Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heath82371

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
i cannot get pics uploaded into elements 6. i was previously using iphoto for all photo applications and i guess that is where they are stored. when i try to view any of my pictures to use in elements, the entire iphoto program opens. how can i upload entire files easily into elements? i am totally new to Macs and i am not very computer savvy. thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It sounds like your image files are associated with iPhoto, so iPhoto opens as default. What you want to do is "get info" of an image.

Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 7.39.28 AM.png
Open the menu that says "open with:".
Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 7.39.48 AM.png
Change that application to Elements.
Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 7.41.16 AM.png
Remember to click on the button that says "change all".
Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 7.40.02 AM.png

And every file with that extension (jpeg) will open with Elements.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The best way is to continue using iPhoto to store and manage your photos but, within iPhoto there is a Preferences option where you can specify a "Default Image Editor". But "Adobe Elements 6" in this space. Then when you are inside iPhoto and double click an image, that image will com up inside Elements. When you save it will go back.

This is really the best of both programs and is the easiest way to go.

heath82371

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
chris-when in iphoto under preferences there is no place for me to change the default. there is nothing even remotely similar to what you described. is there some other way to achieve this?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
chris-when in iphoto under preferences there is no place for me to change the default. there is nothing even remotely similar to what you described. is there some other way to achieve this?
From meory it is Pref --> general and then check "edit using external editor and then you have to navigate the app you want to use as your editor. (You will find it in the Applications folder.)

No Mac here to try it on, just Linux and Solaris here at the office.

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
You'll find the setting in General > Edit in > choose Application from the menu > PSE 6
You''l also need to choose Edit when double clicking on an image.

heath82371

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
once i open iphoto and go to pref, general....edit it isn't a choice. there is nothing like that at all.....errrr......i love my mac, i love my mac, i love my mac.......

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
once i open iphoto and go to pref, general....edit it isn't a choice. there is nothing like that at all.....errrr......i love my mac, i love my mac, i love my mac.......

Which version of iPhoto does your Mac have?

This screen shot is from iPhoto v7. Choose In application... from the Edit photo drop down menu to choose PSE.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpeg
    Picture 1.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 58

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Choose "In Application" then you have to navigate to "Applications" when the finder window opens. In "Applications" you should see Adobe Photoshop Elements 6. I don't have my mac in front of me but I believe it puts an Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 folder inside "Applications." Open that and the Elements 6 app will be there. Choose that one.

heath82371

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
ok, i found in application in the drop down menu. i selected adobe elements 6....now what? just reopen elements 6 and my pics will be there? i am so sorry that i need a step-by-step tutorial.....

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
ok, i found in application in the drop down menu. i selected adobe elements 6....now what? just reopen elements 6 and my pics will be there? i am so sorry that i need a step-by-step tutorial.....

Choose the photo in the iPhoto Library and hit the Edit button. The photo should open up in PSE.
Or if you have chosen Edits Photo in iPhoto Preferences > General tab > Double-click Photo, just double click on the photo in the iPhoto Library and it should open in PSE.

Most of your questions will be answered in the iPhoto Help menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.