool. anyway...